Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol yes you only exploited 0-days when your clients said it was ok, but youre pretty sure none were bad guys

I mean she's Russian so "found bugs and exploited them" probably means found bugs and wrote exploits that clients could use

so she is making more of an effort to filter out bad guys than zerodium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
yeah I'm pretty sure it also sends back info on you, your shopping habits, the gender of your children, etc. before it pops a GUI

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
mailbee feature was probably a client requirement, author was like no that's not secure, then client was like I DEMAND IT, author was like whatever idiot here you go get hosed

:3:

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
carbon black is good software, I did bug bounty stuff for them. would recommend. not so sure about your privacy as an end user, but you should assume networking knows what you jack to

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
has anyone looked into their native library yet? exactly what address is it that they're finding via JS? from their videos that looks like a stack or library address, stack makes more sense because the data changes, but I'm not sure. if it is a stack location there's way less cause for concern than if they leaked an executable's aslr slide. if it turns out they can only leak addresses for locations they can rapidly change the contents of, that's disappointing

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

ok, you're an idiot! :)

modern "file-less" malware drive-by infects the machine and then never writes anything to disk at all, it relies on long uptimes and multiple machines on the network being infected to re-infect individual machines after they're rebooted and the malware instance is lost

uhhhh there's also families being called fileless because they persist entirely in registry keys, using powershell. this is what the recent wave of news spam using the term has been about...

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
hey has anyone used splunks universal forwarder as an alternative to expensive endpoint security poo poo (carbon black)?

it says it can log new processes, services, logins, runkeys, etc which is probably enough to detect if an endpoint got owned.

is this good enough? budget is $0, and there's like no trail for these things in the corporation at present. only other things I can think to do is run LimaCharlie or Eljefe on hosts, and that would only serve to tell us they did double click the exe they downloaded, or the webapp on this server was popped because a process spawned as a child of php-fpm. it would also serve to make another server exist, to promptly break when I'm not there to babysit the company in a few months... idk how robust those are

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

have fun with your 500mb/day ingestion limit!

our ops dude set up splunk to do audit logging of AD alone and we blew past 5gb/day with just AD lol

geez yeah I wonder how much I could tune it down to ingest and still be useful in this ~1200 person company

why does security have to be expensive, I think it's impossible to save companies that won't spend money on it.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

then again nothing generally works out of the box at $0 anyway

feel free to PM me if you have specific questions you don't want to share in here

yeah, I've got to get them set up with an ELK stack until their permanent engineers can grab a better splunk license. WEF is a great tip, I think that'll be really useful for when they need to do IR again. Hopefully I can use one DB for WEF and point multiple things at it (google timesketch, kibana, etc)

osquery is cool, but none of the security dudes at this co can program for poo poo so I was swerving it. bro-osquery like you linked looks like the automation/collection layer I was missing for osquery which is awesome! I'll check out how much pain is involved.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

spankmeister posted:

https://ictf.cs.ucsb.edu/pages/the-2016-2017-ictf-ddos.html

tl;dr LC/BC (Russian CTF team) gets caught cheating and disqualified. Good write-up of the forensics involved in catching them.

there is a sec thread poster on that team

it's ok friend ictf is the shittiest ctf I agree

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

spankmeister posted:

It's a pretty lovely way to cheat and they didn't even win because of it lmao.

in a competition like ictf a 1% difference is wholly attributable to being unlucky with their poo poo garbage infrastructure not scoring correctly one or two times.

it was a decent gamble, I wouldn't of thought their whole system was going to poo poo the bed just because you're doing under 100k connections either

e: also if you're not first you're last p much no other place matters

Daman fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 4, 2017

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so… y'all broke the rules because you didn't think you'd be caught, and then sent a million emails protesting that you didn't break the rules enough

not a Russian, ictf has always been garbage run by academic sperglords. you only have it as a dc qual because it's like the only a/d ctf regardless of quality

last year they literally made everyone write their own challenges

lmbo

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

rjmccall posted:

llvm does a lot of implicit constant folding even at -O0

when you're writing an obfuscation pass it's run last using opt... there isn't any constant folding past that, is there? the only part of the llvm chain left is the export of bitcode to whatever backend, which.... doesn't really contain any optimization other than grouping multiple IR instructions into one emitted instruction.

right? lmk if I missed a part

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I think the point is that the constants you're looking for may be folded before the obfuscation pass can see them.

well mov reg, constant can't really get folded out of every situation. it'll still occur plenty. mov reg, constant; xor reg, imm; is a constant expression you'd see trivially folded. so, curious if OP knows more

Daman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 23, 2017

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

so, that guy's funny, but here's some quotes from the one guy responding to them in that channel.

quote:

<Bitweasil> warrshrike, right. So. Quit video games if you want to get good at stuff.

<Bitweasil> No, I don't play video games, because I have better things to do with my time, like get good at low level x86 and such.
<Bitweasil> You're welcome to fap around playing games. Have a ball. But that nerfs your ability to get /good/ at poo poo.

<Bitweasil> warrshrike, thought so. Self identifies as 'gamer', about 100% odds they spend a lot of time pointlessly fapping too.
<Bitweasil> If you're going to do that, at least learn some proper pickup artistry and use real women.

* Bitweasil doubts warrshrike will last a week with no gaming & no fapping.

<Bitweasil> I'm pretty sure there's a "nofap" community on reddit.

* Bitweasil faintly hates to be an rear end about the whole gaming and fapping thing, but, seriously, you won't get good at anything if you do that.

<Bitweasil> You're more likely to find it's hard and go back to gaming and fapping, though.

never stop being horrible, security community

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
Does anyone know the process to get AV companies to care about some malware? Doing IR for this hopeless company that got hosed by a certain nation state, they had like four different implants, only one of which is being detected by like 6 on virustotal. The rest are totally not detected, but these binaries are not even obfuscated. Lots of strings and debug strings. That one is a Remexi implant, Symantec did a writeup on Remexi, wrote a report with YARA signatures. Symantec endpoint protection, installed on all of their hosts, failed to detect it.

Like one of these hits Google Drive and calls createprocess after downloading whatever new poo poo. How is there not a heuristic "Internet connectivity, and then this process spawned cmd.exe as a child"! AV is loving worthless.

But there's got to be some way to get Symantec to trigger on these samples at least, right?

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
I would think Symantec probably takes ages to detect new stuff from feeds, there's gotta be some high priority channel...

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

bicycle posted:

this is loving gross and makes me mad - malwaretech repeatedly asked to be anonymous and although right now this malware looks to be hacked together and vaguely skiddish it could just have easily have been a serious gang with nothing against causing this guy damage

if he didn't know his handle was doxxable he's an idiot practicing bad opsec. if some poo poo journalist can do it, anyone can.

good thing he was made aware of it? so he can gently caress with malware gangs on an alias that won't get him assassinated. or take the full Brian Krebs route

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
so what is tsb trying to do

they're not trying to make money, they would just sell individual exploits.

they're not trying to cause chaos, they wait for patches

they're not trying to embarrass the usgovt, they'd just post how easy it was to own them for that or at least there'd be more fuckery than a tool dump

are they just in it for the meme fame

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
how can msmpeng not be sandboxed? like, what? they rolled it in as a standard component. they're even sandboxing dangerous kernel areas now.

did someone just forget all this weird AV poo poo

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

e: just saw this winner on their homepage

oh boy I can post about them

they're a fresh grad mill where people leave after a year unless they're a specific kind of person

that's the kind of person that really enjoys pseudo military style management. this one partner level guy has a huge huge military fetish. the incompetence, the temperament, it's all there!! people jokingly call him "major". your performance in the company is really only based on certifications and time spent.

the listing is correct. no security experience required. that matches the skill level of people at all levels in that company

plus the main office is Tampa Florida. bad

Daman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 10, 2017

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah that sucks though i'm already kinda living in tampa

bsides tampa is a good place 2 look if you want entry level jobbo from doing regular IT. none of the other vendors that were there last year were awful companies, i think. GuidePoint is an example of a good consultancy that was heavily involved in bsides cuz they have a big office in tampa

but i am just a self-hating floridian

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

leper khan posted:

I just bought binja; does anyone know a good resource of crackmes to get better at reversing?

I have no idea what I want to do with it after I patch dark mode into unity at home.

these reversing challenges have pretty much everything you'd expect from a crackme :)

https://github.com/ctfs/write-ups-2016/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=reversing&type=

also this is going on right now, but it's not really 100% just pure reverse engineering in binja

LabyREnth.com

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
its apparently lame as gently caress, not really the same as the old 2k core source leak it's some API set and other poo poo leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
e_vestigate / the twitter account replying to nikita is a troll account tho, it's not really him

• Locked thread