Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh good. The story looked a lot bleaker a couple of days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

slack does this as well

I think it's fine because generally speaking, if you have access to someone's email, then you have access to pretty much any service linked to that email address. (barring 2FA)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I believe the NSA's assessment on this. They were right about the Sony hacks too.

And about the intended purpose:
Word on the street is that this version of wannacry wasn't ready yet, and got released by accident. Then it turned out to be a huge success and they weren't quite ready for that. (The hardcoded Bitcoin address for example meant that they had to authorize each decrypt by hand).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

M*ster Sl*ve

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jfc is that the ancient thing they use on pacific islands where a "roller" takes a "footprint" of the card/

yes

as seen in movies from the 80's

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

next up - arithmometer-using cashiers

whoa slow down there youngster

we use abacuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

the last time i used one was on an amtrak train in the mid-2000s

The last time for me was last year at a Korean restaurant.
You can't pay with credit or debit at all, with one exception. You can pay with Visa.
The owner, who is like 85 years old comes out with his carbon copy swipy roller thing.

They never upgraded to any kind of electronic payment system and presumably visa is the only one that still allows him to do this.

• Locked thread