Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i don't know poo poo when it comes to law, is any of this meaningful in the sense that it's likely to end with more than dlink going "lol" and maybe paying a :10bux: fine? or set any precedent for further cracking down on security bullshit in the long term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
to be honest, after the whole thing with the note 7 i'm not sure i like hearing about vague "battery issues" relating to medical devices any more than i like hearing about them being an open kill switch for your heart

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

medical devices are some of the most deeply, troublingly flawed pieces of computer you will ever encounter. companies go to extreme lengths to define the domain the device covers just so to avoid fda regulation (which, lol if that still even exists in 2 years) and will always do the bare minimum required by the loosest interpretation of the regs then fight it out in court. they don't give a poo poo at all about the patient's safety at all because they have the patient over a barrel (you need the device or you die).

the worst timeline. at least in deus ex it's part of a massive conspiracy

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
set it to something like "february 31" and no one will ever be able to guess it. it's genius

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Another way is sometimes at large airports you can get your luggage TSA wrapped which makes it less likely to be tampered with because.

what, like they stick a bunch of runes and prayers that ward off tsa agents on your luggage or something?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

are we talking about the same smart meters they're already installing, because afaik nobody's allowed to opt out of poo poo here and there were a bunch of right-wingers protesting the durned gubmint spying meters being forced on them

oh! over here it's the crazy new age "green" hippies complaining about the evils of electromagnetic waves and most likely also that most monstrously conceived plot that is water fluoridation

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Security Fuckup Megathread - v13.2 - I've experimented with assembler when I was a teenager

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what does your heart tell you

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
actually doing the full backup restore procedure for real just to test if it works? that's crazy! waste of time! it's just copying files from point a to point b! nothing can go wrong! do it all the time! dead simple!

i mean we even keep the backups in a network share on a raid array just to make sure it's as simple as possible

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you gotta send all commands by fax

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think the idea is that they know it's bullshit, but by forcing pirates to download a crack in addition to the game itself they increase the chance of those filthy thieves getting a bad case of the cryptolocker which is exactly what they deserve the fuckers. this is basically the only way any of it makes sense

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh great now we're gonna have to do mandatory reboots every 1 hour to 'fix' the problem

power companies should start making inroads in infosec by triggering random power outages and charging customers for it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
algorithms? why didn't i think of that!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

power companies should start making inroads in infosec by triggering random power outages and charging customers for it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't know, i personally wouldn't mind having a dedicated scapegoat for everything that goes wrong for the foreseeable future on some projects

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

taviso posted:

It looked like that if an html page hosted behind cloudflare had a specific combination of unbalanced tags, the proxy would intersperse pages of uninitialized memory into the output

loving lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

maslow's hierarchy of cyber

i think the top of that pyramid is av

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

how could i not with a hook like that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i imagine this is what watching a snuff film is like

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
surprise it's actually sandpaper because everything security is horrible

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what happens when they run out of letters

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not even gigabit? the gently caress is that piece of poo poo

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i think you might have found an application for forum user tumor looking batty there

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Wild EEPROM posted:

gonna make my own av program.

just gonna be something that makes a windows process that wastes a few resources doing nothing, puts something into the tray, pops up notifications twice a day saying you aren't protected or you should upgrade to the gold platinum plus package, and then when you do a manual scan, it just moves a status bar to 100% slowly.

probably less bad than the major av's

yeah uh i think the average popup ad has you beaten by a decade and a half by now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
seems in line with standard industry practices idk what the big deal is

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
imo "full boris" should be a standard name for that kind of intrusion response plan

"just finished a call with the it chief. we're going full boris"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
paid services to tell you more about their services? drat, that's how you know they're good. i'd keep 'em on retainer just in case

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
for a very liberal definition of "lives" i would assume

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jabor posted:

You can run credit card transactions with as little as a name and a number. Asking for more information is just about mitigating fraud risk. If you follow best practices and ask for everything, your payment provider eats the cost of fraud rather than passing it on to you.

Amazon is confident in their own ability to detect fraudulent purchases in other ways. They're good enough at it that the rate of fraud is low enough that the decreased transaction friction outweighs the cost of fraud. Anyone could do the same if they had the same confidence and ability to eat the losses when an occasional fraudulent transaction gets through.

can you rephrase that in terms of equations or point me to some paper or something else that does

no seriously i'm not being sarcastic, i'm actually curious about the sort of models people use to compute these things

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
bottles of wine are kind of stretching the definition of hardware, but eh, if it works...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

I would like to see what someone like tavis would do to an EHR. they'd probably try to sue him into the dirt.

loving christ he'd probably end up accidentally killing thousands just by touching a dev server. somehow

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't think anyone here would argue that sshing to a pacemaker and disabling whatever cron job calls heartbeat.py isn't murder regardless of circumstances

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
check /var/log?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You should put this as your signature when you reply:

holy poo poo yes please do this

maybe you'll be able to negotiate a discount and embezzle the money

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
alternatively they just don't think customer data is important

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i wouldn't want to be whoever has to explain to kim jong un that they're now stuck with a pile of "money" they can't do anything with

otoh i could see kim jong un being really into bitcoin so maybe it's all good

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ain't nothing more juche than "be your own bank"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Munkeymon posted:

and the Army Corps of Engineers (dam permit I guess?)

wait, so is this the answer to a permit request, or the actual request? if it's the latter then approve that dam and see how far it gets. keep us updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cheese-cube posted:

• vessel operators rarely ever have an "IT" guy deployed on-board. usually they'll have a chief electrician with one or more underlings who are only versed in general Layer 1 Ethernet plus maybe single/multi-mode fibre plus more than likely only coax

yeah that sounds like dad alright

i'm guessing a lot of this is probably also due to a lot of people in the industry (especially the senior guys) having been there since before all that computer stuff was commonplace

• Locked thread