Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

storing that in the windows registry sounds like something putty would do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

apparently you do that by writing a bad powershell script to dump it out of the registry

welcome to windows

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i also used to work at steadfast and i would have been negromancer's boss if i didn't have the sense to get out of there well before he started

i can post my business card with my useless D-level title if you want but i'm also not as eager to doxx myself so everything will be blacked out

ask me anything I guess? i can tell you that negromancer had to grossly overstep his access and responsibility if he had a shadow of a chance of doing what he said he did, and there's no way he could have done that without chocotaco noticing that a disk just sort of vanished out of a raid array for no reason

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark here but any receipt printer spewing that out is proooooobably not in a PCI compliant configuration

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

since when did a receipt printer need to be pci compliant

when it's connected to a point of sale system, as most receipt printers are?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you could argue that the pos terminal's network is segmented/isolated properly and the printer's is not, but, uh, we're talking about the people who setup networks in hundreds of small businesses as quickly as they can and that's a lot of faith to put in them

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

flosofl posted:

Still missing the point of there is no such thing as a "PCI compliant configuration" for a printer. It's just not a thing.

i was talking about the POS installation as a whole, not just the printer itself

I mean sure a single receipt printer living somewhere not near a register has no requirements

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

you should check out the twitter that was linked a few posts up then because it's actually a guy who's owned pos printers, specifically, and not pos installations as a whole as you seem to believe

there seem to be some register jockeys bemused about their printers spewing weird ascii art so I think some real POS installs might actually be effected!

https://mobile.twitter.com/faithers99/status/827920542007037955?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

can a sata password be bypassed with a logic board swap?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Safari is chrome stable (and also not hot garbage)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

why the gently caress does mackeeper run a blog. do they actually have competent people working on their garbage?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ErIog posted:

tldr: TunnelBlick is HeartBleeding edge software

well seeing that almost all of the updates are to push new builds of OpenSSL you're more correct than you realize

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

xpost, holy loly

incoherent posted:

Please regale me in your stories today of management asking you, personally, to contact Mr. Zon to ask what's up with my butt.

e: classic

so back when i worked for a colocation provider we had a very small POP in manhattan

and then hurricane sandy hit

of course everything went offline and no one could get in because gently caress it's a hurricane and no one is there to let you in

we had some weird guy like standing directly in front of the building screaming at me on the phone about how people were dying because he couldn't get in and get his server. his single-homed, single-instance, mission-critical server.

i'm of course in chicago where we were hq'd and all "welp sucks to be you, i can't do anything"

i think he tried to break in

i would like to think this is the same moron who didn't manage to learn his lesson the first time.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i haven't seen that part of the dump yet, but samsung tvs share an in house linux distro, unless the specific exploit has been patched, pretty much every smart tv using that stack will be vulnerable, and that can span several model years and series

Samsung dumped a bunch of cash on the Enlightenment team for some reason, so you can be assured they're making whatever bad decisions they can when it comes to Linux.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm sure there are plenty of captive portals that return a 200 with a body containing a <meta refresh> tag

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i don't know how anyone tolerates lastpass at all. every time I have to log in I go "oh, right" and spend forever looking for the secret I need

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

my typical experience with lastpass is that i try to log in, get an error about the browser plugin being out of date, try to update the browser plugin and have the installation fail, and then i just bother a coworker to give me the password instead

the solution to that is to uninstall the plugin

of course to download secret files you'll need to use the desktop client which is a whole nother dumpster fire

experience there is usually launch app, log in, the app crashes silently, launch again, vault unlocks without prompting :stare:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/blob/master/upload/install/opencart.sql

i know this is probably the least interesting thing about the dumpsterfire that is opencast but omg MyISAM tables in tyool 2017

for those of you that aren't familiar with mysql's bad decisions pre 5.0 myisam doesn't support transactions

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 26, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

didn't it not have foreign keys or maybe that's all of MySqueal? IDK I use that as a job listing filter so hopefully I'll never have to care about it (again)

yeah FK constraints aren't possible using MyISAM tables either.

both of theses issues are fixed in InnoDB but it's Not Free as MyISAM or at least wasn't until recently I forget

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Perplx posted:

its 100 domains per cert
i thought there was hard limit on subdomains but i was wrong, you can have unlimited subdomains with a rate limit of 2000 a week

https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

yeah I believe that's specifically because they won't sign wildcard CSRs

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

anthonypants posted:

people hated having to be told to use a separate messenger app, even though the main facebook app sucks. if you'd kept the old messenger on the main app but charged for the new messenger app people would've lost their poo poo

I've really liked having messenger separate because i could delete Facebook itself and still chat with it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Eh cord cutting is getting popular esp if you live near a major city, I get about 20 watchable channels (out of 75 I can tune in lol) with a $20 VHF indoor antenna from an hour outside Chicago and just use streaming for everything else

i can see the Sears Tower from my back yard; I can pick up WBBM (CBS) and WTTW (PBS) without even hooking up anything to the F-jack on the back of my TV.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

reverse proxy the tomcat instance and put the cert in the real web server instead of that java trash.

this. gently caress keytool and gently caress tomcat's http server

though since you're on widows you'll probably still need the http server for a reverse proxy as I don't think IIS speaks AJP.

e: if you were running tomcat as a production web server on Linux exposed to the internet you'd still do this because otherwise you'd be running tomcat as root to grab port 443 :nono:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

is keepass so bad that you'd use last pass over it? i find lastpass's garbage user interface more offensive than their terrible security, keepass can't be worse, can it?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

I DON'T CLICK LEARN MORE

learning is for nerds

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i got a 420.69%

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah sarnsung threw a few million dollars at the e17 team a few years back. everyone assumed it was going to go into their smart tvs and such but no one knew why they picked enlightenment.

wikipedia posted:

Version 0.17, also referred to as E17, was in development for 12 years starting in December 2000[6] until 21 December 2012 when it was officially released as stable.

12 years :stare:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I just use iCloud, sorry about your online cloud thinger with a war criminal on the board

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

source your quotes

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it's bad but the fix was backported to the 3 branch back in February 2016, so most systems should be okay

unless you're on the rackspace cloud, though, we found out today that their stock system images that are being bootstrapped today are shipping 2 years out of date kernels :yayclod:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm the progra~1 still used on an NT-lineage os

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dex posted:

worth posting the actual site here too http://www.randomsanity.org/

i definitely trust a http website written by a bitcoin man to verify my crypto has enough crypto in it

i really don't understand how the bitcoin protocol hasn't been completely destroyed yet with morons like this as core devs. it's got to be outright dumb luck.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

HTML

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

as a shorty playing in group policy settings
fell down and i deleted my cipher suite
somebody helped me up and asked me if i deleted my cipher suite
i said "yeah"
so then they said "oh so that mean we gon, you gon switch it on then?"
i said "yeah, fipsmode, fipsmode is the greatest"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it's Saturday he's probably enjoying his weekend before the world burns

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

same thing happened to transmission, a popular bittorrent client for macs, a few years ago

iirc both handbrake and transmission were started by the same dev (hence the car puns); I don't know if they're still maintained by the same teams.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

nice

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have a less than positive opinion of LE technology forensic people from taking junior college classes with them; they have little interest in understanding how any of this poo poo works, just wanna catch bad guys without learning math

and a lot of the software is basically click-through wizards with some extra auditing for proper chain of custody records.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

is that just a false flag to encourage people to add that to their LVM schema and then detect it and ding them for destruction of evidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

maybe im a big dumb idiot but how is "complete, bit-level visibility" something that is at all difficult or requires parsing somehow

actually expecting a cop to bother figuring out the file's signature and loading the appropriate program to parse it? sorry, don't have time for that, got black people to beat up and donuts to eat

• Locked thread