Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hackbunny posted:

why wouldn't you just download the official iso. did you know? if you don't activate windows 10, a few features are locked out but it mostly works?

the torrent is probably advertised as activation cracked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

i'm still trying to get my coworkers to stop using filezilla

FileZilla is pretty good so idk why you'd do this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have been using linux subsystem for windowsBETA for ssh clienting. for sftp I use filezilla

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

it's great if you want a tool that doesn't update itself effectively and has zero integration into AD

why would it need integration into AD? also it checks for updates every time you launch it.

OSI bean dip posted:

never mind the fact that ftp is a garbage protocol

it does more than just ftp.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or are you talking about FileZilla server? cause yeah i wouldn't use that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can you even use NTLM or kerb for ftp or sftp auth?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

yes. this is likely what atomicthumbs is talking about

I'm pretty sure in this discussion of ssh clients he was talking about FileZilla in a client context.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

*does a doubletake at shaggar not wanting something integrated with AD*

the client wouldn't be able to use it since (afaik) there are no ways to do ad based auth to the file server protocols FileZilla supports

no its not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chestnut santabag posted:

just one hit and youre hooked...

my favorite thing is ssh-copy-id root@[servername]

i do need to get around to disabling sudo on the lxss tho. that poo poo is annoying and worthless.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i feel very protected that the evil hackers wont think to put sudo before any commands i type. I'm protected for sure!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there was a period of time when sourceforge got owned and everything was injected with adware. but that's what you get for using open sores.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

was it actually a malicious attack? I thought they just sold out

I think both happened. sourceforge is not very good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
godaddy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

its a tsa lock so its not gonna work to begin with. Might as well make it easy for the user if security isn't possible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you put locks on your bag and they are not TSA the TSA will cut them off but yeah they're useless either way cause of 100 reasons. the only way to secure checked baggage is to get a hard case with a good lock and transport firearms in it along w/ everything else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a backhoe once took out the major phone related fiber Verizon had between Mass and Maine so most of the pstn in maine and parts of NH was down for like 13 hrs cause when they spliced it the first time they did it backwards.

backhoes need to be stopped.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho technically I think the fiber was owned by rcn so the backwards splicing was their gently caress up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qntm posted:

well. I like how

apparently the power company doesn't know about outages until someone proactively notifies them??

they'll see the drop off but a lot of the times they don't know where exactly the cut is so they rely pretty heavily on user reporting to narrow things down

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

i look forward to living in a country where power outages are rare because infrastructure is maintained

but i'm already there

good maintenance doesn't stop some idiot in a pickup from running off the road in a snow storm into your gear.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
stuxnet was so cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the best part was how absolutely none of the other vendors took it seriously for years because "we're not seimens why should we care"

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my bro was telling me about some of the PLCs at a plant he was managing and he was telling me they have a separate internet connection (DSL, lol) for letting the vendor on to do work. It didn't occur to him that leaving this open all the time was a bad idea cause he didn't realize that theres effectively no security on the PLCs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What should they use instead? openldap? NIS+?

Azure AD

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Isn't there a limit to the number AD users and groups?

theoretically theres no limit to objects you can store, but there are limits around SID generation for new objects on a per domain controller level.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
My guess would be they'd be using ADFS and not direct ldap authentication to AD since it would be far more flexible. Azure AD would be a better choice since it has a lot of hardening and handles password resets and the like.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
assuming 30mil users 180mil/mo for p1, 270mil/mo for p2 @ retail prices so probably less for enterprise agreement pricing.

if you're actually gonna have people in there and using it all the time then it makes sense, otherwise self hosting would probably be cheaper.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I imagine they would be offered quite the discount for something like that.

enterprise agreements that anyone can get are like 30% off for a 1 year sub so I would bet Microsoft would be willing to give them something even better to be able to brag about hosting the identity management for the worlds largest prison.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well the majority of the criminals are on the main island so I think it still stands.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
part of me wishes the US would standardize national identity management, but the other part knows they'd just gently caress it up horribly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imagine if they tried to upsell them on Office 365 for everyone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its the worst. theres so much good that could come out of the federal government but its doomed to eternal failure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Also while Azure AD would be a decent choice, price concerns notwithstanding, Australian citizens might object to hosting their PII in the US or on systems possibly controlled by a US company under the Patriot Act.

Although Australia being a FVEYE member that might be less of an issue.

e: I know the average EU citizen would probably flip their poo poo about hosting their government PII in the US. (Even though most of them share everything anyway through social media.)

My guess would be that it would be hosted in Australia with the US zones as backup. they could probably negotiate for aus only hosting if they really wanted.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and idk about Australians, but Id be more worried about my government hosting it than Microsoft.

my state's tax filing system stores passwords in reversible (probably plaintext) form

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao it doesn't even warn you that it might not be starting a meeting.

the correct solution is to sign and verify whatever the meeting package is so you don't have some goofy url based filtering at all.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
did cisco say that it was a temporary fix until they came out with a real one? cause if that's what happened then it would make sense to give them the full timeline since their intention is a real fix.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fuckin cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the licensed mail library is so loving weird

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - If path contains ".anime" kill

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my antivirus anecdote is sometimes it catches and quarantines ancient Trojans that people download on work machines that would have successfully run otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. like you had any recourse against the government when it was "illegal"

• Locked thread