Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

0day poastin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Powaqoatse posted:

i know itd just be fun to have a piece of paper on official intelligence letterhead saying "yea this kid is a goddamned commie and probably smoked weeed"

there used to be a list of adjudication decisions online regarding clearances, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. in your example it would probably be listed as "person has deep and undisclosed ties to groups that have a stated goal of undermining the goverment. was not truthful about past drug use. clearance denied."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol forever at people who think like this

most that I know work for advertising companies and rationalize their own line of work like this so they can pretend that what they do isn't profoundly unethical

see also: people working for "relevant marketing" companies and insisting that what they do isn't advertising at all

i used to get a bunch of stuff for my truck at winn dixie because the prices weren't too different from bulk suppliers considering i rarely need bulk supplies and they had a rewards program where you got a nickel off in gas for every $50 spent. i would never have to pay more than the taxes (1.9¢/gal) when filling up the food truck as a result.

very few people used the program and a lot of fuel perks rotted. the biggest users were store supervisors scanning their own cards when customers did not have them. so they joined up now with plenti. i didn't even make it halfway through the disclosures on all the data they could harvest and share with others and how there was no opt-out provision unless your state prohibited the sharing outright. gently caress that poo poo i'm not tying up my hulu, cell phone, grocery, etc shopping lists into one account for amex to sell so i can get $2 off once a month from a purchase.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

it's the United States Navy probably

in tyool 2012 my last ship still had at least one win2k standalone system and i think they had finally upgraded all the nt stuff to a custom os. they still had xp, ie6 (maybe 7) and an outdated version of firefox on all the workstations.

the shore command was about half upgraded to win7 while a good chunk were still on xp but it had more up to date browsers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Carbon dioxide posted:

With the way bitcoins work, the amount of bitcoins mined per period of time cannot change, I think.

So if you were to kill a majority of bitcoin miners, those who are left over would suddenly get way more bitcoins way faster.

the difficulty would balance out so that the speed would end up around the same (average 10 minutes iirc) after a short burst period, but the thing is they would lock out anyone not using the best asics if they shut off all the antminers outside of the chinese pools.

they can effectively lock out the entire rest of the bitcoin network and they only way to prevent it is to somehow patch and repair the firmware and hope there isn't more hidden backdoors or develop and deploy a par competitor with the current antminers.

china has the entire bitcoin protocol by the balls with this.

• Locked thread