Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Hed posted:

Just finished up that Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? from 33c3.

Now I'm wondering if you declare a firearm for checked baggage if that information goes in the PNRs talked about for the booking system or if it's just in the airline's flight information.

what does your heart tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
my wife's hr department got phished and sent the entire company's W2s to someone. tonight I went through the rigamarole of putting freezes on our credit repots.

Experian: pretty nice and straightforward
Equifax: didn't verify my identify beyond name, address, and SSN. also didn't give me a receipt for what I had to pay, but overall not horrible.
TransUnion: requires you to create an account. I had to recover my account I set up like 10 years ago to buy a credit report. when I went to pay for the freeze, they defaulted the credit card number and expiration to the card number I used 10 years ago. like, not the last 4 digits. the full card number. :laffo:

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2017

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nope, I once entered in the wrong ccv for an online purchase and it went through just fine. It was also with my Cap it alOne card which usually is pretty good about inconveniencing alerting me when anything even slightly weird happens.

It seems like 99% of credit card security is purely for show. Ultimately CCs are just a sequence of 16 numbers matched with a name that the user literally carries with them everywhere etched onto a plastic card.

based on my experience with a crappy credit card auth vendor, here's how validation works:

bad card number entered: decline
over your limit: decline
wrong name: decline only for some cards (I think Discover was picky on this)
bad address: accepted, return a status code saying the address is wrong (speedrun tip card companies only care about the house/building number part of your address)
bad zip code: accepted, return a status code saying the zip code is wrong
bad cvv: accepted, return a status code saying the cvv is wrong

the thing is the customer support burden for actually returning an error for bad address/zip/cvv is horrid. we had three customers of my company try turning on zip code checking because they would pay a smaller transaction fee. all three turned it off after a week because their customers were getting pissed that their cards were declined, and then they would get more pissed because it looked like they were charged multiple times when they kept trying different zip codes (they were actually just authorizations and wouldn't be collected, but of course it used up their credit limit and showed up on their statement for about a week).

god I hated dealing with credit cards.

• Locked thread