Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Migishu posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v13.0.1 - looks like them secfuck boys are at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

anthonypants posted:

every single one of the claims made against trump is completely unverifiable, and buzzfeed believes that journalism means publishing every claim so that the american people can figure out what's real and what's not by themselves. everything in those highlighted printouts is bullshit, and you would be a humongous gullible idiot for taking any of those claims seriously.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/818977092016611328

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

BobHoward posted:

notifications can be negative, i.e. thing stops responding to pings

unplug your washer and the power company thinks you had an outage

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

she wasn't pardoned, her sentence was commuted

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

actually, printer paper is bad for wiping your butt

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Midjack posted:

edit: i'm the guy in the rabbit mask who immediately takes it off and walks away at the end

i too enjoyed Donnie Darko

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

...why would it have to be a Photoshop or AI file? why does the file type mean that nobody can connect to the computer and put up their own image / animation / video file?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

You see, it's unhackable, because the hacker would have to go through a few minutes extra of work to hack it. Nobody's ever wasted a bunch of time to do something pointless and funny on the internet.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

the tinfoil hat part of me thinks it was erased on purpose and disguised as ransomware

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Does it specify the method? If not, time to just XOR all the things!

I assume it says something like "industry standard encryption," so that means they can get away with 3DES.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

denuvo does actually work if integrated properly, by virtue of being a cryptographic virtual machine running essential parts of the game engine. just cause 3 still hasn't been cracked and that's a year old at this point

probably more because of the heavily integrated always online bullshit

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

how do you think they "heavily integrate" it, if not the "cryptographic virtual machine"

I mean the online features in every aspect of the game that do nothing to improve it but somehow justify a constant connection to a central server.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

ymgve posted:

why are slot machines using PRNGs at all - just have a microphone, a temperature sensor or some optical sensor - the lower bits should provide entropy enough for the system, it's not like it needs more than a few byts of RNG for every spin anyway

if you're really paranoid, just throw the RNG module into a centralized server or something, the slot machines are probably networked anyway

I'm shocked any gambling commission would ever authorize a slot machine that uses any form of PRNG

i'm like 75% sure that most of the time, outside sources of entropy like that are still run into a PRNG and that's used for whatever random numbers the system needs.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll close this thread if this D&D stuff continues.

protecting your info against customs agents seems perfectly in line with this thread imo

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

infernal machines posted:

i get that this isn't the place for it, but is there a thread we can use to talk about the ongoing comically terrifying opsec fuckups of the american administration? cause boy howdy there's a humdinger today.

i would like a middle ground between this thread and D&D because i really don't want to go to D&D

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i changed the ssh ports to a VPS once because i kept logging in and seeing "200 login attempts since last login"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

thanks, joke explainer

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

if you haven't watched into eternity i don't know what to tell you

other than that you could watch it right now on youtube

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

every registrar i've used lets you hide your info from whois, though it usually costs a bit extra. 'course, you can always fill out fake info, because nobody verifies it.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

hackbunny posted:

you loving imbecile don't ever "actually" or quote me again

cool

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

rjmccall posted:

how would a wireless device specifically require skin contact to reprogram anyway? even if it only picks up signals from at most a foot away, that's a big difference from actually requiring skin contact

ymgve posted:

edit: Reading the article, it seems like programmers already do something like this - requires skin contact programming to read a device key which is then used for wireless programming.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

surebet posted:

i'm legit concerned that further fuckery will be handled in the same way that auto manufacturer handled some incidents, where some mba geniuses cost benefited recall expenditures versus lawsuits and opted to hide risks from their customers.

that's fight club

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

could you, like, chill, yo

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Peachfart posted:

None of these will work. At the bare minimum, older MFP's leave their serial number almost invisibly on any copy, print, or scan. Newer copiers, and certainly anything the government is using(we are their main supplier), have much more information especially since you are required to use PIV to log into each machine.

so why wouldn't OCR work? how would the serial number make it into the OCR'd text?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Peachfart posted:

OCR(at least the native OCR in a copier) doesn't remove all other images, it just makes a text layer in the PDF. If you are talking about after printing the document, you run it though another piece of equipment just to extract the text, that would work. Or perhaps extracting the text layer of an OCR'ed document? Never done that, dunno if it is possible.

i took the post to be a series of steps. you scan the paper, ocr it using all sorts of wonderful software we have today on personal computers, and don't share the originals.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you can also, like, retype it.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

also why would you use buttflare but only for dns

it's got a better interface than my registrar does and i don't care enough about my spare time projects to do anything else

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

almost every job is making stuff to enable capitalism, dude

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i dunno, you're not like, a marketer, so i don't know why you should feel ashamed about it

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

funny Star Wars parody posted:

all computer touchers will perish along with their bourgeoisie overlords for enabling capitalist domination

tough, but fair

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

rjmccall posted:

lol at your just-world assumption that there's a way off the short list for the guillotine

there is and it's to be the one doing the guillotining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

it's hard to have something pushed in your face when you're a ghost.

• Locked thread