Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For weird, low-key shake-ups, the candidates sponsored by the Pittsburgh DSA are doing fairly well at the moment.

https://twitter.com/pghDSA/status/928087858732257281
In fact, Pittsburgh DSA is calling it for Mik Pappas to unseat several-term 24-year incumbent Ron Costa, Sr. It's important to note that Costa, not Pappas, was the Democrat in this election*, so Pappas' core message was not to vote straight D.

Anita Prizio is the DSA and Our Revolution sponsored candidate for county council. She did get the Dem nomination to run against incumbent Edward Kress. The race is too close to call, but, for now, has her ahead by 2% with 77% of precincts in. Stratch that, 97% in and Prizio is up by 1.5% (about 250 votes)!

All in all, I've got to hand it to Pitt's DSA to mobilize out for these "unimportant" elections. I know they pulled out all the stops for Pappas, and it really shows in beating the incumbent Democrat.

* Note sure how unusual it is, but judges are allowed to run for both parties. Magistrates always run in contested elections (upper judges only face retention votes), so most go unchallenged as the Repub/Dem candidate. I honestly don't know which side Costa truly lies on, but his stance of being against judicial activism in landlord-tenant disputes makes me wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

achillesforever6 posted:

Costa is also a part of powerful political family machine so its good to see them get poo poo on

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. There was four or five of them floating around local and state politics.

Bullshit. Hoboken isn't a major US City. :colbert:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Good night’s sleep and a Stromboli and a wife cuddle and waking up to Schrodinger’s House of Delegates. Gonna shred some paper voter data and dance all day.

What a lovely world.

And the secret to the Dem's success last night is revealed. Time to take you to REAL America and show you what we do to liars and cheats! Boys, take'em to VA-06.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Venuz Patrol posted:

so what was the actual vote share in the house of representatives for each party

Was 51-49 for the Republicans.

If this becomes official, it goes to 50-50.

Finally, there's the 28th district where the registrar, for unknown reasons, randomly moved hundreds of voters into different precincts out of the district. This election was won by the Republican incumbent with 82 votes, but around 200 voters were given ballots for the 88th district instead of the 28th. This is highly unusual, and a likely solution will be a special election.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 19, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^ lol i am a dumb Edit: refereing Mind_Taker, not PPJ.

evilweasel posted:

also, those 200 or so voters voted for the democrat on the ballots they got in numbers that, if translated directly to the correct candidates, would have flipped the election.

True, so there is a very good chance that this ends up being a Dem pickup.

Would the special election be open to everyone in the district, or restricted to those in the contested precincts? Further, could it just be limited to those who were given the wrong ballot? I know everything is done via secret ballot, but don't the clerks in charge of a precinct log who votes? I dislike the open election option, specifically, because knowing state-wide results will change voting compared to what would/should have happened back in November.

That said, it just might be the best option available to correct this.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furthermore, Sen. Carter Glass (of Glass-Seagall fame, no less) was a drafter of the 1902 VA Constitution and used such language to pass the clause of the VA Constitution that disenfranchised citizens convicted of a host of crimes.

The Atlantic ran an article about this when T-Mac restored voting rights last year.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Are you loving making GBS threads me? He gets a call from the GOP and is claiming that the ballot should have counted and this could be allowed?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilweasel posted:

Based on the Virginia standards, if what they're saying is true (voted for both, but crossed out one of the ovals) the ballot clearly should have counted: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/Files/ElectionAdministration/ElectionLaw/ExamplesforHandcounting.pdf
Look at the bottom of page 11.

So the official definitely hosed up. It's not like this challenge is baseless - it's basically a question of procedure, at what point is it too late to challenge?

The procedure question is the one that's getting me hung up on this. He certified everything as hunky-dory and, then, gets a call from the GOP telling him to contest his certification. It's not a good look and I don't think the ballot box should've been opened because of that.

Also, section 8 mentions crossing out or erasing the mark, not the candidate's name. That said, section 11 does state that a negative mark for candidate A and a positive one for candidate B should be a vote for B.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Barbe Rouge posted:

even the GOP can be in the right sometimes
so if this one vote is flipped, dems lose the election and the house?

I get that, but to have someone from the party breathing down your neck to rescind your certification after it comes down to one vote scream impropriety. But that's just me.

evilweasel posted:

So the ballot is actually a little bit more ambiguious than previously reported:

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943559301737713665

Democrats are arguing that because he put an X through Gillispee, you can't assume the slash was to void the vote for Simonds. I do not know if this means it's coming down to the merits of voter intent, or if the judges had them argue that point as well and are deciding both the argument about if they can hear the challenge and what the intent was at the same time.

Going back to the vote counting guide you posted, I can definitely see this as not conforming to rule 8:

quote:

(8) Any ballot that has any mark, as above, in the target area or candidate area for one candidate, and on which other marks in the target areas or candidate areas for any other candidates have been partially erased, scratched out, or otherwise obliterated, shall be counted as a vote for the candidate for which the mark was not erased, scratched out, or otherwise obliterated, provided no other candidate is similarly
marked.

Especially given that all the examples show that the incorrect choice was clearly scribbled out with a blob.

cheetah7071 posted:

My read on that ballot is no vote for governor and a vote for the republican in the house but I'm not an elections official who actually knows Virgina ballot law

Funny you mention that, because the vote was counted for Governor, but not for Delegate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ague Proof posted:

So it's 50-50 for 50-50?

But what is the over/under?

• Locked thread