Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
are people assuming that's a password or did someone actually verify that. because people butt-dial on twitter all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a non-it person has had the built-in domain\administrator account credentials and used it to have that user logged on to a couple of workstations to pilot some new software that we're migrating to and i just found out about it. apparently my boss didn't think it was that big a deal, but we've had people from this company remote into these machines and do ~whatever~ and who knows what they've actually done. gonna bring this lil incident up to my boss's boss because this is insanely stupid

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this seems way more likely
https://twitter.com/InspectorFletch/status/824642305487302656

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Why, exactly, do you think that the max tweet length is the same size as an SMS message?
SMS is 160, tweets are 140. 15 characters for username, plus certain special "control" characters at the beginning of messages like for dms, etc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ErIog posted:

This is implementation dependent SMS* supports 140 bytes. 160 chars is possible, but you have to encode as 7-bit chars to do so.
how many bits are ascii characters encoded with

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hed posted:

I'm just gonna have her use this Office 365 encrypted portal thing. It would be cool to, in steps, roll out PKI for encryption and then later work on sender verification and yadda yadda but I'll save all that for another day.

I had to look this one up.
i had the hardest time trying to get our customers to use the office 365 secure mail portal, because the link to the encrypted portal is inside of an attachment, and people are way too stupid to open that attachment. so we went with mimecast. mimecast is pretty good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

the GSM 7 bit character set for SMS is not the same as the ASCII 7 bit character set

the basic 26 english letters stay in the same places, as does some punctuation, but others move and most of the control codes get fully replaced by symbols of some sort or are shifted about

there's also the need to use various combinations with the escape code to represent more needed characters for certain languages or punctuation
okay, it's seven bits. that's what i thought. thanks, fishmech.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
eight contiguous blocks: 7022-7940, 7973-7975, 7983-7986, 7992-7993, 8574-8575, 5202-5205, 5341-5342, 5482-5486

what the hell

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

same reason people disable uac cuz it doesn't work otherwise!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

uh thats the -r

-f is force
yes, you need rm -f to get rid of the directories otherwise it will complain about there being directories. -r deletes files in subdirectories but will still complain about, like, /usr being a directory

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0hPGerSd4

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

I dont understand how that thread is so good at bringing out weird views on security.
easy: sh/sc is full of self-important computer janitors

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munkeymon posted:

is the chrome remoting extension bad in the same ways as TeamViewer?
idk but its what i use

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

i had to help my sister with a thing a week ago & used teamviewer :ohdear:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

did i gently caress up bigtime?
if it's not a persistent install then you're probably ok

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phone posted:

what's the thread favorite for a password manager these days?
1password's good, but more importantly what operating systems do you need your password manager to run on

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah this

when i was searching for a job year before last i had to register for more than one bespoke HR portal for whatever lovely company i was applying for, who comes up with this poo poo? thankfully i never got any callbacks on those places
i've got like a dozen ___.taleo.net passwords saved, gently caress looking for a job

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

The printernet of poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
since when did a receipt printer need to be pci compliant

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so when you see an obfuscated credit card number on a receipt, you think it's the printer's job to translate numbers to asterisks?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Storysmith posted:

if a receipt printer has a way to talk to it over the public internet do you really believe the pos terminal itself does not
it's very likely, because these are just dumb printers with like port 9100 or whatever open. opening up that port to the world is probably the easiest way for the pos system to be able to talk to it, because whoever installed it was also a pos

minivanmegafun posted:

i was talking about the POS installation as a whole, not just the printer itself

I mean sure a single receipt printer living somewhere not near a register has no requirements
you should check out the twitter that was linked a few posts up then because it's actually a guy who's owned pos printers, specifically, and not pos installations as a whole as you seem to believe

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

denuvo does actually work if integrated properly, by virtue of being a cryptographic virtual machine running essential parts of the game engine. just cause 3 still hasn't been cracked and that's a year old at this point
well the biggest difference is that people want to play a new resident evil game

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
van eck phreaking is cool, gangstalking less so

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a heartwarming tale of man's triumph over capitalism if ever there was one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i just found out there's a ps3/ps4/psp trend micro app that applies a filter to the console's web browser. there are two different filters and each comes with a $20 recurring monthly subscription. stay safe out there, https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/psp-ps3-ps4-security/home.aspx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

What did I just read?
haha you read it. lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

a seemingly ill person who thinks that they can remake the world with bitcoin and poo poo crypto

he should come here to explain why his crypto will work and give us a real technical explanation of things
you will never get this because it does not exist

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm the emoji keyboard tab

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/829730269439602689

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

dipshit greys do not last long in here hth
you haven't seen the bitcoin threads, those people do not shut up and they do not go away

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

thehustler posted:

a while back, either in here or in yospos, someone posted about a raspberry pi treasure box that you had to hack to open and it had a lock and servo type thing.

did I make that up? anyone know where I can find it or anything similar?
it was a yosmas present https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803421

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DuckConference posted:

what is the sec thread approved method for crossing a border now? Make dummy social media accounts, claim not to have them, change the password before and after crossing?
probably don't take your phone/laptop with you if you can help it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure any kind of heil will do these days...

on a secfuc note, how long should i expect to spend convincing CBP that i do not, in fact, have a social media account?
they want you to unlock your phone so they can find out for themselves

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

ok a bit more investigating and talking with them and the signing key is actually baked into the hardware and the reason those sigs failed is because they signed it with the wrong release key, and actual important functionality doesn't work without the sigs matching up, so it's actually not too bad
can you verify the file using the signatures included in the zip though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
maybe it was just a hash of the file lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Applebees posted:

Has anyone heard of IBM Security Trusteer Rapport? Multiple Canadian banks are recommending it. They must have some sort of deal.
our finance/hr team uses it and the only other thing i know about it is like every month they need to reinstall the client for updates

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i've never heard of wickr before but they just went open sores https://github.com/WickrInc/wickr-crypto-c

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

IE doesn't have a way for users to add roots to their keychains?
windows update does that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/wendynather/status/832284839789228032

• Locked thread