Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ultramiraculous posted:

we were talking about this at work the other day, but has there ever been a documented case of bad firmware implementing stringent binary signing and essentially locking the manufacturer out of further updates?

this actually rings a bell, but i can't remember any details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingexecutive posted:

department spreadsheets? more like department spreadcheeks

no, but seriously, grab your ankles, i need to log in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm the windowsexperience

seriously disappointing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

suffix posted:

so apparently north korea did the wannacry ransomware

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...381c_story.html

idk seems weird - wannacry didnt really seem that different from the thousands of other ransomwares, it just happened to be really successful using a recently published exploit, and as i understand it they didn't set up proper infrastructure for the large amount of infections
its like the flappy bird of ransomware

so i kind of figure either nk must have been churning out ransomware for years and finally got lucky, or some it guy is fronting because "hacked by north korea" sounds better than "owned by 13 yo scriptkiddie because you didn't patch"

quote:

WannaCry was apparently an attempt to raise revenue for the regime, but analysts said the effort was flawed. Though the hackers raised $140,000 in bitcoin, a form of digital currency, so far they have not cashed it in, the analysts said. That is likely because an operational error has made the transactions easy to track, including by law enforcement.
lol

bitcoin: now also useless for crime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you pay for power?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Volmarias posted:

The thinly veiled American Politics YOSPOS thread is this way, friends. Leave this thread for a actual sec fucks please.

You SOB, don't point them there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mazda, or why you shouldn't just autoexecute any scripts you can find on a flash drive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

assuming the infotainment system has 0 access to anything else, it's still monumentally dumb to have the system autoexec scripts from removable media, also to allow unsigned code

i'm having the xda-forumz experience on your dash is neat and all though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here's a bit better writeup on it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

Why would people be integrating a standard that's already shut off by AT&T and will be shut off nationwide on all major carriers by 2020?

Probably not that GSM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so i've just discovered while transitioning services for a client, that the all-in-one (industry targeted) MSP they were using has their "Zoolz" cloud backup service tied to an employee email address.

the same address is used for multiple customers

you can browse and restore from the other customers data

these customers have massive amounts of PII including medical information for their members

i don't even know where to start with this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oh shiiiiiiiiit

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2017/06/23/windows_10_leak/

32TB of Windows 10 internal builds, core source code leak online

oh boy. now that's a secfuck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is it a government thing?

the MSP offers services specifically to unions, so some of the people exposed are likely government employees, but they don't to my knowledge provide services directly to the government

i'm setting up a meeting with my client to discuss their exposure, then i guess i'm contacting the privacy commissioner

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tl;dr: the register is probably full of poo poo and nothing in that article was correct

...or so say the people blamed for the leaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the one licensed hyperterm install

• Locked thread