Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tiny brontosaurus is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:agreed: microsoft hell fucker

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MononcQc posted:

This is old stuff (May 2015) but I just stumbled upon it; a fairly informal introduction to how ECC / ECDH / ECDSA works in 4 posts, and that seems to be understandable without being too good at maths:

yeah this looks like my dumb rear end can understand it, thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

geonetix posted:

welcome back thread!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Luigi Thirty posted:

blink twice if you've been replaced with a replicant

:wink:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hackbunny posted:

just my luck, I get out of kitty jail just in time for the thread to be disappeared <:mad:>

italy is currently being rocked by a bizarre scandal of the cyber persuasion. the occhionero siblings, entrepreneurs in the finance sector, freemasons and by all accounts smart people (he's a nuclear engineer, she's a chemistry phd), are found to be conducting a multi-year spearfishing campaign against politicians, entrepreneurs and... other freemasons. their spyware appears to have been entirely developed in-house, and it's been active since at least 2011. kaspersky describes it as "amateurish" but I've gotten my hands on a recent sample and it appears to have been developed by someone who, if not a cybercriminal, has at least an idea of how malware analysis is done and how to slow it down. well, at least the anti-analysis protection and obfuscation was, and I know it's not a commercial framework because the few unobfuscated strings are unique to the malware

on the other hand, the occhionero siblings made huge, gigantic opsec blunders, and I argue that they had outside help with the malware development, because they clearly aren't serious criminals. consider the strongest piece of evidence against them: the malware exfiltrates data by sending e-mails and uses a commercial component to do so, which requires a license code to unlock. not only the malware contains said license code, but italian police asked the fbi for help, the fbi obtained the name of the licensee, and it was the occhionero brother: the guy had virtually embedded his real name in his phishing malware

on the other other hand, when the police came to arrest them, the brother rebooted the bitlocker-encrypted computer and now refuses to provide the password, while the sister locked her smartcard by entering the wrong pin several times. it's not going to help them much because the amount of evidence against them is impressive: they didn't just embed personally identifying information in the malware, they also hosted the c&c server on their company's website, and they talked about their dirty business on regular cleartext phone calls, that the police duly wiretapped

all considered, the campaign wasn't terribly successful. of about 18000 targets, only about 10% are estimated to have been compromised

the motive is still a mystery. insider trading seems to be the current consensus

the malware samples I've seen raise some extremely obvious red flags when run in the simplest of the automated analysis tools, and they're clearly part of a shared lineage dating back years, so it's a little amazing to me that it took so long for it to be noticed

awesome post!

but it does seem that they are "serious criminals" (if guilty) so i dunno what you mean by that one sentence

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gah of course

sorry

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i put the thread in my underwear for a bit, so everyone remember to wash your hands!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also please dont troll negrotown (i hope thats what it was)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goddamn youre amazing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Raere posted:

crosspost from jobs thread:

Is there a market for independent PCI or some other standard auditors/assessors? I think I have the skills and I wonder if I can make more than my salaried job securing and auditing :nsa:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

There's some good stuff in the Mirai source code:

code:
                table_unlock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
                // If path contains ".anime" kill.
                if (util_stristr(realpath, rp_len - 1, table_retrieve_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME, NULL)) != -1)
                {
                    unlink(realpath);
                    kill(pid, 9);
                }
                table_lock_val(TABLE_KILLER_ANIME);
Seems that Mirai was a variant of killallnerds.exe all along.

lmbo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Truga posted:

snowden died in vain https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/25/presidential-executive-order-enhancing-public-safety-interior-united

if you're not a us citizen get your poo poo out of us services. probably if you're us citizen too :v:

well thats kinda the same as before, but explicit, no?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shoulda waited a couple more days w disclosure to make it more embarrasing

but i guess twitter fame

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it may not be worth it to count on a specific av program unless youre going for a specific target

i mean, youre limiting your attack surface if there are zero-days in the OS the av runs on, and probably the top 5 browsers all have bigger marketshare than any given av product too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apseudonym posted:

I've heard rumblings.

AV and security products make great targets because they're highly privileged low quality code. They're absolutely perfect targets if you're doing something targeted and want to be sneaky.

If I wanted to get on your network all sneaky like I'd go for security boxes you've got (firewalls, AV boxes, MitM boxes, etc) first.

yea thats what i mean

since theres basically holes in everything all the time, its better ROI for blackhats to keep av holes secret & sell/use on specific targets to keep them low-key

idk i might just be thinking wrong

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well put :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hed posted:

I need the ability for one person in my company to send PII outside the organization. Right now she encrypts an archive, sends as an email attachment, and calls the other person with the archive password. Other orgs send her encrypted attachments through an external exchange--are any of these not awful?

What service should we use? Bonus if it integrates with Office 365 / Outlook somehow for these people.

send the PII via rfc1097 & go all manchurian candidate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hed posted:

I'm just gonna have her use this Office 365 encrypted portal thing. It would be cool to, in steps, roll out PKI for encryption and then later work on sender verification and yadda yadda but I'll save all that for another day.

I had to look this one up.

me too im just joking around

sorry that nobody cares about your question

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

people are way too stupid to open that attachment

oh my god you work in heaven

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vOv posted:

windows has a javascript dialect that's intended to be used for scripting and has APIs for loving with the registry.

what the hell????

vOv posted:

obviously it doesn't work from the browser

thank god. also, are you sure there's not a weird edge case?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ate all the Oreos posted:

It's not that windows scripting thing, I dug around more and it's a .Net application that basically just opens a window with an embedded WebBrowser control that loads the included HTML pages and lets it access a bunch of system-level objects to play with in javascript land, then it does all the scary installer poo poo directly from within the browser instance because why not.

As far as I can tell it's not downloading and executing any other javascript from the internet so it's probably fine but I didn't actually look into it that far :shrug:

theres a video that i cant find right now with the adobe flash installer where dude just drags a link onto the progress bar, and it just loads the webpage?!; apparently its just a webview

its super hard for me to understand how you can write a native wrapper around your lovely fetch script & then instead of taking the 5 minutes to implement a native progress bar, you make a webview and implement it in idk javascript i guess?

like thats being militantly ignorant. it probably took exactly as long to figure out how to implement a webview as it did how to implement a progress bar

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i guess

just, even from my first coding job, when i got a task id just try to look into other ways of doing it. especially ways that could improve my knowledge or skills.. i mean why not?

i didnt tell my lovely boss, but it just seems weird that absolutely none of them seems to have told whoever contracted out the installer that theyre being an idiot

actually thats the real problem. why is were they using a weird installer instead of just the built-in installer.app? for a while you could just show package contents and the installer .pkg was there so you could skip the lovely UI, but they "fixed" at some point

i think installer.app even lets you put a huge graphic all over the interface, so the only reasons to roll you own is: i want more vulnerabilities and/or i want it to be less idiomatic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

because you presumably like what you do and/or care about doing it well. presumably the people who do not wind up making PUP :v:

well yea i just assumed that there'd be dozens of people on it cause it was lovely for years but changed in subtle ways

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i am indeed calling it what it is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

for the record I call it malware or adware or bloatware or shitware usually but this is funny internet forum and I like the way SMELLS LIKE PUP sounds :colbert:

secondin

what the hell is 3rdparty poo poo doing on anybdys computer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

you just downloaded a bunch of malware good job

that is my job

gently caress else am i gonna do now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eegh

anyway most printer problems are basically somebody chose the wrong format -- yet another symptom of US idiocy.

for future reference: US only (letter) vs the whole world (A4). theyre almost the same size but US paper is dumb and bad and only good for whiping your butt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CommunistPancake posted:

actually, printer paper is bad for wiping your butt

yea thats true. too smooth.... shameful fistbump

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wipe my butt with your mac

not the paper around it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry, just wanted to see if i could shagger to shagger about paper sizes lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

h. Somehow disallow rm -rf for the PostgreSQL data directory? Unsure if this is feasible, or necessary once we have proper backups

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

Because it complains about directories otherwise.

uh thats the -r

-f is force

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

yes, you need rm -f to get rid of the directories otherwise it will complain about there being directories. -r deletes files in subdirectories but will still complain about, like, /usr being a directory

welp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i had to help my sister with a thing a week ago & used teamviewer :ohdear:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

did i gently caress up bigtime?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ok thx :sweatdrop:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phone posted:

what's the thread favorite for a password manager these days?

little notebook next to the computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ugh some dumbass kid keeps setting up game accounts with my email

im changing their passwords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol i've had the same bozo trying to sign up a 2k sports account with one of my gmails for weeks now

i already killed someone's hollister club cali account for the same crime

its weird how many people apparently dont know their own email address

• Locked thread