Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

harperdc posted:

If you're just joining us, Minoru Suzuki was a leader/founder of PANCRASE, legit shoot fighter, a Gotch disciple, and loving awesome. Also billed as "The Angriest Man in the World."

And has easily the best theme in NJPW save maybe Liger.

https://youtu.be/A0P-SgpwYnE
He also loves One Piece a lot so have ACH join Suzuki-gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I saw quite a few people saying that Kenny should have won the belt last night, especially because of all the fresh eyes and life him and Naito have brought to the product. People need to remember that Okada was just crowned the Ace a year ago. There was never any chance of him losing under the Dome this year, and probably for a few years yet. The only thing that ever mattered was whether the match was going to make Kenny look like he COULD have won, especially without help from the BCs, and cement his position as a top guy so he can win the belt later. Remember, he was a Junior until this year, and every other guy who went up to Heavyweight from Jr. has taken years to earn being booked to this level. He came within a hair of beating the Ace on his own merits, without help, and never got to use his own finisher. Kenny Omega has arrived.

What we should be really celebrating is that they DID let Naito win. That was the big question mark, if they had the balls to let the Old Ace lose under the dome a second time in two years, if they had that level of confidence in Naito or if they were going to dismiss his current run as a flash in the pan. Thankfully the stars aligned and they pulled that trigger. The Tana/Okada/Nakamura/Styles set has officially become the Okada/Naito/Omega/?? set, and its going to mean years of great feuds, just like the old one did

If I were going to make a wild guess about a storyline this year, it would be that Tana gets the IC belt back or set his sights on the NEVER Openweight, and successfully defends it at WK12 this year. They can still keep his character alive a bit longer by doing that because both his Dome Losses have been as a challenger, which means he has one last golden egg to give in the form of "The first man to win a title from him under the dome."

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Is chaos a face faction, or at least a little more so than lij and bullet club? It kinda seemed that way outside of the team they had in the tag title match. Sorry, wk was the first njpw show I've seen in full I'm just trying to get my bearings right going forward.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I believe Chaos was inititally a heel faction but they shifted to face during the rise of the Bullet Club under Prince Devitt?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

shiksa posted:

Is chaos a face faction, or at least a little more so than lij and bullet club? It kinda seemed that way outside of the team they had in the tag title match. Sorry, wk was the first njpw show I've seen in full I'm just trying to get my bearings right going forward.

Chaos are the main face faction in NJPW, though some members can have edge depending on who they feud with (e.g. Will Ospreay and his potty mouth trying to dethrone KUSHIDA). The tag team match featured Toru Yano who is a beloved scamp for his cheating rather than being booed. Sort of like late era Eddie Guerrero.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

<-suzuki-gun--LIJ--bullet club--CHAOS--GBH--new japan main force->

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Chaos are the main face faction in NJPW, though some members can have edge depending on who they feud with (e.g. Will Ospreay and his potty mouth trying to dethrone KUSHIDA). The tag team match featured Toru Yano who is a beloved scamp for his cheating rather than being booed. Sort of like late era Eddie Guerrero.

Gotcha that makes sense. Yeah the only ones that didn't take much explaining for a complete newcomer that they were faces were tanahashi and kushida.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have no issue with any of the WK booking except maybe having naito bow to tana lol. omega looked like a million bucks and they protected his finish and im hungrier for his win now. over-simplified but okada doesn't become the ace by losing when hes supposed to lose

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

I could understand BC being on the slide a bit but I didn't realize LIJ are considered bigger heels than they are.

Also NJPW main force is all the faces not in groups (Tanahashi, Liger and Tiger, KUSHIDA, TenKoji, etc).

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I'm guessing Omega will beat Suzuki and Naito will lose the IC to, I dunno, Okada, and win the G1. Tanahashi will then face Okada for the IC at WK12, the main event of which is Omega-Naito II, which will be a 7* match.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The Man With the Worst Personality in the World is BACK

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

harperdc posted:

I could understand BC being on the slide a bit but I didn't realize LIJ are considered bigger heels than they are.

Also NJPW main force is all the faces not in groups (Tanahashi, Liger and Tiger, KUSHIDA, TenKoji, etc).

my rationale is LIJ does vicious things like neck chairshots or targeting elgin's eye whereas bullet club basically does hijinx to try to steal wins, and dresses up as the ghostbusters or the terminator. naito is a cool heel but kenny is like barelllly a heel at all

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Someone a while ago posted a shirt that had a pic of Suzuki on it and the words "A Tribe Called SUZUKI" and I have longed for it ever since. That and the Los Ingobernables trucker hat. I'd like both those things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

harperdc posted:

Super No Vacancy posted:

my rationale is LIJ does vicious things like neck chairshots or targeting elgin's eye whereas bullet club basically does hijinx to try to steal wins, and dresses up as the ghostbusters or the terminator. naito is a cool heel but kenny is like barelllly a heel at all

suzuki-gun's def at the most heelish end. I'd rate LIJ and BC the same. Both have some straightforward heel members (BC's Tongans and Yujiro , EVIL and SANADA for LIJ), with cool heel leaders who are happy to soak up the adulation of their unit's fans. LIJ can be more vicious true, but also is more likely to be cheered over faces. Kenny's very over and absolutely a star, but I've never seen him get definitively cheered over someone like a Tana, Okada, or KUSHIDA the way LIJ dudes have.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 6, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Someone a while ago posted a shirt that had a pic of Suzuki on it and the words "A Tribe Called SUZUKI" and I have longed for it ever since. That and the Los Ingobernables trucker hat. I'd like both those things.
I think they still sell Los Ingobernables trucker hats at ROH shows

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait.... EVIL is a bad guy!?! :aaa:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait forgot one

<-bullet club hunters--suzuki-gun--LIJ--bullet club--CHAOS--GBH--new japan main force->

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i wonder if the third gen guys are pissed at all that they've received collectively one IWGP Heavyweight Title shot in the Bushiroad era iirc (Kojima at Destruction 2013) while 48 year old MiSu is a stable leader and still booked as a main event caliber level badass rather than an old dude?

Super No Vacancy posted:

wait forgot one

<-bullet club hunters--suzuki-gun--LIJ--bullet club--CHAOS--GBH--new japan main force->

v true. btw I'd love to have been able to spy on the phone call/texts between Billy Gunn and Triple H regarding Tatsu's new gimmick.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Imagine for a moment being the guy who has to tell MiSu he's now going to be booked as an old guy, and you go a long way to understanding why he will continue to be booked the way he is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aren't GBH in Chaos?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Oh, and could harperdc or anyone else with knowledge of Japanese shed light on what the Boat Race thing that prominently sponsored WK and NYD is?

http://boatrace-3days2017.jp/

Obiously Tana/Okada/Makabe are involved but I can't figure out much beyond it.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aren't GBH in Chaos?

no chaos splintered off gbh when they all turned against makabe

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

Oh, and could harperdc or anyone else with knowledge of Japanese shed light on what the Boat Race thing that prominently sponsored WK and NYD is?

http://boatrace-3days2017.jp/

Obiously Tana/Okada/Makabe are involved but I can't figure out much beyond it.

Looks like a cross-promotion event with BOAT RACE in Japan, better known as Kyotei https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky&#333;tei

It's been around since after the war, and people on these tiny little outboard boats race around small courses for short heats. So what gives?

"It is one of Japan's four "Public Sports" (公営競技 kōei kyōgi?), which are sports events where parimutuel betting is legal." Emphasis mine. The others include horse racing and velodrome cycling. So same as Japan's horse racing obsession, it comes down to gambling.

[edit] forgot to mention, during the Suzuki-gun NOAH run in 2015 I saw one of the singles tournament nights at Shinjuku FACE (which is almost as tiny as the Reseda bingo hall) and got to see MiSu versus Colt Cabana and that was exactly as you'd expect.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

five public sports. keijo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They should take part in more wholesome activities that involve zero gambling, such as pachinko!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

Looks like a cross-promotion event with BOAT RACE in Japan, better known as Kyotei https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky&#333;tei

It's been around since after the war, and people on these tiny little outboard boats race around small courses for short heats. So what gives?

"It is one of Japan's four "Public Sports" (公営競技 kōei kyōgi?), which are sports events where parimutuel betting is legal." Emphasis mine. The others include horse racing and velodrome cycling. So same as Japan's horse racing obsession, it comes down to gambling.

huh i knew about keirin and obviously parimutuel betting on horse racing is commonplace in the west but I had no idea there was an aquatic equivalent

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

huh i knew about keirin and obviously parimutuel betting horse racing is commonplace in the west but I had no idea there was an aquatic equivalent

I'd forgotten they also do it with asphalt (!) speedway motorcycle racing, which seems like a real bad idea.

near where I used to live in the boonies there was a Boat Race facility and it was kinda cool because I love all forms of racing but it felt real kinda scuzzy at the same time. Still haven't been to bet on the ponies around Tokyo yet but that might be a fun day too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

They should take part in more wholesome activities that involve zero gambling, such as pachinko!

I think my favorite thing about Japan was how the video arcades all had this progression from the door to crane games to Arcade Ticket Games to Pachinko and Slot machines. They're literally training them all their lives to slowly move up the gambling ladder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dissension is teased https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-w9bRopjg

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

five public sports. keijo.

the wikipedia entry for this says zero about gambling but I'm just going to assume it's in there, because of course it would be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fantasticamania http://cmll.com/?p=81341

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fantasticamania

January 13 posted:

Maximo Sexy, Tanahashi, and Kushida vs. Hechicero, Okada and Will Ospreay
Atlantis and Máscara Don vs. Rush and Naito
Mistico, Volador Jr. and Kushida vs. Último Guerrero, Euforia and Bárbaro Cavernario
Dragón Lee and Titán vs. Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi
Blue Panther Jr. and David Finlay vs. Sanada and ”King of Darkness” Evil
Stuka Jr., Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Ephesto, Okumura and Gedo
Soberano Jr. and Henare vs. Raziel and Jado

January 14 posted:

Mistico, Tanahashi and Kushida vs. Euforia, Okada and Will Ospreay
Atlantis, Titán and Máscara Don vs. Rush, Naito and Hiromu Tanahashi
Volador Jr. and Máximo Sexy vs. Último Guerrero and Hechicero
Dragón Lee and Stuka Jr. vs. Bárbaro Cavernario and Okumura
Blue Panther Jr., Tiger Mask and Taguchi vs. Sanada, ”King of Darkness” Evil and Bushi
Soberano Jr. and David Finlay vs. Raziel and Gedo
Liger and Henare vs. Ephesto and Jado

January 15 posted:

Volador Jr., Tanahashi and David Finlay vs. Último Guerrero, Okada and Will Ospreay
Atlantis, Soberano Jr. and Máscara Don vs. Rush, Naito and ”King of Darkness” Evil
Mistico and Máximo Sexy vs. Euforia and Hechicero
Dragón Lee and Tiger Mask vs. Bárbaro Cavernario and Gedo
Titán, Kushida and Taguchi vs. Sanada, Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi
Stuka Jr. and Liger vs. Okumura and Jado
Blue Panther Jr. and Henare vs. Ephesto and Raziel

January 16 posted:

Dragón Lee, Tanahashi and Kushida vs. Bárbaro Cavernario, Okada and Will Ospreay
Atlantis and Titán vs. Rush and Hiromu Takahashi
Mistico, Volador Jr. and Máximo Sexy vs. Último Guerrero, Euforia and Hechicero
Blue Panther Jr. and Máscara Don vs. Naito and ”King of Darkness” Evil
Soberano Jr. and Taguchi vs. Sanada and Bushi
Stuka Jr. and David Finlay vs. Ephesto and Okumura
Liger, Tiger Mask and Henare vs. Raziel, Jado and Gedo

January 20 posted:

Dragón Lee (c) vs. Bárbaro Cavernario - CMLL World Light Heavyweight Championship Match
Titán vs. Hiromu Takahashi
Mistico, Volador Jr. and Juice Robinson vs. Último Guerrero, Euforia and Okada
Atlantis, Tanahashi, Kushida, Taguchi and David Finlay vs. Rush, Naito, Sanada, ”King of Darkness” Evil and Bushi
Máximo Sexy and Stuka Jr. vs. Hechicero and Okumura
Soberano Jr., Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Raziel, Jado and Gedo
Blue Panther Jr. and Henare vs. Ephesto and Will Ospreay

January 21 posted:

Máximo Sexy (c) vs. Hechicero - CMLL World Heavyweight Title Match
Atlantis vs. Rush
Mistico and Volador Jr. vs. Último Guerrero and Euforia
Dragón Lee, Titán, Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Naito, Sanada, ”King of Darkness” Evil, Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi
Soberano Jr., Kushida and Taguchi vs. Bárbaro Cavernario, Okada and Will Ospreay
Stuka Jr. vs. Okumura
Blue Panther Jr., Liger, Tiger Mask and Henare vs. Ephesto, Raziel, Jado and Gedo

January 22 posted:

Volador Jr. vs. Último Guerrero
Mistico vs. Euforia
Atlantis, Tanahashi, Kushida and David Finlay vs. Rush, Naito, Sanada and ”King of Darkness” Evil
Máximo Sexy, Juice Robinson and Taguchi vs. Ephesto, Okada and Will Ospreay
Dragón Lee and Titán vs. Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi
Stuka Jr., Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Hechicero, Okumura and Raziel
Blue Panther Jr., Soberano Jr. and Henare vs. Bárbaro Cavernario, Jado and Gedo

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 6, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
NJPW managed to trade Dragon loving Lee for Yoshitatsu.

Also Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Dragon Lee vs. Okada, Ospreay & Barbaro Cavernario and it will never make tape. :smith:

Solus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 6, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/817071136190111746

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/817323227886125056

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Read the replies

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought I read something about him signing a new deal? I'll give the man credit, he's very good at working me. I thought he was gone for sure when he was doing the poo poo with The New Day but assumed he was staying now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

And woah, no Dragon Lee vs. Hiromu for the IWGP jr title at Fantasticamania. Must mean it's being held off for New BEginning.

Solus posted:

NJPW managed to trade Dragon loving Lee for Yoshitatsu.

Also Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Dragon Lee vs. Okada, Ospreay & Barbaro Cavernario and it will never make tape. :smith:

It's not going to be on World but at least one of the non Korakuen shows usually makes Japanese TV. If it does the Real Hero guys will upload it since there's no legal way for us to watch it otherwise.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 6, 2017

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

good WK shibata is amazing but all I see is Mac from it's always sunny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

It's not going to be on World but at least one of the non Korakuen shows usually makes Japanese TV. If it does the Real Hero guys will upload it since there's no legal way for us to watch it otherwise.

The first show on the 13th from Osaka #2 will air on the 19th and be available on the RH Drive on the 20th. None in between the opener and the Korakuen triple shot will make tape. One nice bonus of the Samurai show is that the CMLL themes won't be edited out.

• Locked thread