Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

much like the most efficient code, the most secure program is one never written

makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

*nods sagely*

therefore my messaging app that discards all messages on any attempt to send is the best

if you wrote an app and it's running that means that the user's inputted message is stored as plaintext in a buffer before being discarded, not secure

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

spit on my clit posted:

guess who just got two letters from Gamestop notifying me that they had a security breach from august 10th to february 9th and that I put CC info into their system during that time. thiiiiiiiiiis guuuuuuuuy.

august 10th to february 9th of what? 2008?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, that's good news. gsa has their poo poo together.

Especially conpared to boy scouts which has become laughably bad.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Cocoa Crispies posted:

huh traditional American masculinity bad, who would've guessed

Midjack posted:

become?

when i was in it in the 90s the computer merit badge hadn't been updated in so long (late 70s) that my living room counted as a "computer installation" on account of the commodore 64 having such advanced peripherals as a floppy drive, light pen, and printer. one of the requirements was to visit such a place to marvel at the technology

It got even worse believe it or not. It's run by a bunch of elderly white men who have become increasingly obsessed with the concept of "boyhood". Basically:

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's a long story but short version is: Mormon church took it over

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shaggar posted:

pinewood derby owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Dodoman posted:

Without the ccv code isn't it useless?

Nope, I once entered in the wrong ccv for an online purchase and it went through just fine. It was also with my Cap it alOne card which usually is pretty good about inconveniencing alerting me when anything even slightly weird happens.

It seems like 99% of credit card security is purely for show. Ultimately CCs are just a sequence of 16 numbers matched with a name that the user literally carries with them everywhere etched onto a plastic card.

• Locked thread