Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

long as they push Juice Robinson I don't care which Billy Gunn they have lying around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

Who do I have to bribe to get Billy Gunn into GBH? I want the real Billy Gunn to team up with the japanese Billy Gunn.

Morishima retired.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJpheISgzey/

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i see okada has as much trouble getting off those little horses as i do

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

This is really missing a Rainmaker pose as he rounds the corner.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 8, 2017

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Someone please explain me the subtitle of this thread. Is NOAH not using NJPW guys anymore?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

Someone please explain me the subtitle of this thread. Is NOAH not using NJPW guys anymore?

NOAH sold their company to someone else right under Bushiroad's nose and that sort of cut all ties between them abruptly in the middle of angles getting planned teased. Lot of people expected more NOAH presence at the Tokyo Dome with Marufuji/Yano being the new tag champs, Shibata defending against Go Shiozaki and probably a GHC title defense if not another Multiman tag.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This is probably going to be a bad idea that is going to backfire on NJPW hard.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLlqXOvgvfd

Okadas instagram is a loving treasure. Gedos little hat :3:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i hope kidani murders the mcmahons in cold blood

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

KungFu Grip posted:

NOAH sold their company to someone else right under Bushiroad's nose and that sort of cut all ties between them abruptly in the middle of angles getting planned teased. Lot of people expected more NOAH presence at the Tokyo Dome with Marufuji/Yano being the new tag champs, Shibata defending against Go Shiozaki and probably a GHC title defense if not another Multiman tag.

Ah, thanks. i was catching up on last years bigger NOAH cards yesterday and ended on the Oct. 23 Great Voyage show thinking to myself "Cool. All this cross promotion stuff is really great for the business as a whole". :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Solus posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLlqXOvgvfd

Okadas instagram is a loving treasure. Gedos little hat :3:

Like all good fathers, Gedo wants to embarrass his perfect son in public :3:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
NOAH really sucks so you aren't missing anything

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I had my friend, a new pro wrestling fan (year and a half now), over for his third session of NJPW matches. We watched (in order)....

1. NJPW.2016.08.12.G1.Climax.26.Day.17 - Goto vs Marafuji
2. NJPW.2016.08.12.G1.Climax.26.Day.17 - Okda vs Tanahashi
3. NJPW.2016.08.13.G1.Climax.26.Day.18 - Kenny Omega vs Naito
4. NJPW.2016 G1 CLIMAX 26.Day.19.Finals - Kenny Omega vs Goto
5. NJPW.2016.10.10.King.Of.Pro.Wrestling - Kenny Omega vs Goto II
6. NJPW.2016.10.10.King.Of.Pro.Wrestling - Marafuji vs Okada
7 .NJPW.Wrestling.Kingdom 11 - Kenny Omega vs Okada

He said his favorite was... Omega vs Naito from G1! Hah, awesome. Okada just doesn't do much for him. He used to dislike Kenny, but not any more and he thought Naito can really light it up when he gets going with his speed. I think the selling from both Naito and Omega were just extra awesome for him. Where as, Okada has a tendency to just be stoic mo fo that grits his teeth but that's about it.Hell of a day's viewing though, whew. Loved it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hey UK people, where can I buy NJPW merch aside from njpweurope.com? I wanted to get a Kenny Omega t-shirt but predictably it's sold out and elsewhere I can only find crappy fake prints on eBay or a bunch on prowrestlingtees but I don't really want to order from the USA.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched that New Years Dash show. I liked it but two complaints (I'll spoiler it in case no one has seen it):

1) I really hated the finish to Elgin/Kushida v Naito/Takahashi because it annoys me when champions get pinned in non title matches. (It's probably also because I'm a huge Tetsuya Naito mark)

2) not sure why LIJ already lost the belts

Other than that it was fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fart blood posted:

I watched that New Years Dash show. I liked it but two complaints (I'll spoiler it in case no one has seen it):

1) I really hated the finish to Elgin/Kushida v Naito/Takahashi because it annoys me when champions get pinned in non title matches. (It's probably also because I'm a huge Tetsuya Naito mark)

2) not sure why LIJ already lost the belts

Other than that it was fun.

they have champions lose in tags/multimans all the time to set up future challengers, they did the same thing with goto. you should differentiate tag losses from singles losses

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Frankston posted:

Hey UK people, where can I buy NJPW merch aside from njpweurope.com? I wanted to get a Kenny Omega t-shirt but predictably it's sold out and elsewhere I can only find crappy fake prints on eBay or a bunch on prowrestlingtees but I don't really want to order from the USA.

Pro Wrestling Tees sells them, but they're not known for great customer service so buyer beware. eBay is an option, also http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Fan-Apparel-Souvenirs/24409/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kenny+omega

Edit: My reading compreheansion sucks. ROH used to sell them but they don't any more.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Has anyone ordered shirts from http://champion-shop.jp ? There are a couple of of Yuji Nagata shirts I want there but I'm not sure how reliable they are ordering from the US.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

Has anyone ordered shirts from http://champion-shop.jp ? There are a couple of of Yuji Nagata shirts I want there but I'm not sure how reliable they are ordering from the US.

Use these guys as an intermediary https://www.whiterabbitexpress.com/

I used them to buy a DDT shirt from Toudokan and it worked out well

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I haven't followed NJPW in a year. What does this mean/reference? Is NJPW touring the US?!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Use these guys as an intermediary https://www.whiterabbitexpress.com/

I used them to buy a DDT shirt from Toudokan and it worked out well

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

they have champions lose in tags/multimans all the time to set up future challengers, they did the same thing with goto. you should differentiate tag losses from singles losses

he also only lost after interference from a big name guest star making his return.

Phenix Rising posted:

I haven't followed NJPW in a year. What does this mean/reference? Is NJPW touring the US?!

Thanks! I'll check them out.

NJPW has a show termed a "G1 Special" in Long Beach in July. No one seems to know exactly what it is but unfortunately what it isn't is a real G1 tournament show. If you mean what they did a year ago he means the Jan 4 raid when Nakamura, Styles, Anderson, and Gallows all gave notice that they were leaving the company.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thauros posted:

NJPW has a show termed a "G1 Special" in Long Beach in July. No one seems to know exactly what it is but unfortunately what it isn't is a real G1 tournament show. If you mean what they did a year ago he means the Jan 4 raid when Nakamura, Styles, Anderson, and Gallows all gave notice that they were leaving the company.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the raid and why they feel annoyed - just wasn't sure what the response to that was. Thanks for the info!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Watched WK11 in its entirety. Agree that the last 3 matches were great to amazing but I wasn't feeling the Jr Heavyweight match at all. Felt it was sloppy and dangerous which took me out of most of the match. Am I missing something here?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do not even ask posted:

Watched WK11 in its entirety. Agree that the last 3 matches were great to amazing but I wasn't feeling the Jr Heavyweight match at all. Felt it was sloppy and dangerous which took me out of most of the match. Am I missing something here?

I liked it but I felt it was also missing something, and somehow it felt more reckless than the other 3 shows even though those all did some crazy things too.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

I still don't like it. I believe it's better practice if the champs always go over. If the champ is on a tag team, and loses because his partner is pinned, that's fine.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The champ losing to a guy is an easy way to logically set up a contender for that champ. Doing it in a tag match of some sort helps protect the champ but shows enough that the challenge can beat them, leading to intrigue for their upcoming title match.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rodney the Piper posted:

The champ losing to a guy is an easy way to logically set up a contender for that champ. Doing it in a tag match of some sort helps protect the champ but shows enough that the challenge can beat them, leading to intrigue for their upcoming title match.

Eh, I don't buy it. The champ is supposed to be the best in his division. If he gets pinned like anyone else, I begin to care less about seeing someone take the belt off him.

If a champ has to get pinned in a non title match, it should be very, very, very, very infrequently. I mean, "once every seven years" kind of infrequently. That way, it's shocking, and means more.

If a champ has to lose, do it in a tag match where his partner isn't a champion and let him eat the pin instead. It's an easy angle. The challenger pins the champ's partner, so that's a loss in the champ's record. The challenger can then boast that when they meet at the PPV or whatever, he's gonna pin him. Or whatever. I'm making naan and there's flour all over my hands so I'm typing like a retard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^

Champion's partner costing him a win is a great way to setup a feud between two friends/former allies. "The champ should never eat a pin in a tag match" ignores lots of context, including in this case. There's a lot of ways they can have the champion get pinned in a tag match and not look like a schlub. New Japan usually does it better than WWE (which is to say, making more sense and much less frequently).

Jerusalem posted:

Like all good fathers, Gedo wants to embarrass his perfect son in public :3:

it's the caption that sells it -- "With a Taiwanese fan" :haw:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
You might be the best in the division, but the best in the divison should probably be the one on the ground when up against Mike Elgin, KUSHIDA and Dragon Lee, especially after his partner got annihilated too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

sloppy and dangerous works for some matches, like basically all hiromu matches, or any charlotte vs sasha match

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no problem with a champ losing in a tag match because I think tag wrestling should be treated as its own skillset. It works for me to say the champ is the best SINGLES wrestler in the company but he may be lacking as a tag wrestler. That makes him vulnerable to someone who might work better as a tag wrestler or have a partner he's more familiar with to take advantage and get a pin that he couldn't get in singles competition. And that's without just saying it might have been the champ's partner's fault for not carrying his load or making a crucial mistake.

Like, one of the worst booking things to me is the way the WWE will constantly throw the champ into a random tag match or a handicap match against experienced teams and then the champ owns the accomplished team. IMO the team should have the clear advantage there and the champ should fall. Then he can go and reaffirm his dominance on his own playing field, singles competition.

I'd love to see a feud where a good tag team feuded with 1 or 2 singles champs and both sides struggled to get over the hump of excelling in the other's field.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

This was a neat experience. it's the 2016 G1 Climax mat

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

While I would have liked LIJ to be the unbeatable final boss of the trios division NJPW's vision for the belts is to highlight an act. They didn't lose to a completely random team. In this case they want to give Nakanishi one last run (he's been given a lot more focus lately with the actually great singles match with Nagata and getting to deliver the New Year's Dash show closing promo) and a consolation prize for Love&Energy Tanahashi. Taguchi is there to be the fall guy in a month.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

LIJ suck. Losers In Japan

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

whoa dude, keep it tranquilo my friend.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I like LIJ :smith:

And Tetsuya Naito is by far my favorite wrestler right now. That guy is awesome. I hope he gets a decent heavyweight title run in the future instead of that Edge-like stopgap reign he had last year.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it seems probable that theyre going to give him the IC belt and let him main event shows with that like nakamura and then save a naito/okada program for a dome

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My boy EVIL going the distance. Give him the belt

#YearofEVIL
#EverythingIsEVIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I believe you'll find this is the time for Yoshi-Hashi to continue being cool and good and so often overlooked by winning the NJ Cup so he can have a career making match with his big brother Okada (which he will lose).

• Locked thread