Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's the scariest loving thing because i'm watching off-shore gas processing facilities going into production with equally lax configuration on them. they're being commissioned in korea and the company has gone hard on lowest $ tender which means they've ended up with poo poo and we're just made to produce punch-lists of poo poo which is hosed and may or may not get fixed.

makes me sick to my stomach thinking i could be responsible if a system goes to piss and the onshore plant goes boom or something equally disastrous. i didn't build these systems i just tried to force people to make them not shite and do things properly (because if you're not prepared to do something properly then you shouldn't loving do it) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they might have an open git repo idk

edit: nothing to see there, they're just screencapping logs from WP. also their WP install is patched to latest and they have a competent host.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

coworker today: "it was giving me some kind of 'self-signed certificate' error but don't worry i took care of it"

what did you do coworker, what did you doooooooo :ohdear:

disabled https prolly lol

comedy option: he/she added the self-signed cert to the default domain policy so it will be added to the trusted store on all machines

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

loll

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

would this be really bad even on a company intranet site?

yes because you can't revoke a self-signed cert. also other reasons that i'm not immediately remembering.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

out of poo, like a scarab

mlyp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

work secfuck: we've just discovered that one of our EPCs is "sharing" data with us from an SMB share that's exposed to the internet. it appears they've at least configured fw policies to only allow connections from our main static NAT IP but loving lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HOLY gently caress found a batch file in there which maps a drive for installing crystal reports and the batch file has a username + password right there in plain text. lol this is hilarious

edit: lol found another batch file with sqlcmd lines in it, both have username + password in the clear. it looks like they have an MS SQL DB instance on this same IP laffo

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 13, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/larao68/status/831297085496401920

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Notorious BGP

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

All the discussion in media of file-less malware has got me interested in how this is actually accomplished. Does anyone have any links to decent write ups for how you can actually inject malicious code into memory without touching the filesystem at all? I'm not sure what the techniques for this are.

e: i found this: https://securelist.com/blog/research/77403/fileless-attacks-against-enterprise-networks/ which is a decent primer, so far.

pretty much all modern malware which is spread via drive-by infects clients entirely in memory before ever touching the file system, usually through arbitrary code execution using buffer overflow exploits and then chained with a privilege escalation exploit to run as system. after that they'll usually touch the file system in some way to root the machine thus ensuring that they remain resident.

however after i wrote the above i saw the link you posted which clarifies "file-less" malware as simply malware which covers its tracks when interacting with the file system. so yeah, same stuff applies i guess?

edit: ive been making a lot of dumb posts recently so someone please call me out if im an idiot

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 16, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wheany posted:

well on one had, i don't really need bitlocker, but on the other, doesn't everybody need it? like it probably shouldn't be a "pro" feature in cyber year 2015

maybe i'm cynical but upselling is the reason IMO. a large majority of users don't know what bitlocker is and dont care so microsoft can make it a pro feature and get more money from the people who do know and care without affecting regular users.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

i actually like and use docker all the time and i'm pretty sure it's still a net negative on the world because it seems like nobody in the loving world but me knows how not to gently caress it up in laughably terrible ways

i know what docker is but i've never actually used it. however whenever i hear colleagues mention it i quietly lol because of exactly that. it seems like one of those things which is easy to get into but easy to fuckup.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so, i was brosing startups...

http://www.authbase.net/

quote:

SECURITY IS NOT AN OPTION!

except for HTTPS i guess which their website doesnt support...

e: copyright date in the footer is 2016, site is prolly long ded

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

has anyone ever done research into URL shortening services like bitly? i've just noticed that raytheon is one of their customers (rtn.co) which has me interested.

e: who is going to bsides next month? not me because i suck

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd setup an IPsec tunnel between the two servers

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm probably dumb but does that only affect proxysg os v6.5 or is it v6.5 and later. we're actually in the process of trying to upgrade our pair of blue coats, one is on 6.6 but the other is on 6.5 so lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpost, holy loly

incoherent posted:

Please regale me in your stories today of management asking you, personally, to contact Mr. Zon to ask what's up with the cloud.

e: classic

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol nice

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

i once had a discussion with a developer who claimed that he was going to 'bolt the security on at a later date', maybe he works for you guys now?

i hope that dev is now dead. loving ignorant bastard. it's exactly that attitude which is the cause of all our problems. pissssssss

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo symantec gently caress this product

ftfy

real talk though, if you've got on-premise exchange trend micro scanmail seems pretty OK. i've only had to install it and manage the exchange instances it's on but it seems very set-and-forget, never had any issues.

ofc you shld be doing anti-spam/av/whatever at the edge before it even hits your network but lol idk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

he's still alive and has since become the sort of person who wears odd socks on purpose to prove how laid back he is

gently caress me the mans an insufferable singularity i really do hope he dies

e: mlmp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

we're doing this because the edge is so misconfigured that it lets every possible thing through and I can't control it. and we are "standardized" on symantec so SMS was my only recourse and they block purchase of anything else

ah poo poo my condolences, especially if you've got messagelabs (now symantec.cloud) as your edge MTA. that product is hot garbage. for example, they recently got more than half of their MXs blacklisted by some prominent RBLs. who the gently caress even lets that happen?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Varkk posted:

Not a security fuckup, just a regular fuckup.

you're a fuckup

Varkk posted:

We use teamviewer host pushed out via GPO to avoid that. However we still have some external clients with no domain infrastructure where this can be an issue.

edit: props to ratbert who actually pointed this out several posts up

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Truga posted:

the s in iot stands for security

spankmeister posted:

new thread title pls

mods plzz

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

I just managed to bully a client cert out of the help desk for my VPN app. They were going to call me on my "on-file" contact number with the passphrase to unlock the key for import. No worries guys, I managed to get it in one guess: CompanyName123

Gonna have some interesting conversations on Monday.

yeah, with HR whilst being sacked for violating corpsec policy!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

Are SSL Lab screenshots still cool? I got linked to a customer portal today that immediately threw a cert error and, well:

(The cert expired 2 1/2 years ago)

:catstare:

only if you name and shame. the lack of TLS 1.2 support is pretty funny, must be an ancient and or incredibly poorly configured server

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

firefox v52.0 has a new captive-portal detection feature which works by sending a HTTP GET to http://detectportal.firefox.com/success.txt. however it seems to do it extremely aggressively (from looking at my session logs sometimes once every minute). i'm sure there's a secfuck in here somewhere. also it's dumb that it's requesting a literal file instead of just looking for a HTTP 200 (maybe? i'm probably dumb, could depend on how the captive portal works).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya abusing captive portals is in the cia's docs where they outline that the https cert for captive.apple.com is a big pain in the rear end and they'd never be able to source it

hopefully firefox isn't just plain http as cheese-cube says

Truga posted:

well https returns bad domain with cloudflare cn, so unless they're doing some http header magic, it's probably bad

yeah they definitely appear to be doing it in the clear, i can see the requests for straight plain HTTP on tcp/80. and as Truga said the endpoint is listening on tcp/443 but has a bad cert so unlikely they're using HTTPS

e: my dumb idiotfucker tweet about the thing:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/839476937441476608

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

apseudonym posted:

Captive portals are garbage so you have to test http if you plan to send anything plaintext, since they may let HTTPS through unmolested but then gently caress up HTTP. Pretty much everyone does this but usually only when you move networks or if something looks particularly off.

Captive portals are a fuckup.

i've actually been dealing with some cisco anyconnect VPN fuckery recently and yeah captive portals are turbo retarded. things become immensely more complicated if you're directing users to use a VPN that implements split-tunnel or even split-DNS.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i didnt need to see that...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fisting by many posted:

what is going on with that child's spine

no spines where we're going

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

code signing is cool and good and its good for people to think about it even if its for silly poo poo like a text editor.

ive seen np++ installed (yes installed, not just the portable exe) on a hilarious number of dev and prod application servers (usually SAP). unfortunately i do not have the clout to stop them so it's at least nice that the np++ dev is conscious of security

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ask Slashdot: Should You Use Password Managers?

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54003917 posted:

By "Password Manager" do you mean..

..my brain? Then yes.

:smuggo:

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54003667 posted:

Haha, no. For the same reason you don't keep all your valuables in one safe.

hrm

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54004807 posted:

Should I trust my IP TV: Yes!

Just the thought of having all my passwords in a mildly obfuscated database laying around on digital media 24/24 might keep from sleeping. I guess it's OK for some passwords although, like: /.

lol what a dingus

there's also plenty of comments where people are bragging about their super unique passphrase algo. morons. ofc it is slashdot afterall

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im still using password safe with a local DB on an encrypted volume because it works for me. it would probably be convenient having browser integration or whatever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Uncompressed mp3s?

...WAVs?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

can someone explain to me what fortinet is doing here using a weird CN for the cert of their UTM sig update service?

also lol trying to run SSL Labs against update.fortiguard.net returns internal errors

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

corporations shouldn't need to be encouraged to do the right thing. maybe governments could implement stricter auditing regimens in conjunction with enhanced whistleblowing protections and setup federal bug-bounty programs which encourage security conscious developers to come-forward and report secfucks in the products they're developing?

kinda like what the FDA does i guess

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

that just creates space for an unethical person in a less-regulated place to step up and occupy the niche. like when you shoot all the skunks in your garden and raccoons move in and you say "man do i wish i had the skunks back"

the isp as the gatekeeper is probably the easiest approach to implement but i shudder to think of what their phone drones would have to endure as a result

imo carrier-level blocking sets a dangerous precedent and would not be effective. sure you could block the majority of layer 4 C&C traffic but what about layer 7 C&C which is piggybacking off a legit service like twitter? unless you want SSL intercept with deep-packet inspection then holy pisssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

there's been zero motivation from governments to even form a somewhat rudimentary framework of standards and oversight for the industry. as the public cannot mentally attribute damages from criminal enterprise to their fridge or smart TV there is no mass public outcry calling for change. unless someone actually dies horribly from an IoT toaster/lawnmower then we more than likely will not see much movement in the space. and if someone does die then lookout here cum the lobbyists.

• Locked thread