Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudorandom name posted:

wasn't there a brief period of time where you straight up
couldn't download the windows ISO from Microsoft?

yeah because there was a bug in the new iso they'd put up, but they didn't want to put back up the outdated iso. so it was just not availalbe until they got a newer version up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ohgodwhat posted:

Relatively tame but this guy's not off to a good start:
http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/147216/hacker-used-picture-upload-to-get-php-code-into-my-site

Roughly, "I don't know how this hacker is getting PHP files past my client side validation!"

my favorite part is that the line he uses to get a random filename for uploads doesn't seem to check if the number/name is already in use -presumably resulting in overwriting an existing file if the random numbers happen to be come out the same. so even if the rest of the stuff wasn't insecure garbage, his upload facility would be unreliable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

idk maybe, there's different roku versions and i know my mom has a cheaper, older one so maybe it's significantly more locked down than the "nice" ones? idk i just remember it having barely anything besides major services and angry birds for some reason.

older/cheaper rokus (the cheaper rokus often being the old hardware packaged in a newer case) are too slow or missing codec support to handle all the services the newer/more expensive rokus do. so they only get access to a limited subset of the choices.

if you really wanted to, you can force in access with some weird hack poo poo, since some of the channels do actually work even though Roku themselves won't support them on the older/cheaper device. but that's a bunch of hassle

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

I distinctly remember something about SA keeping around CC information as a unique identifier to make sure people wouldn't be able to get around permabans.

fistgrrl and one other admin back in the day would manually add user accounts when credit card transactions went through, so would have some level of insight on the payment method (don't think it was really the credit card number though, probably just names and addresses if anything). that was a long rear end time ago and there's been several different payment systems in use since then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

every single one of the claims made against trump is completely unverifiable, and buzzfeed believes that journalism means publishing every claim so that the american people can figure out what's real and what's not by themselves. everything in those highlighted printouts is bullshit, and you would be a humongous gullible idiot for taking any of those claims seriously.

counterpoint: trump is mama's little pissboy and loves to drinkos the peepee

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
trump loves piss lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

depends what you mean by 'advanced', radiotherapy and common chemo drugs have been around for ages so if you can get a relatively modern (i.e. not raw cobalt source or whatever they used to use) linear accelerator you're basically up to date with the rest of the world and then it's technique not technology for most common cancers.

yeah they're not doing anything special there

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Pinball Wizard posted:

are there any non poo poo consumer wifi routers?

get a NETGEAR AC1750

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

has anyone done a wireshark of a Windows 10 installation?

that poo poo must light up like a Christmas tr even before you get to the opt out section

well duh, it checks for and downloads updates to the installer and other drivers as soon as you get the network up, let alone the other stuff

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

Looking forward to the power company jumping into action every time my router goes down.

it doesnt use your router, the proposed connection method is a variant of the tech used for wireless mesh networking on smart electric/water meters

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ymgve posted:

I totally trust that the general populace that have stoves that flash 12:00 is able to configure their washer with the right address just so it can report when the power goes out

you wouldn't be configuring it, the utility would be installing the device.

just like you don't configure your own smart electricity meter or water meter or whatever. utility's property.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

People have utilities provide and install their washing machines?

it's not the washing machine ya moron, it's specifically an additional device that gets connected to the washing machine, and needs to be configured for a specific utility company network

also, the devices aren't available yet, and might not be available for a long time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

Wait, if my electricity company is installing something in my house designed to monitor whether or not the electricity is working, why are they plugging it into my washing machine?

the idea of it is that it would be plugged into all major appliances. there would also be provision for signing up to have controls like some utilities have to reduce a/c use or similar things at times of peak demand, which are already in place.

it's all meant to be part of this: https://www.smartgrid.gov/

the purpose of this appliance not building the actual interface in, is so that they don't have to worry about not meeting the standards whenever those standards finally get agreed on by the utilities and other manufacturers - and that might easily take a decade or more to happen.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

So it's not plugged into my washing machine in order to do anything with power cuts at all but rather so the power company can remotely turn off my washing machine if too many other people are boiling the kettle?

no, it would also do things like report on localized blackouts and especially localized brownouts, as well as possibly being controllable to either keep it off at times of peak load, or to be set to only run at times of lowest load, or to implement various delays or alternate modes of operation to reduce power draw a bit.

it's all in all similar to the sophisticated control agreements that major industrial and commercial electricity consumers have with their power utilities, that can allow for significantly changing their power draw from the grid to help with stabilizing it without the utility needing to turn on peaking power so often. it doesn't do much for the grid when it's just one household and one device, but when you start getting spread among thousands or millions you can start shifting a lot of energy use

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

Genuinely still not seeing how the washing machine's ethernet port has anything to do with a smart meter being able to detect powercuts. The smart meter is already plugged directly into the power supply, surely? Why does the washing machine having an ethernet port help in any way?

it's literally not an ethernet port, it just has the same shape. it's some sort of serial port that you connect up to a device that actually interfaces with the smart meter and through that the utility's network.

the connection allows for optional controls that help change power load. again, the idea behind it is that you'd eventually have all your appliances hooked up to it including hvac, but even only having one or two appliances controllable, across a bunch of households, could be useful to the utility company.

for power saving on clothes washer, you'd probably be able to set it so it waits to go into a spin cycle at times of peak load or something. after all, just letting the clothes soak for a little bit longer isn't going to hurt anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

In that case the "What Is The Ethernet Port For On The Back Of The WF457ARGSWR/A2 Front Load Washer?" page is getting a resounding "no" to the "was this content helpful?" question.

it just looks like an ethernet port, there isn't any ethernet functionality. but someone trying to find out what it's for is going to assume it's an ethernet port, so that's why it's in the page title

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

someone else's washer wouldn't be using power if it wasn't full of clothes though, if the point is to save power you'd want to kill the things using the most power, like during the spin cycle, or someone using the dryer, etc.

you would simply delay moving between phases of the wash cycle for instance, or with a dryer you might tell it to use a lower heat mode for a little bit longer to take the edge off the power usage. most people aren't going to particularly notice or care that their overall wash cycle has a chance of taking 10-15 minutes longer.

you're aiming to add up a couple watts here and a 100 watts there across a whole region until you're succesfully reducing local grid load by kilowatts or megawatts, which can be enough to not need to start up a peaker plant

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

It just all rather feels like things I'd like to keep control of. A couple of hours delay in some of these things could be really inconvenient and I'm struggling to think of an appliance that I wouldn't want control over when it runs.

how much do you really care about, say, the precise times your fridge's compressor runs (or for that matter, if it was allowed to get a degree or two warmer at peak times while still saying within the safe range for food storage)? how much would you really care if your water heater was turned down from 130 F to 120 F temporarily?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chalks posted:

Like with spin cycle getting delayed for 15 mins little adjustments like that probably aren't much of a big deal, but that goes both ways. What percentage of my house hold electricity bill are you actually shifting around by doing this? 0.1% of my weekly usage adjusted by 15 mins feels rather minor.

Also if the electricity company decides that my water should heat up more slowly than it already does then they can eat a bag of dicks because I already get pissed off with how slow it is and at the moment I only have inanimate objects and the laws of physics to direct my anger at.

you only need to shave off or delay small amounts of power in a bunch of homes, to end up not needing to spin up peak-load-only natural gas turbine #459 on the network, and that saves the utility tens of thousands of dollars a week.

maybe you should buy a new water heater if your current one's all hosed up and doesn't heat up properly? you'd need one anyway, to take advantage of the system.

they add up to a ton if every single customer does them, which will never actually happen because i'm pretty sure 90% of american households can't afford or don't give a gently caress about ~smart appliances~ anyway

bruh, the utility companies would be giving out rebates and poo poo to do it. they already do this to get people to replace old fridges and hvac systems and other big power/gas draws with newer and more efficient ones, they already did it a lot to get people off incandescents to cfls and leds. the amount of money they spend on those rebates and subsidies is pennies compared to keeping whole power plants that cost tons of money offline as much as possible.

all that has to happen is that instead of providing discounts on generic new appliance, it's generic new appliance with the control thingy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bruh offering $50 off a $500 appliance will not get people to suddenly upgrade their appliances that have worked fine for 10 years, assuming people know about the rebate in the first place

except they do. people do upgrade their appliances fairly often, across the customer base of a large utility. and getting an offer of a rebate (or in some cases, especially hvac systems, payment towards costs of install as well as a rebate and ongoing monthly bill price cuts) is enough to push people to do it earlier.

you don't everyone to do it in a single year or whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

invision posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread: IoT webcams suck, IoT dryers are totally cool though

they're not internet devices at all, let alone internet of things devices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wheany posted:

on one had, we could separate these two components for security purposes. on the other we could combine them and save fractions of a penny per device.

the appliance that brought this up literally has the communication component separate from the appliance itself, using an external port to communicate to it.

Boiled Water posted:

It could very well be RJ45 for data collection or fault finding. I've seen a number of, granted scientific equipment, which comes with RJ45 so you can collect the data. Don't know if it's a two way street though.

the port's explicitly for a to-be-developed external device to connect it to a smart grid system.

if you wanted to, you could probably rig some sort of homebrew testing and control thing to work with it, i guess though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiohazrD posted:

eBay still lets you embed flash content into your listings apparently, so how about some auto downloading malware that makes it look like the official apple website

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350983607686?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the shutoff date for active content in ebay listings is still over the course of may-june 2017, just like they announced at the beginning of last year

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Supposedly the NSA's big bajillion dollar data center has a ton of bandwidth and a supercomputer attached so it probably could idk

That'd all be coming off a few particular routes though, and thus be easy to block off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Salt Fish posted:

With all that we know about NSA's hardware and software capabilities this is a super naive assumption. It's extremely likely that there are entire IoT botnets out there that have compromised control servers ready to be used by a variety of nation states. I would bet both of my testicles against a sandwich that at least 3 nation states have enough ddos capacity to take out the root nameservers.

Part of what makes the NSA's capabilities so big is that they have way more stuff than just that Utah data center he mentioned. That's why the Utah datacenter would be of little use in attempting to run any sort of denial of service.

They don't have any magic hardware that would make using just their one big data center particularly useful for denial of service, or really even using it as part of a wider attack.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Salt Fish posted:

The idea that the US government would conduct cyber warfare from only it's own assigned arin registered addresses is so ridiculous that I'm having trouble even processing that someone could believe that.

uh dude, that's exactly the sort of poo poo he was suggesting, by using the utah data center. and why i said "no, that wouldnt really work"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

i'm suggesting it because i was specifically responding to:

the point of doing a ddos is that you do it from all over the place to try to make it hard for your target to avoid.

the utah data center is pretty useless for that, having a bunch of storage and processing power doesn't do anything to improve effectiveness versus taking over 50,000 lightbulbs and 1 million unpatched windows xp installs in china and russia. and obviously the nsa or whoever has access to those sorts of botnets and/or can take some of them over with short notice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/travel/united-grounds-domestic-flights-because-of-it-issue/index.html?adkey=bn

not copying the article because there's literally no other useful info

bets on it being

a) cryptolockered servers

b) someone hosed around with that exploit of the booking system that let you change reservations

c) ddos

d) Russian hacking

e) node.js comedy option

f) data center caught on fire like delta or whoever's did

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

plus if microsoft can get them to build a datacenter in aus, or get the government to give them huge waivers on taxes/whatever for that datacenter, it will be a win for microsoft

would also be a great way to pivot into getting way higher priority on any future government contracts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i didn't realise they kept the gateways active after throwing poo poo at a wall

why wouldn't they keep them up. they're paying for a shortcode ( 40404 ) after all

tumblr still lets you make posts by calling them at 1-866-584-6757 (it makes it an audio post) and that's way more complicated

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

how many bits are ascii characters encoded with

the GSM 7 bit character set for SMS is not the same as the ASCII 7 bit character set

the basic 26 english letters stay in the same places, as does some punctuation, but others move and most of the control codes get fully replaced by symbols of some sort or are shifted about

there's also the need to use various combinations with the escape code to represent more needed characters for certain languages or punctuation

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redleader posted:

ah yes, for when i need to manually measure out my own pages from a larger sheet

i mean "manually making a small piece out of a large sheet" is the only reason a4 and the rest of that series of sizes exists so

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

lol. a us judge just nuked the global market for cloud services from us based companies

turns out having local data centers can't save you from the us drinking your data through a straw.

lol as if they're not going to do it anyway no matter where you're located, if they can get the flimsiest reason to care about you. especially if you do your alternate hosting in any of the explicit spying ally countries of the us.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the grey forum sure is mad that firefox is getting rid of the older more insecure extension framework. how will they get a "sane" tabs-under-url ui without classic theme restorer?

It's pretty weird how mad you are where other people's ui elements are located

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cheese-cube posted:

NPAPI support : firefox :: register_globals : PHP

npapi support is already dropped in 64 bit firefox for everything but flash, also, extensions arent implemented through the npapi

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pr0zac posted:

i'm kinda confused what exactly the point you're trying to make is?

like sure, for 99% of attack scenarios for 99% of people a SATA password is probably perfectly secure, this has nothing to do with it requiring NSA level ability to circumvent, simply that its usually just not worth the trouble for most people's data

its definitely not as secure as FDE though, even if that fact is only being demonstrated theoretically, and using FDE isn't any more of a hassle so I don't really understand what you're making a stand about?

the point was originally that sata passwords are probably good enough for people running windows home user editions, which do not come with bitlocker FDE, and who do not want to have to rely on third party FDE.

any important machine would of course at least have a pro edition, and thus have bitlocker built in, negating a need to bother with sata passwords.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rjmccall posted:

his website has a rant about it, basically he's angry that their bug bounty doesn't cover ie

i for one am shocked that microsoft isn't actively patching their officially deprecated browser

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

i thought it was less meant to be alarming, more to be like "lol look at everyone trying to do it all of a sudden and then realizing they can't afford it"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

it is a hell of a lot easier to keep the barn door closed in the first place than have to do forensic work to track the horse down.

I can understand missing the laptop reformatting but a manager at a highly confidential R&D lab quitting with zero notice probably should have triggered some sort of review.

well here's the thing: it's a relatively minor project to google as a whole, and google only had reason to start caring once the guy's startup actually started to get a bunch of money and bought out by a juicy target with even more money.

he could just have easily not really attracted any interest and his company slowly die off, and there'd be nothing in it for google to get after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

weird how no longer manufacturing your own servers means your vendor might be lovely.

• Locked thread