Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheese-cube posted:

can i talk about offshore vessel (oil/LNG drilling/pipelay/construction(surface/subsea)) info/op security? over the last 4 years i've been on a wide variety of offshore vessels with different functions operated by different corps and of differing ages yet they all had the same massive opsec/infosec issues:

security costs money

how much money is the absence of security costing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
same except a 100 year old hunk of rust

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm looking at Symantec CSP for some industrial control stuff and it seems nice in that it brings selinux-like restrictions to windows-applications but it does it through Symantec kernel drivers and it seems like if you're a determined attacker you're just going to go after that privileged surface instead. I'm already doing the patching/emet/applocker/endpoint firewall route and I'm really on the fence if I am gaining anything with this or if there is another way to accomplish it that is less risky. I can always yell at the software vendor to stop running everything at system and start using the OS integrity levels but that is going to take year.'

I dunno, just spitballing.

how is it better than the windows-native mac framework provided by microsoft

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb648648%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anthonypants posted:

https://twitter.com/maybekatz/status/872552185459908608

the npm community's reaction is mostly "oh, that's good, it shows that people are learning!" a few people believe that a repo full of garbage is at best worrying, and at worst would make it harder to find useful modules. that person above got mad at me when i said that their 'eh, works for me' reaction was defeatist and apathetic, because they apparently work for npm. also i learned that npm has employees, somehow.

guys, we did it. we located the worst haircut.

also this is officially the grimdark cyberpunk future. billion dollar companies employ people who choose to resemble shadowrun campaign art, and computer software is distributed casually by idiots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the current source leak is just the microsoft "shared source" distribution -- the poo poo they give to anyone who asks nicely.

i am sure it has already been scrubbed of anything interesting by legal teams.

• Locked thread