Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I like the one where over the next trillions of years humanity spreads out and conquers the entire galaxy. Thanks to life extension technology and starship advances, these apes from Earth are able to even travel through the black to other galaxies. Eventually the entire universe is populated by a number of humans so staggering that it might as well be infinite. Our power is absolute. Humanity (or more accurately, the multitude of new species that share humanity as a common ancestor) rules all of existence.

And then it ends. Entropy claims the life of every star. The universe shuts down and takes humanity with it. Our long journey from the primordial slime on a little planet tucked away on the outer edge of the Milky Way to Star Lords who fill the entirety of everything was pointless. It didn't matter at all. We might as well have killed ourselves in our infancy with nukes or global warming or whatever. The outcome is exactly the same. We flee oblivion, but it will find us. It will swallow us whole, and then it'll be like none of this ever even happened.
No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Everyone fucks each other to death

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Entropy is kind of special though, in that it literally is unsolvable. Not unless thermodynamics is wrong, and you'd think we'd know by now whether it is.

But if I'm people living at the end of time, I'm still dedicating resources to see if entropy can be cheated, somehow, because why not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

Entropy is kind of special though, in that it literally is unsolvable. Not unless thermodynamics is wrong, and you'd think we'd know by now whether it is.

But if I'm people living at the end of time, I'm still dedicating resources to see if entropy can be cheated, somehow, because why not.

My Man, have you heard of the science fiction trope Zero Point Energy? That is energy derived from entropy?

Crazy poo poo!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
thats unfortunately not how it works, just because the ground state isn't zero doesn't mean you can get work from it (you can't)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
kind of similar to how quantum entanglement would seem to allow instant communication, but you can't actually use it to send information faster than light

turns out the universe has fine print that no one reads lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yes, we will never make any more theoretical physics discoveries after right now. ever.

em driiiiive mother fuckkkker

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

rudatron posted:

kind of similar to how quantum entanglement would seem to allow instant communication, but you can't actually use it to send information faster than light

turns out that quantum entanglement has ways to manipulate the way you move, the way you act, the way you don't want to, and that you're entangled to do whatever anyone wants you to do because you're not in control of your molecules

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

While I agree with the "fine print" as we understand it now. I see all the current limitations as temporary. Though, if I'm honest, that is merely engineering optimism speaking, and nothing based on science.

That said, I will never call a well--founded theory of something challenging traditional physics "impossible."

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Hi I'm here to say Roko's Basilisk is dumb.

Also once read a funny thing about how if it were possible to harness "zero point" energy you might blow up the solar system or something if you tried.

Cause really the difference between lightning a flashlight and setting off a supernova from an infinite energy source would be all about flow.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Jan 7, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Concordat posted:

Hi I'm here to say Roko's Basilisk is dumb.
Well, duh. Even if you accept the basic premises of omnipotent AI eventually being created, it still falls down a flight of stairs when you even briefly consider the question of motivation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think Roko's Basilisk is dumb as gently caress, but i like the idea of 'dangerous information'

like, for example, "the game". Not too dangerous, but certainly wastes everyone's time.

Information that could get you tortured to give up

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Baloogan posted:

i think Roko's Basilisk is dumb as gently caress, but i like the idea of 'dangerous information'

like, for example, "the game". Not too dangerous, but certainly wastes everyone's time.

Information that could get you tortured to give up

huh, this is probably the longest stretch of time I've gone in-between "losings" of the game

That's fascinating, the idea of the game as an information virus. It's like herpes, a life-long std that flairs up from time-to-time and can be spread to others during a break out.

As for a future AI "punishing" people that don't help it, that's dumb, but I could very easily imagine a future AI that uses time travel to insure it's own creation, which would initiate an interesting time-loop where it's essentially its own cause.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

I like the one where over the next trillions of years humanity spreads out and conquers the entire galaxy. Thanks to life extension technology and starship advances, these apes from Earth are able to even travel through the black to other galaxies. Eventually the entire universe is populated by a number of humans so staggering that it might as well be infinite. Our power is absolute. Humanity (or more accurately, the multitude of new species that share humanity as a common ancestor) rules all of existence.

And then it ends. Entropy claims the life of every star. The universe shuts down and takes humanity with it. Our long journey from the primordial slime on a little planet tucked away on the outer edge of the Milky Way to Star Lords who fill the entirety of everything was pointless. It didn't matter at all. We might as well have killed ourselves in our infancy with nukes or global warming or whatever. The outcome is exactly the same. We flee oblivion, but it will find us. It will swallow us whole, and then it'll be like none of this ever even happened.

Or it will repeat itself over and over again with absolutely no end and no beginning on an eternal loop because that is the whole point for we are in gods image and God is the totality of the universe.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
it looks like there isn't a loop from the whole ~science~ thing

imo the universe is a computer for calculating a really complicated energy minimization problem, some multidimensional grad student alien will read off the result in a few minutes (a trillion trillion trillion years our time) and wonder if hes done enough work to justify going to the multidimensional coffee shop for a hyperlatte.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Or it will repeat itself over and over again with absolutely no end and no beginning on an eternal loop because that is the whole point for we are in gods image and God is the totality of the universe.

Respectfully, that sounds like a way worse fate to me, Senator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vNYZddU6A

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
he gets back to his workstation and discovers, poo poo, one of the variables he plugged in was incorrect, and it allowed for complicated life forms to form in the sim (which, kinda like animal testing today, was frowned upon). He coughs, sips his hyperlatte, resets the experiment, double checks everything, compiles, then reruns the universe. This time nothing more complicated than a complex carbohydrate forms. he leans back on his hyperchair and daydreams about a multidimensional undergrad as the majesty of creation reruns. (he hosed up this time too)

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

The mere fact that this is just as plausible as Christianity/Deism/Tribal Creation Myths/Whatever is sad, somehow. It's hard to discern how to live in the face of all these possibilities without resorting to cliches like "Love the people around you" and "do the best you can to be a positive force within your limited sphere of influence." Maybe I could surrender to a life as a cog in the grand design of a Cosmic Deity, but if I'm just some speck of dust in an extra-dimensional college kid's thesis, then, idk. It's like spending your life working for Walmart. All this suffering in the service of some distant, nebulous entity that doesn't give a poo poo about you.

I think I'd probably feel different if I had wife/kids/responsibilities/etc, but as it stands I find all this very troubling, not because the extra-dimensional grad student might reset us when he discovers that his sim got infected with the Trump.exe virus, but just because of the meaninglessness of it all

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
god is dead you are free do what you want whatever you choose there is no one else to blame

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
im gonna blame you

because its all your fault

you monster

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

As for a future AI "punishing" people that don't help it, that's dumb, but I could very easily imagine a future AI that uses time travel to insure it's own creation, which would initiate an interesting time-loop where it's essentially its own cause.
Eh, again, kinda falls down when you think about the entity's own perspective, its initiation. Once it exists to act, any steps taken to "ensure its existence" would be unnecessary.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the thing that's scary about the simulated universe hypothesis is that if it's true that a civilization could create a simulated universe, then the possibility that our universe is simulated skyrockets

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Doesn't Hawking's radiation theory go against the idea of time as a flat circle (i.e. that heat death and not a "big crunch" scenario is what lies ahead)?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i do think the ideal thing we could all do as a species is just agree to stop breeding. put sterilization drugs in the water like alex jones says after a worldwide referendum, and just stop havin babies forever. society collapses in a few decades as the last human generation begins losing the capacity to care for itself, but the process is thoroughly irrevocable by then and won't last long regardless. in less than a century this whole globe could be peacefully absolved of its human burden. our last acts as a species could be to labor towards permanently and cleanly decommissioning our most deleterious technologies as our energy generation and manufacturing needs decline then collapse. the last old men and women lie down in their crypts to die, and maybe we leave a few weird monuments recording our grotesque history to be pored over by the archeologists of the land-octopi empires eons hence

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

zeal posted:

i do think the ideal thing we could all do as a species is just agree to stop breeding. put sterilization drugs in the water like alex jones says after a worldwide referendum, and just stop havin babies forever. society collapses in a few decades as the last human generation begins losing the capacity to care for itself, but the process is thoroughly irrevocable by then and won't last long regardless. in less than a century this whole globe could be peacefully absolved of its human burden. our last acts as a species could be to labor towards permanently and cleanly decommissioning our most deleterious technologies as our energy generation and manufacturing needs decline then collapse. the last old men and women lie down in their crypts to die, and maybe we leave a few weird monuments recording our grotesque history to be pored over by the archeologists of the land-octopi empires eons hence

sure, but instead of octopii or cockroaches I'd like to hand it all over to these two

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just listened to those two take turns telling each other that their love would last to the end of time

they're gonna kill em like tae, our species must be stopped and infertility is the cure

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
tay was the best and proof that we should halt all AI research

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Betelgeuse isn't predicted to create a gamma-ray burst but it's not impossible, and it's nearby enough that if it did and was pointed at us, it'd be a bad day.

Still a small chance in hell, though.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

Nearby Supernova is impossible because there aren't any stars close enough that are large enough to go supernova and antimatter debris is pretty much impossible because we'd be detecting gamma ray bursts from the annihilations all over the goddamn place as it hit ANY bits of matter like dust or tiny bits of pulverized asteroids etc

doesn't need to be a big chunk of antimatter, like, maybe a baseball sized bit

oh andother thing im worried about is the 3 body system of alpha centauri with its 3 stars maybe will be perturbed and all 3 stars will collide and it will KABLAMMO

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The mere fact that this is just as plausible as Christianity/Deism/Tribal Creation Myths/Whatever is sad, somehow. It's hard to discern how to live in the face of all these possibilities without resorting to cliches like "Love the people around you" and "do the best you can to be a positive force within your limited sphere of influence." Maybe I could surrender to a life as a cog in the grand design of a Cosmic Deity, but if I'm just some speck of dust in an extra-dimensional college kid's thesis, then, idk. It's like spending your life working for Walmart. All this suffering in the service of some distant, nebulous entity that doesn't give a poo poo about you.

I think I'd probably feel different if I had wife/kids/responsibilities/etc, but as it stands I find all this very troubling, not because the extra-dimensional grad student might reset us when he discovers that his sim got infected with the Trump.exe virus, but just because of the meaninglessness of it all

What if Trump is the grad student

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Respectfully, that sounds like a way worse fate to me, Senator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8vNYZddU6A

dumb

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

doesn't need to be a big chunk of antimatter, like, maybe a baseball sized bit

oh andother thing im worried about is the 3 body system of alpha centauri with its 3 stars maybe will be perturbed and all 3 stars will collide and it will KABLAMMO

Holy gently caress! Antimatter should be measured in MASS not Volume you loving philistine!!!!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
cubs won everything from here on out is just a freeroll imo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

A baseball sized bit would annihilate in the atmosphere

yeah but with an E=MC^2 explosion!!

149 g * the speed of light * the speed of light =
1.33914522 × 10^16 joules

1 kiloton [explosive] is equal to 4.184E+12 joule

so it would be a 3250 kT explosion!!

hm

only 3 mT

weak

gently caress,

okay a bowling ball piece of antimatter!!!!!!!!!

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Baloogan posted:

yeah but with an E=MC^2 explosion!!

149 g * the speed of light * the speed of light =
1.33914522 × 10^16 joules

1 kiloton [explosive] is equal to 4.184E+12 joule

so it would be a 3250 kT explosion!!

hm

only 3 mT

weak

gently caress,

okay a bowling ball piece of antimatter!!!!!!!!!

it wouldnt' even be an explosion because the energy created would naturally push all other mater away from the object so it would be a slow leak of very bright light that might cause a slight increase in cancer rates to anyone exposed to it

maybe a couple of cases of blindness

it would need to be a big chunk to really be dangerous on an existential level

like mountain sized

or maybe like, building sized on the small scale

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what about a runaway planet

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Dumbasses in the conspiracy corners of society have been predicting a runaway planet or one with a really eccentric orbit will kill us any day now, usually they call it Nibiru or Planet X.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just want my goddamned super science ok

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

Dumbasses in the conspiracy corners of society have been predicting a runaway planet or one with a really eccentric orbit will kill us any day now, usually they call it Nibiru or Planet X.

nemesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Concordat posted:

So you're saying we're due.

• Locked thread