Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

thankyou for doing the needful afreak.

for content my ops mgr has asked me if i want to move to the secops team. talk about a secfuck. not the first time he's asked me either, i turned him down in february 2015 becos lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

i saw the thread was closed and thought, 'haha what have those secfuck boys gotten themselves into now'

p. disappointing. i expect better on this quality forum

we stopped loving around like that because bans were handed out the last time (see PATCH NOTES FOR V1.1)

Segmentation Fault posted:

looks like them secfuck boys are at it again

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

*chomebook

e: vvv fuckoff vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 5, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Truga posted:

This is great, I hope it happens.

i like how the only comment is entirely free of irony and only discusses possible implementation difficulties, entirely ignoring the practicality of such a function let alone how hilariously dangerous it would be

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pr0zac posted:

posting on the first page and all that

and good lord we need to get some better resource links for newbies than r/netsec, like its good for a reddit but its still reddit

we're better than reddit by virtue of not being reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pr0zac posted:

What are you up to currently and why wouldn't you wanna move? secops can be fun, get to play with a bunch of cool security tools

im doing mainly infra ops stuff at the moment, pretty much everything server-side from hypervisor up to software but for the last year i've been heading up an office 365 project. i already do a fuckton of security stuff and am the defacto security liaison of sorts for my team. i guess i'm worried about being pigeonholed should i move into secops proper. then again at the same time i can prolly affect change in practice better from there because things at the moment are very....relaxed.

guess i need to think on it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/817089856316784643

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

negromancer posted:

I don't currently have the link (on mobile and too lazy) but it's called "Security Risk Assessment" and it's a Syngress Press book. It's pretty much my risk assessment Bible for audit stuff and basically what I used to write the closing on what a company needs to focus on and do at 30 days, 90 days, etc based on what was found during the audit.

is it this one (PDF)? http://www.grc.net.br/attachment.php?attachmentid=46&d=1307706976

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

are there any non poo poo consumer wifi routers?

it's more SMB than consumer but i've got a cisco rv130w and it's been pretty solid (i mainly got it for the SSID-to-VLAN mapping). however i'm running it in AP-mode with routing disabled so i guess this isn't really helpful is it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah but someone will still gently caress it up somehow and then we will all have a good laugh.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

agreedo. also assuming that whatever is on the other end of rj45 jack speaks ethernet is a kind of dumb assumption

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just imagined this crazy image of a fully populated 48-port PoE switch and all the cables are plugged into a dryer. hell yeah

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i got into an argument with some colleagues at work recently because they were trying to do some PKI cert stuff and wanted to install openssl on a windows box. i told them to plainly "get to gently caress" but before wandering off i saw them peeping this page which is the top result on google for "openssl windows" and has binaries compiled almost a decade ago lmao http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/openssl.htm

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they didn't even want to use it for TLS, they just wanted to generate some keypairs/cert reqs! i told them to use certreq or just hop on one of the many fuckin linux jumphosts we've got.

i'm getting really drat tired of every single person on my contract not integrating sec into their thought processes. maybe i'm asking too much but this kind of bullshit as well as other much more egregious things would be avoided if the person involved just took a moment to think about whether they're doing something that's secure.

edit: the main reason im pissy about it is because these same colleagues of mine hang poo poo on me when i tell them to do poo poo properly. gently caress them though lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hilariously that's what they were already doing. it was for generating a new riverbed steelhead client cert or something which uses a custom template but still issued by the CA. dinguses didn't know how to do anything but blah blah this isn't cjs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

same but two loads and yet i don't have PTSD. maybe you should change things up and/or get really drunk?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my bad osi said to shut the gently caress up about washing machines and i posted about washing but everyone take your whitegoods to the whitegoods thread

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just want to chime in and say hackbunny you are doing some awesome poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

All I can find so far is a Romanian company that goes by that name, not a Singaporean one.

maybe it's these dinguses only without the owners knowledge http://www.globalsystem-sg.com/? their site is either a honey pot or it's already been completely compromised (massive surface area including mysql and VNC, looks like a server 2k3 box exposed completely to the net without fw). also their "mail server" mail.globalsystem-sg.com is equally exposed.

funny thing i'm p sure i saw their logo around pioneer shipyard in SG last time i was there

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Keep up the good work hackbunny, these posts are awesome

RE: disk size
I checked with the current version of vmware workstation, and if you provision an XP machine without changing any of the default settings you get a 45GB disk
(and one cpu and 512mb of ram lol)

ESXi 6.5 gives you a 1 vCPU with 256MB memory and 8GB disk VM if you select XP Pro 32/65-bit as the guest OS.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

hackbunny best bunny

this. but what happened to your av hackbunny?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

work sec-gently caress: a colleague of mine recently implemented a change on our god-awful forefront TMG reverse proxies. prior to implementing the change he made an encrypted backup of the existing TMG config to a folder on the local server.

he then created a file named "README.txt" which contained the key for the encrypted backup file. this file was then placed in the same folder as the backup itself.

the key was Password1

fake edit: i'm tempted to edit the text file and change it to hunter2 or somethin

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

to contrast in a rare work un-sec fuckup ive managed to get my good reference schannel config into the VM template used for server builds so now all our new servers will get an A on ssl labs out of the box.

thanks to BangersInMyKnickers for the inspiration and the good posts re schannel config on windows.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol, same but SAP and JRE 6.x only liking DES kerberos keytabs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

*me catching up on thread* "lol shaggar" :allears:

i'm a big proponent of surface area limitation taken to the extreme which includes not installing bullshit software on servers and such. there are many reasons why installing third-party software on servers is a bad idea, the primary being that unless it is packaged and supported by someone the installs wont get updated. also those environments where windows firewall is disabled on all servers because "durr legacy something something drink a litre of piss".

anyway, where possible i'll try and find a first-party solution which is secure and meets requirements before even considering third-party sw. RDS gateway mentioned by bangers is one. SSH tunnel (or any VPN tunnel really) as mentioned by OSI is also good because you are still using the first-party product only you're adding a layer to ensure it's secure.

installing garbage software which doesn't really even have any use case in tyool 2017 outside of abject laziness and adherence to being a shitbird helps no one.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

for actualy content, xpost from the cisco thread:

the spyder posted:

My night thus far has involved hash cat, several GPU's, and the admin password for our 7010 chassis. I don't even want to talk about how we got here, the short answer is former employee. Even with half a dozen GPU's at my disposal, it would still be 6 months to brute-force the password according to the software. This. This is why you don't let a site manage its own gear. God.drat.It. (Excuse the rant).

lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Volmarias posted:

The printernet of poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

quote:

...stole more than 50 terabytes of highly sensitive data.

gently caress the hacking tools, that's prolly only a couple of GB at most. what's the rest of the data?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

is there any info on how the dude exfiltrated that data? i've been going through poo poo in my head and assuming a semi-competent net-sec team with competent physical security the only way i can think of is the dude was handed a 50TB DMS DB full of all kinds of poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

on another subject i noticed today that ssl labs now scans for DNS CAA. has anyone ever configured it and can advise? just wondering for my server that's running a comedy-option config

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fake edit: started thinking about possible methods for exfil then realised that we know nowhere near enough to even theorise.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Truga posted:

the old firefox extension framework is also real loving good though, and allows for a lot of things the lovely js one can't do

NPAPI support : firefox :: register_globals : PHP

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm gonna guess flash drive up the butt because it's the funniest option

ah but was it 100 x 512GB flash drives on one day or one 512GB flash drive per day for 100 days?

can you even get 512GB flash drives idk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

don't think this is about npapi support, but rather the extensions based on the xul/xpcom framework, basically the same customization level that turned the same base application into both firefox and thunderbird with just different xml/javascript tossed in

going to webextensions, same relatively weaksauce thing that chrome and edge uses. no doubt way safer and easier to maintain, but the possiblities are also certainly not as many

so there's an API which has the same functionality as NPAPI but is less of a dumpster-fire sec wise compared to NPAPI?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ah i see. thanks for the info.

everyone pls ignore my posts, im wrong again!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd aay we're back at option one: the contractor was just given a fuckton of data which was then placed on a network outside of the NSA. if we use occams razor then for once"1000 thumb(drives) in the butt" is less realistic.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Meat Beat Agent posted:

universal serial butt

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i asked my colleague who worked at raytheon / DSIA "DID THE NSA EVER IMPLEMENT A BUTT TRANSFER PROTOCOL FOR CONTRACTORS?" and he says "It was one of their more successful implementations" case closed

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm inclined to say "lol if your 'app' is just a browser backed by a bunch of websites" but isn't that the folly of everything these days?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah i know that now. i'm an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Here's my sec gently caress for the year. Had an employee leave us a few months ago who was doing work at a national lab. Guess he thought the best way to handle chain of custody for his computer my group owns was to leave it in an unused cube in a public space and write a username/password on a whiteboard next to it (which gives full access to the lab's network) and "This is DrPossum's computer now" (I'm not even his supervisor or have anything to do with ownership)

I learned of this by email from a rando grad student at the lab asking if he could use it.

yeah same but it's a drilling drig and the laptop belongs to the senior drilling supervisor and he leaves it unlocked all the time and the offices well there aren't really any locked offices on a rig and often they're unoccupied and there's no CCTV and he has passwords for his laptop, personal laptop, FB and personal e-mail on post-its around the desk. also there's an unsecured network on the vessel for wired and wireless acess with no 802.1x on the wired and just PSK for wireless (codes written on whiteboard in SDSV office).sure that net doesn't touch client network and has service-provider break-out to the internet instead of hitting the MPLS but lol there's some very "loose" ACLs on the ASA in front of the VSAT and you could quite easily traverse back to shore.

also it's the same poo poo in the geo office

and the completions office.

i forgot what my point was but lol there's no sec offshore

edit: lol i forgot there's a port in the medic's office that has port sec disabled because it needs some life-saving device plugged-in but lol if you want to hook up just un-plug the super life saving device no one cares.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 7, 2017

• Locked thread