Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

well thats kinda the same as before, but explicit, no?

How so? Legal residents and visitors to the US enjoy the full protection of law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

Well, yeah, but now it's also legal. Until now there was that safe harbour replacement thing: http://fortune.com/2016/02/02/looks-like-data-will-keep-flowing-from-the-eu-to-the-u-s-after-all/

So how is this the same as it's been then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

difference is, now it's legal for nsa to read my mail
it's the same since i'm pretty sure they'd do it if they wanted to do it

this isn't about the NSA. this is about agencies being able to publish that personal data, send to other agencies, share with private contractors. the privacy policy on a government service serves the same function as on a private service.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

twitter originally was conceived as an sms-based service hence its limit on characters

it's also why a tweet of "m afreak you stink real bad" generates a DM

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

tcpdump/wireshart are just big piles of vulnerable, since their goal is to be able to decrypt all the protocols

a rust port of tcpdump would be a life's work, but so much nicer

tcpdump is of course usually run as root

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my body is ready

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I doubt goog has the balls to revoke Symantec CAs from chome. they'd be shutting off part of the internet for their users and they care more about those ad dollars than security.

they would revoke after a certain date, not retroactively

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

This doesn't look retarded enough to be real

don't say retarded

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hackbunny best bunny

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I never considered character encodings as a way to protect against rainbow tables, but in hindsight it's obvious. who has ebcdic tables?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

immutability would do it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

like I'm guessing its all dom and css modifications to format it for their printers. they could probably do it with a browser extension tho. that would be better.

no, that would be worse. their lovely code shouldn't be resident unless I'm interacting with their system

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

it wouldn't have to be always on and would just format a page for a printer. I mean I know failfox and chome are really bad at javascript but it wouldn't have any effect until you clicked the extension to format for their printer.

it shouldn't be resident, and it shouldn't be dependent on them correctly writing the extension. it needs access to any page to work as an extension, and a printer tool shouldn't have that in my browser on an ongoing basis

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what are the regulatory constraints? windows update has the ability to execute commands given server instruction, as do all browsers with a decent update model

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

in this case our only specific constraint is that all data must be stored in canada. our clients have requested that any data stored offsite be encrypted, and they have ongoing concerns re remote data storage. basically everyone uses rdi for offsite work and all onsite systems use bitlocker. updates are managed by wsus locally, enforced by gpo and all automatic updates on 3rd party software are disabled, updating 3rd party applications is handled by sccm or ninite*.

this sounds p good, imo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my company's web site was hacked. I don't know the details, but I doubt that someone burned a zero-day on it. I also somewhat doubt that we have clean backups.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

24 hours to restore, including "malware scan"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

was memorizing the pattern cheating? is memorizing a lot of words cheating at scrabble?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I suspect the TAO exfil includes a buttpile of VMs and system images for verifying the tools. the TAO guy I talked to said they cared about "hundreds or thousands" of target configs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also re: eripsa:

don't roll your own cryptolibertarian

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

tsa let me thru the other day w/out me taking off belt or other stuff which was nice.

when you grow up you'll get Global Entry and Precheck and have that experience every time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"citizen" doesn't mean anything at the border these days

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"hail Satan" probably gets you a pass

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"sorry, I only have Fetlife. here, I'll find it for you"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Knight posted:

yes, if you are from the wrong country. I'm white as hell, but born in iran.

the last 3 times I flew to the us from canada I got ever more increasingly hosed up questions about this fact, including being asked "when was the last time I was there?" and "did I have any plans on going back?" granted that list time was 2009 ish

last summer riding my motorbike down? no stupid questions. thanks obama

does your passport have your place of birth on it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why the gently caress does Arby's have data to breach?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

all us passports do

unless you were born in international waters or on an international flight in which case it will say AT SEA or IN THE AIR

ah, in Canada people from certain countries can opt to have it omitted. some Iranian friends of mine have theirs omitted on the advice of the passport office, to ease entry into the US and other countries

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

u have no idea.

there have been hints

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Knight posted:

:canada: here, never saw the option :iiam:

It's a different application form. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/omit-place-birth.asp

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it may surprise you to discover that it's well-covered ground at many of the companies who make these services

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

James Baud posted:

Yes, but let's say you didn't do that and are being compelled to fingerprint unlock... Darn, it asked for the PIN anyway even though I complied.

is that going to be interpreted as destruction of evidence?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that's actually quite reassuring

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im coming to your help, stuck post of subjunctive

thanks pal!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

some bored college student hijacked his own campus' IoT devices and used them for a DDOS against said uni's DNS servers

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-iot-hackers-turned-a-universitys-network-against-itself/

Default credentials, as always

at least the systems were discreet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, code signing based on chaining to roots defends against AV software installing roots. riotous applause.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I'm talking about whitelists for signers and specific files, not chaining back to roots which would be pointless for code signing.

is that not how code signing works on Windows?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so every site is going to have one+ unique code signing cert? hang on, get the chrome team on the phone, i'm sure they'll start on this first thing tomorrow :laffo:

every site has a unique TLS cert, today

signed scripts used to exist in Netscape and IE; I presume Shaggar is familiar with the drawbacks of those approaches

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nah but shaggz is talking about ones that don't chain to an authority. so the browser would then need zillions of certs for it to be useful, right?

no amount of certs could make that useful

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sapozhnik posted:

https://github.com/glmcdona/Process-Dump

anybody know of anything like that that works in-process instead of relying on debug apis

i wrote a rudimentary in-process version of this thing a while back but i was wondering if there's an existing solution

breakpad can dump from within the process I believe. depends on how much you trust your environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

also lol @ using a browser that has its own internal trust list instead of the system trust list.

IE doesn't have a way for users to add roots to their keychains?

• Locked thread