Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really want to go next year. What's the process for buying tickets for non-Japanese speakers/readers and the cost of tickets themselves like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phenix Rising posted:

I really want to go next year. What's the process for buying tickets for non-Japanese speakers/readers and the cost of tickets themselves like?

Reposting this from an older thread, anybody who went this year will hopefully say if anything needs to be updated:

Last year (Wrestle Kingdom 10) tickets became available in mid-October. I had to register an account with tickebo.jp and put in an application for the class of ticket I wanted, there was no ability to actually pick your individual seat - I chose A Class which was the highest available, it was still surprisingly cheap.

On the 22nd of December I received notice my ticket was now available, they seemed to take it on a first come, first served basis so once I confirmed that I wanted my ticket allocated they provided me with whatever was the best available row and seat number at that time. They sent me a QR Code that I loaded onto my phone. On the day of, I had to wait in line (all the way around the building!) but once I got to the door I just needed to show the QR code, they scanned it and let me in and from there signs pointed me in the right direction and an usher showed me to my seat.

It's a trifle annoying having no ability to specifically choose your seat (I think that is available to those guys who get given the option to buy the front rows) but considering the relatively cheap price of tickets for Japan's Wrestlemania it was worth it (my seat was really good!).

For what it's worth I met up with Sanguinia and harperdc on the day of the event and harperdc was able to just go to the ticket counter and buy an upper bowl ticket (WK 11 seemed to be a lot better sales wise though)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
How much is front row I wonder. It'd be worth it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i thought the new beginning shows having back to back triple threat rematches was a typo, but nope. they gonna hot potato those belts on each show i bet

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think a couple friends from the U.K. want to do WK12/NYD proper so my streak of "show up to Tokyo Dome/Korakuen and wing it" will likely end.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Not having watched wrestling in a while, the biggest surprise for me was seeing Thunder Liger still alive and wrestling. I remember him being pretty old and slow ten years ago, yikes..

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What was up with the young boy Billy Gunn kept squaring up to?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone quickly run down why these non-Suzuki guys in Suzukigun suck? Are we talking sloppy, bad at psychology, competent but can't connect with the crowd, bad characters, bad looks? I wanna know what to be ready for

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
KES are a pretty solid hoss tag team, though it seems some people like them a lot more than I do. I think GBH is way better, for example, not to mention any team with Ishii.

Desperado isn't bad. Taichi is average-ish.

Iizuka is basically Manabu Nakanishi only worse.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think KES is arguably the best team in the division. Desperado and TAKA are ok for junior depth and can be fun in the right situation.. Iizuka's terrible and Taichi's arguably worse because they'd be more likely to focus on him. Iizuka'a 50 year old bad brawler. Taichi's in his mid 30s and is just a lovely worker who I've never seen have an impressive singles match in years. Imagine basically the jr equivalent of Yujiro in that the only appeal is his valet(s). I am a fan of both their themes tho.

Kanemaru's the mystery. His NOAH work was absolutely terrible but he obviously did not want to be there and he's shown flashes of still being a competent worker. Hopefully he shows more now that he's out of there.

I'm higher on this than most people who have watched NOAH over the last two years because I really don't think they'll be booked the same way in NJPW and we'll be seeing less of Taichi and Iizuka in prominent roles.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 11, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i set aside a budget of $2500usd for tokyo dome next year will that be enough and should we devote a travel thread after g1 for the dome if enough goons are goin again

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

its me glenda posted:

i set aside a budget of $2500usd for tokyo dome next year will that be enough and should we devote a travel thread after g1 for the dome if enough goons are goin again

i wish that would be enough in my case cause I'd go. usually when i've looked that's what plane tickets alone cost for me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Do what i do buy a roundtrip from seattle to Tokyo for about 700 then fly out of newark to seattle for 120. Roundtrip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

its me glenda posted:

If that includes everything (plane tickets, hotel, rail pass, WK ticket, spending money) it might be a little tight depending on how long you plan on staying. I ended up spending roughly 3k all up on my trip (11 days) but I made a point of staying at a relatively nice hotel and I went and visited a lot of places during my stay and even then I did still have some of my spending cash left over when I got back.

I cannot stress enough the importance of buying a rail pass, it's a Godsend.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If i go its gonna be 5 days max. Im def gonna hit new years dash but i dont know what goes on that weekend beyond the two nnpw shows. Next year is on a thursday and friday at least. Whats a rail pass cost like?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

its me glenda posted:

If i go its gonna be 5 days max. Im def gonna hit new years dash but i dont know what goes on that weekend beyond the two nnpw shows. Whats a rail pass cost like?

$2500 will probably be fine for 5 days then. A basic rail pass is $244 for 7 days and lets you ride any JapanRail train you want anywhere in the country - it might be more cost effective for you to just pay your way with a Suica card if you're only going to be there 5 days - I rode the trains a lot while I was there including taking the bullet train to Kyoto so the JR Pass worked out best for me. I think Germ Incubator mentioned using the Suica card for getting around so she will probably have better advice on how they work/where to get them/how to top them up with money etc.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

MrJacobCohen on twitter went to like every wrestling show in the country over I think 16 days and it ran him like ~3500 so really a week is more reasonable than I expected presuming you can find a good flight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tell me about this suica card. And is the tokyo dome hotel affordable

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I honestly wouldn't be hat worried about expenses once I'm over there as I don't mind cheap lodging. gently caress, I'd want to stay in a capsule motel one night just for the experience. Have to look more into airfare options

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I was thinking about going to wk11 but couldn't get the funds sorted. If I had known how good the show was gonna be I would have like robbed my parents or something. I really wanna go next year for a week or more to see some of the stuff in Tokyo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It might also be more affordable to Airbnb something, plus I've seen listings where people offer guide services to help you around the city. Thanks for all the info so far!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I am 6'3" and I've stayed at a Capsule in Osaka five times already, they're surprisingly not too terrible and the price is unbeatable (my regular is about 2300 to 3000¥ a night through booking.com). Suica is basically an all in one card that does railpass but also can be used at Conbinis and Arcades and stuff. Living in the boonies of the boonies I have no use for one but it's a must have in the city. I walked up and bought my tickets on the day of for 8000 a piece, I was in the lower area of the stadium behind the home dugout. I got to see most people leaving and wasn't too far from Cody when he climbed on the dugout. I could see the action in the ring well enough even from that distance and I'm used to sitting near the front at NXT. I actually saw Germ Incubator walking around near the hotel but wasn't sure it was her and didn't say hi, oops.

Having now been to both a dome show and a sumo hall show, the atmosphere for both is equally amazing and if the winter travel is impossible for you I would suggest coming on a summer holiday for the G1. If you are alone and don't mind staying in a capsule hotel a week of boarding might cost 200 USD. Trains in the city mostly cost under 200¥ if you are sticking to Yamanote line type stuff. Food doesn't have to be expensive, a nice filling bowl of Tempura Udon is like 3.50 usd at the train station places, sushi is like 125¥ a piece average at kaiden places, even *the best Japanese food* Okonomiyaki is under 1000¥ usually although the Tokyo stuff will not be as delicious as good ol Kansai Okonomiyaki.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JR Rail Pass - the price for a one-week Rail Pass is equal to going to go Tokyo-Kyoto or Osaka on the bullet train round trip. If you plan on that, then the pass gives you access to most parts of Tokyo basically for free. If not, put cash on a Suica and use it instead as that is train-line agnostic.

Tokyo has lots of expensive hotels, and also places that are not too expensive at all. Booking Hilton or anything like that is going to be expensive. Capsule hotels are a neat gimmick but it'll be tough if you have a large suitcase.

Last pro-tip for the moment: 7-11 and Japan Post ATMs are the best places to pull money from foreign bank cards, namely Visa and MC.

[Ed] yeah I'm gonna have to put together some kind of "Tokyo/Japan travel for wrestling geeks" post huh.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Who's everyones favourite New Japan Dad? I really like Satoshi Kojima and have a soft spot for Manabu Nakanishi

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nagata

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

harperdc posted:

[Ed] yeah I'm gonna have to put together some kind of "Tokyo/Japan travel for wrestling geeks" post huh.

Yeeeesssss please!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

It really would be a big help, it can be daunting planning a trip but once you've got it all sorted everything is smooth sailing.

I think Meltzer has said that he is determined to go next year so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing some kind of Wrestling Observer/Figure Four meet-up as well.

Solus posted:

Who's everyones favourite New Japan Dad? I really like Satoshi Kojima and have a soft spot for Manabu Nakanishi

Gedo :3:

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Solus posted:

Nagata. Give him another world title run!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm happy for Juice Robinson. He's not lighting the world on fire but you can tell he's using NJPW as a learning experience. Good for him.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

tomohiro ishii will be wearing suzuki-gun tights by the new japan cup, bet your house on it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

handsome only face posted:

tomohiro ishii will be wearing suzuki-gun tights by the new japan cup, bet your house on it.

noooooooo. What we need is Goto to constantly shift stables

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Solus posted:

noooooooo. What we need is Goto to constantly shift stables

the only belt he'll defend will be made of horse shoes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Solus posted:

yuji nagata

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Solus posted:

Nagata 100%. Still trying real hard to get my hands on an Anti-Aging Hero t-shirt so I can support him like a good son.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hmm I wonder if I wanna do g1 instead. I get more shows and can go to an Osaka show as well but then I'm probably there for more than a week depending on the g1 schedule

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bonus is you'll be there during summer and you can go to Arashiyama :swoon:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
It feels like it would be an absolute mission, but worth it to try and go to every G1 Show

---

Here's your New Years Dash Ratings boys

Ricochet/O'Reilly/Finlay vs Liger/Tiger Mask/Henare 2.75
Yujiro/Page vs Gunn/Yoshitatsu 0.5
Yoshi-Hashi/RPG Vice vs Cole/Bucks 3.25
Saito/Kojima/Tenzan/Norton/Cheese Burger vs Omega/GoD/Fale/Boner 1.25
Elign/KUSHIDA vs Naito/Hiromu 3.5
GBH/Shibata/Nagata/Juice vs Goto/Ospreay/Okada/Ishii/Yano 4.0
Tanahashi/Nakanishi/Taguchi vs EVIL/SANADA/BUSHI 3.25

Half Star Yoshi Strikes Again

Solus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 12, 2017

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Solus posted:

Suzuki, but that's because my dad would kick me in the face every time I held a door open for him.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I might be headed to Japan before too long, are there any big show coming up in the next few months? I know Dominion is usually a big deal and the G1 obviously, but I was hoping for something before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I might be headed to Japan before too long, are there any big show coming up in the next few months? I know Dominion is usually a big deal and the G1 obviously, but I was hoping for something before that.

NJ Cup final in March, April has whatever they changed Invasion Attack's name to (Genki Sakura or something?), Wrestling Dontaku is always May 3rd

• Locked thread