Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

Marx's prose is top-notch among German philosophers. Sure, you could trip over that bar, but compare him to Kant, Hegel, Wittgenstein, or Heidegger.

i'll give you the other three but wittgenstein does not belong in this list at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

I'll give you tractatus but I always found Philosophical Investigations to be a slog.

that's honestly the first time i've heard anybody say that about PI :shrug:

goddamn :vince:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This morning I sat down at my republican co-worker's desk in DC and told him that it was stupid for us to go vote 45 minutes out in Fairfax county in the rain, what are the chances either candidate wins/loses by 1 vote? Then I said I was going to the gym at lunch, and drove down picked up my parents from Vienna and we all voted

lmao gj

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it's not deleted, she just fixed a mistake i think. tweet is here:

https://twitter.com/elisabeth/status/940606122318278657

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno that I have a solution to the problem but the fact that out justice system literally pays people to do everything they can to get a guilty verdict is pretty hosed up

well, the solution would be to reform your justice system into something better.

edit:

evilweasel posted:

a prosecutor is a fundamental part of a legal system that has criminal laws, so unless you're an anarchist it is stupid as gently caress to rant generally about a prosecutor instead of specific bad things you think the prosecutor did

this is especially important for a us attorney, which is different from a local prosecutor w/r/t poor and minorities because federal prosecutors tend not to be doing the jailing of the poor and minorities on penny ante poo poo because it doesn't rise to the level of worth their time, and because a us attorney actually has substantial discretion in what to direct their office to focus on so you can look at what they specifically did instead of your general dislike for the system as a whole

prosecutors might be necessary, but adversarial systems are not.

botany fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

ok, what are your problems with the proprietorial decisions made by the us attorney for the state of alabama for the years 1997-2001

this is such a stupid line of questioning. KM is clearly, clearly saying that the endemic racism in the justice system makes every prosecutor complicit, because that's what racist systems do. that's independent of any one individual. you can tuck your law pee pee back into your law pants.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Please describe a justice system that doesn't have prosecutors and yet somehow still remains impartial/fair.

Because that's what you're arguing right now. If that's not your argument, then clarify.

Koalas March posted:

yall are acting like I have a problem with prosecutors as a profession, I don't. I have a problem with the way the prosecutors we have now choose to prosecute, which is racist af

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Brony Car posted:

How does one achieve a “non-adversarial” criminal justice system? Most people don’t like getting caught for commtting crimes, admitting that they did them, or going to jail.

There is plenty of room for reform in the justice system and our country’s overall criminal and civil legal setup, but given some of the responses to evilweasel’s points, I wonder if some of you guys have really thought this through.

yeah man it's definitely me who hasn't thought this through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisitorial_system

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Brony Car posted:

I know what an inquisitorial system is. What I was hoping for was a more detailed explanation of how that system would be fairer than what the US has now and how you would make sure that happened. Since you disn’t write more than a Wiki link, I guess I’m supposed to conclude that you think having American judges get more involved in both the prosecution of crimes and the overseeing of the adjudication process is going to lead to fairer outcomes.

My issue with that is that you would likely have to change how you select the judges in this country because judicial bais is more likely to come through in this set-up. If you still have electsd judges who need to act tough on crime and appeal to racist voters with high conviction rates and tough sentences, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise on what happens.

this is going to blow your mind, but: stop electing judges. model the whole system after one of the foreign justice system that work better. also this is a massive derail that i'm done with now. if you want to make a thread talking about justice systems i'm all for it though.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cerebral Bore posted:

Tom Perez is a shitter who had to be knocked hard by reality a few times to realize what every sensible person realized a year ago WRT electoral strategy.

man you are looking real hard for the brown lining on the silver cloud aren't you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

well poo poo. is there a twitch stream where we can sweat simonds' coin flip?

come on one tiiiiime

• Locked thread