Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

i saw the thread was closed and thought, 'haha what have those secfuck boys gotten themselves into now'

p. disappointing. i expect better on this quality forum

looks like them secfuck boys are at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

0day poastin'

guess I gotta emptyquote this

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0zac posted:

posting on the first page and all that

and good lord we need to get some better resource links for newbies than r/netsec, like its good for a reddit but its still reddit

speaking of secfucks and reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/ is a pretty good collection of "good at computers" types who believe in the "run a magical program" school of infosec

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
also @taviso, @briankrebs, and occasionally @puellavulnerata for yossec twitter

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

quote:

Geeksquad, a moron

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I'm the embedded system running standard Windows 7

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

still getting mileage out of the cloud to butt extension

hackbunny posted:

why wouldn't you just download the official iso. did you know? if you don't activate windows 10, a few features are locked out but it mostly works?

a lot of people don't know that microsoft hands out the install media no questions asked

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

you still can't download a windows 7 ISO from MS afaict, but they even have a tool for downloading windows 10

Microsoft's website will give you a Windows 7 ISO if you give them a valid key

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
you can still get a free upgrade if you jump through some sort of user accessibility hoop, I don't know anything about that specifically

You can still get the install media for Win10 from Microsoft and install it without a valid license just fine, it just locks you out of some features like Hackbunny said

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0zac posted:

no one should be running windows 7 when win10 is a free upgrade

but windows 10 spies on you!

Anyway check out my android

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Farcry 5 looking good

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Security
Hardware for the
Internet of
Things

my eyes glazed over this the first few emptyquotes

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

*does a doubletake at shaggar not wanting something integrated with AD*

honestly I'm concerned for Shaggar's well being at this point

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

iirc filezilla is bundled with adware when it's offered through sourceforge but that's an issue with sourceforge and not filezilla itself

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

there was a period of time when sourceforge got owned and everything was injected with adware. but that's what you get for using open sores.

was it actually a malicious attack? I thought they just sold out

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MononcQc posted:

Parents had an android smart tv with some outdated poo poo on it, and it would take 2+ minutes to start every time they turned it on because it was timing out trying to update apps it has installed or some poo poo that would not resolve. They were about to return it to the store, and I just took out the wifi creds and it started booting fast again.

I'm shopping for new TVs now and I'm just afraid I'd get one that flat out refuses to work without an active connection.

I've read about ones that require an Internet connection to complete setup before you're allowed to actually watch anything on it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Maybe don't go to dodgy russian app "stores" on your smart TV?

:shrug:
are you not aware of security problems with internet of things poo poo (and by extension smart tvs)

i was explaining what a ransomware was to a coworker who didn't know anything about it and why TV's can now get them and he was like "but if the TV isn't smart how will I watch netflix on it??"

"you know they sell like $30 boxes that do that that you can hook up to the TV, and then even if that thing gets rekt you're only out $30 instead of an entire TV"

"ohhhhhhh that makes much more sense!"

thanks guy
Rokus are great little momputer-type devices and they seem a lot more bolted down than your average iot device

can you even install apps on a roku or are you just stuck with what it's bundled with? I don't remember

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Right, but if you're only using it as a TV tuner and don't hook it up to the internet...

(point taken though)

If it's not hooked up to the Internet, then it's probably not going to get owned, but how many people are going to know not to keep it hooked up?

i like that thing actually, it has a really weird "free TV" service on it that has "channels" composed of bizarre garbage sub-youtube dregs, like there's this one 'channel' about videogames where every single 'show' takes place in the exact same room and they're all just 'nerds sit around and talk about videogames' or 'nerds sit around while wearing onesies and talk about videogames,' it's like some kind of modern public access station
this sounds like the 2016 equivalent of some poo poo you'd find on television at 3 in the morning

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
FactsAreUseless is saying "nobody on SA has access to your credit card info"

negromancer is saying "that's not true because I work at the hosting provider for SA and therefore have access"

am I getting this right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, I have never seen anybody's full CC information, much less ever stored it for "accounting purposes" you lying idiot.

quote:

Actually you know what? Call this cumulative for the constantly bad posting every time I see you post all the time, all the insane D&D poo poo, but especially for telling people that their CC info isn't secure here. If you don't want to post here, don't. Stop pretending you're important or special with your ~~~secret knowledge~~~. If you re-reg, and I don't encourage it, I'd better see you post differently.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
negromancer's last ban is for trying to whitewash a black goon over political reasons so this guy is super good

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:wow:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Security Fuckup Megathread - v13.1 - $10 for SA's customer CC info

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

i got one better

:lol:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
this thread hasnt been alive a month lets not get it killed please :(

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

medical devices are some of the most deeply, troublingly flawed pieces of computer you will ever encounter. companies go to extreme lengths to define the domain the device covers just so to avoid fda regulation (which, lol if that still even exists in 2 years) and will always do the bare minimum required by the loosest interpretation of the regs then fight it out in court. they don't give a poo poo at all about the patient's safety at all because they have the patient over a barrel (you need the device or you die).

but see medicine benefits from the free market because

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

get brain fuckler'd

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'd like to think that you two have the same dumb friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Installing Linux isn't a realistic option for most end users, and buying a MBP costs a lot of money said user may not have.

Assuming they're even aware of this, which they're likely not.

lol if you think apple isn't doing the same telemetry on their end too

• Locked thread