Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm late on cipher discussions, but https://cipherli.st is a nice resource that I've used before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Random question:

Is there a way for me to NOT have a self-signed certificate on an production embedded device that may not be connected to the internet?

uhh... sign it yourself? all my dumb embedded poo poo, routers, switches, whatever are signed by a little CA I made that my devices all have installed.

or do you mean you need to have it signed by a valid globally-known CA?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Random question:

Is there a way for me to NOT have a self-signed certificate on an production embedded device that may not be connected to the internet?

afaik, no. since you'd have to provide a host name and i'm assuming you won't know that in advance.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

reminder that you can download a variety of preconfigured HyperV machines with various versions of windows' directly from microsoft for free at modern.ie,

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Random question:

if you control all the devices that will connect to that embedded device:
* you can have a company root and add that root to everything's trusted CAs and then have the production embedded device ship with key/cert that chain to that root

if you don't control every device that will connect to that production embedded device and it's being set up by people with competent it departments with private CA infrastructure your best bet is to either:

* provide a mechanism to set the box's CN, generate a key that stays on the device, generate a csr for the it department to download and sign with their internal root, and a way for them to upload a corresponding cert once issued
* provide a way to upload both a valid key and cert

if you don't control every device that will connect to that production embedded device and it's being NOT set up by people with competent it departments:
* lomarf why even care

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ratbert90 posted:

Random question:

on our appliance, we use a built-in hardcoded wildcard certificate. of course it's not secure, it's not hard at all to dump the private key shared by all appliances, but it's just for bootstrapping, the admin interface (with a hardcoded default password that must be changed at the first login btw :eng101:) has a function to generate a unique private key and a csr, and load a new certificate. you need something like that

our appliance requires adding a line to the hosts file with the initial hostname and ip of the device, but you could skip that step by using a hardcoded hostname like device.domain.tld that resolves to the hardcoded initial ip

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

afaik, no. since you'd have to provide a host name and i'm assuming you won't know that in advance.

depends on what the cert is being used for, if it's just to identify the device as valid it's common name could be a serial number or something instead of a domain name

e: this assumes you're not using it for HTTPS if that's not clear

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hackbunny posted:

I wonder if 1password could use a custom keyboard instead of the clipboard, as an interface between password database and applications

apps can also opt in to password manager integration, which 1password supports

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

reminder that you can download a variety of preconfigured HyperV machines with various versions of windows' directly from microsoft for free at modern.ie,

and they only have to be re-armed every 90 days! pretty convenient!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

run a crack on them

or just save state and refresh every now and again

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38521973

Folks scanned for non-password protected mongoDB databases exposed to the open internet and if there was any useful data in them, encrypted them with ransomware. Nice.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Last Chance posted:

i remember i tried this with a key i got through some MS win 7 upgrade promotion and it would only let me download a french or korean windows 7 iso lol

ala this poor gently caress

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d0-62ca58d027cb

the windows 10 download page can be coerced into showing download options for windows 7 and 8 as well with a little js :ssh:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

OSI bean dip posted:

r/netsec proves to be the best place to see painful discussions on password managers

https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/5mahfl/1password_is_still_using_full_dropbox_access_to/

yes. jailbreak your device to fix a problem with 1password's innocuous copy and paste method

doesn't apple already have some kind of secure clipboard feature for safely holding sensitive data anyways? i could swear I saw something like that in a wwdc video once

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

the windows 10 download page can be coerced into showing download options for windows 7 and 8 as well with a little js :ssh:

windows 8 you say?

i'm intrigued

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BobHoward posted:

doesn't apple already have some kind of secure clipboard feature for safely holding sensitive data anyways? i could swear I saw something like that in a wwdc video once

yes. apps cant get data out of the clipboard unless they are the app that put it there (or the user long presses and brings up the copy/paste menu and presses paste)

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

depends on what the cert is being used for, if it's just to identify the device as valid it's common name could be a serial number or something instead of a domain name

e: this assumes you're not using it for HTTPS if that's not clear

yeah, i was assuming https was the purpose of that...

Unrelated question for OSX users. When using our internal CA to sign a cert, and having added our Intermediary Chain to the pem serving up the cert/chain, when I visit the site in Chrome on OSX I am unable to add an exception to the invalid cert and continue on to the site (like I can on Windows and in Firefox). The reason for this appears to be that Chrom(ium) uses the system to decode the certificate and the chain is throwing the error "This certificate cannot be used (unrecognized critical extension)" -- When I expand the certificate in Chrome I only see two critical extensions, Basic Constraints and Name Constraints.

Is there a way in OSX to see what extension it's complaining about?

e: I'm reading OSX just doesn't support name constraints, so nevermind. GG Apple.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hey another document https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

yes. apps cant get data out of the clipboard unless they are the app that put it there (or the user long presses and brings up the copy/paste menu and presses paste)

doesn't facebook encourage you to post URLs from your clipboard on your timeline, or was that shut down du to being incredibly creepy?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

doesn't facebook encourage you to post URLs from your clipboard on your timeline, or was that shut down du to being incredibly creepy?

yeah they cant do this anymore, who knows if it was the reason why the clipboard was locked down but maybe

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
wikileaks has announced a plan to basically dox verified twitter users en masse

https://twitter.com/WLTaskForce/status/817431533183238144

so far their method for doing this seems to consist of not being able to spell people's names correctly

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/817465179881480193

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
does the fact that wikileaks will be frequently doxxing the wrong people make us feel more or less comfortable about the project

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Flying Leatherman posted:

Maybe I'm late on cipher discussions, but https://cipherli.st is a nice resource that I've used before

that config is going to have some compatibility issues. it's not "bad" in any way, but test it for your particular use case and don't roll it out blindly or you're going to piss off people with legacy but still supported clients. also, AES256 has questionable security merits over AES128 but definable overhead. Probably won't mean much if you're not passing a lot of traffic, but AES128 is still more than secure and might be preferable for high-volume applications. Hopefully AES offload in hardware has made that largely moot but the differential is still there.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

qntm posted:

does the fact that wikileaks will be frequently doxxing the wrong people make us feel more or less comfortable about the project

to be fair, wikileaks has a pretty good track record for releasing information with only the highest possible regard for the personal safety of innocent civilians

[said with the least straight face possible]

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey sec boys how would SWIM go about haxx0ring all the un1337 n00bzz?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SpaceClown posted:

don't sign your posts

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

very carefully :xd:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Flying Leatherman posted:

on a government project we weren't even allowed to use tls 1.0

1.1 and 1.2 only.

i was ok with it, of course.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol, no 1.0 but 1.1. specs written by idiots.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

this number is not high enough! I require the slightly higher number! pay me six figures!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

please turn on ssl 2 and 3 as they are much larger than these puny 1.x protocols

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess they're worried about CBC attacks?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if you're worried about cbc attacks then you go 1.2-only. 1.1 is pre-gcm. and if you're worried about cbc then you give a cipher list, 1.2 supports plenty of bad ciphers as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Random question:

Get a 50 year certificate:v:

But no, I don't think you can. What you can do is allow the customer to add their own certificate, and they can either suck or get one from their own internal CA

E: welp i can't scroll

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meat Beat Agent posted:

so far their method for doing this seems to consist of not being able to spell people's names correctly

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/817465179881480193

ahahahahahhaha

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

run a crack on them

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

unacceptable

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

wanna talk about how to not broadcast traceable signals if you know about it?

I might drunk effort post it later but it depends the scale and skill of your attacker. If you're trying to hide from the spooky level country/worldwide stuff I don't have a good tip except "don't".

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

i used this to downloaded and archive 32 and 64 bit win 7 isos as a 'just in case'

windows 10, too. gently caress windows 8.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

apseudonym posted:

I might drunk effort post it later but it depends the scale and skill of your attacker. If you're trying to hide from the spooky level country/worldwide stuff I don't have a good tip except "don't".

"mossad gonna mossad"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/817597393449271296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why is it a laptop version :psyduck:

• Locked thread