Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Flying Leatherman posted:

Maybe I'm late on cipher discussions, but https://cipherli.st is a nice resource that I've used before

on a government project we weren't even allowed to use tls 1.0

1.1 and 1.2 only.

i was ok with it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

are there any non poo poo consumer wifi routers?

just get a dedicated wifi access point and connect it to a decent router

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

hobbesmaster posted:

i work for a company with an iot gateway that by default blocks all incoming connections on whatever the wan interface is detected as

guess what the number one question for the gateways is

it's not a question but i bet the number one ticket filed is "it dont work"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/rafalwilinski/status/834772410125733888

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

code signing is cool and good and its good for people to think about it even if its for silly poo poo like a text editor.

it is but you also get things like http://colin.keigher.ca/2014/12/the-joke-behind-signed-sony-malware.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i thought everyone and their brothers used those action replays to play their "imports"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we get it, you vibe

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
SSL certs are such a loving racket.

on the other hand, if i really thought I needed to shell out $2k for a SSL cert from some company and then find out it's losing its trust i'd flip my poo poo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

apseudonym posted:

EV certs do nothing compared to normal certificates. Don't buy them.

of course not. but there's some people who think they need them. they'll be mad still, in this case.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
its funny reading this because i literally just had to re-up my hipaa training for the feds 10 minutes ago

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

is that for cms? did you sign the cms cyber pledge for security??

nah, it was for another agency. i had to do fisma as well, which had a different pledge.

i love how all the agencies have different requirements for this poo poo, and also their own set of NIST modifications which almost universally make things less secure

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
oh jesus the IP to that thing is in one of the videos.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
there's no way that guys not going to jail, unless he's outside the US or something.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
im frantically F5ing until the tweets turn into a "/ ?" page

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

cant wait to throw my money at that company

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
they're chinese, right?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

atomicthumbs posted:

What the gently caress

e17 was a loving unicorn

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
its cool to see all of symantecs failures just lined up like that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/04/09/someone-hacked-every-tornado-siren-in-dallas-it-was-loud/

im the emergency system connected to the internet

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
sirens.stackexchange.com

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
lol @ silverlight in general

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i guess you could always do ssh port forwarding or something

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
well, i am

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i fought really hard to not have tenable's nessus installed in a production environment because of government requirements, to the point where we had to get a special exemption. i dragged my feet until we were allowed to just run nessus on some separate VPC with just some instances of the AMIs we used instead of opening a port to the world so the feds could run their dumb scanning tools.

whenever i get a notice that there's some weird privilege escalation or remote execution exploit that needs to be patched, theres not a smugdog in the world large enough.

total incompetence is pretty standard when dealing with the government, right?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

they've been gradually closing off information sources that could be used for fingerprinting. like, you can no longer get a real UUID for an iphone, the value you can get will be changed if the user does a factory reset or non-unique if the user turned on an extra privacy setting

im almost positive the number is application specific and each app will get a different id.

it will also change if the user uninstalls/reinstalls the app.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
on that note i took on a contract at one point that was porting some win ce (lol) application that sent application-specific commands to users via intercepting SMS (win ce let you do that).

i explained to the old dev that "you cant do that and you also cant get the users phone number from the software"

he responded with: "what do you mean? microsoft has had this functionality for years!"

finally he said "your responsibility is to find out how to circumvent these restrictions, because we cant implement a messaging system in the application itself, it has to be done via sms"

both him and win ce are really loving stupid

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

ive been doing integration w/ them and oh man.

lol i did integration with them as well about 7 years ago and yeah

cant believe they're a thing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

cis autodrag posted:

they are losing market share rapidly. hit is becoming a three horse race between athena, cerner, and epic with the corpses of the other vendors trying to shamble along.

they deserve it. they were terrible and they've been riding on the fact that they got there first and didn't do poo poo afterwards.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
responsible disclosure is so boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

so i've just discovered while transitioning services for a client, that the all-in-one (industry targeted) MSP they were using has their "Zoolz" cloud backup service tied to an employee email address.

the same address is used for multiple customers

you can browse and restore from the other customers data

these customers have massive amounts of PII including medical information for their members

i don't even know where to start with this one

is it a government thing?

• Locked thread