Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carew
Jun 22, 2006
4 female characters out of 27. Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Really bizarre to have Rocket and Gamora but no StarLord

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
:yikes:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Wow that lineup is disappointing as gently caress.

Guess I'll track down a copy of Children of the Atom and run it in dosbox instead

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hexenritter posted:

Wow that lineup is disappointing as gently caress.

Guess I'll track down a copy of Children of the Atom and run it in dosbox instead

its on fightcade??? i play it on there :]

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zand posted:

its on fightcade??? i play it on there :]

It is?? Woo! Thank you for this wonderful news.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's not nearly enough slay queen or inhuman characters on the Marvel side for this to be believable.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Carew posted:

4 female characters out of 27. Really?

Yeah that leak is fake without a doubt.

I look forward to eating my words though in a few months.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Surprised Daredevil isn't on there

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

List can't be real. Not nearly enough waifus

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Yeah that leak is fake without a doubt.

I look forward to eating my words though in a few months.

wasn't it literally leaked by the Ryce guy who was spot-on about the existence of MvCI in the first place though

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

wasn't it literally leaked by the Ryce guy who was spot-on about the existence of MvCI in the first place though

I think so but I just can't go with 4 waifu!

Edit: so 85% of the roster is male. What was it in UMvC3? I don't truly care and I wouldn't be surprised because Capcom, but with the way these games are nowadays, shouldn't they think "we need to not only have 4 female characters?"

I'm so sorry to open this can of worms. It's curiosity at this point.

ICR fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 31, 2017

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

jedah owns tho

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 31, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Edit: so 85% of the roster is male. What was it in UMvC3? I don't truly care and I wouldn't be surprised because Capcom, but with the way these games are nowadays, shouldn't they think "we need to not only have 4 female characters?"

this isnt hellthread dude :v:

nobody not loving retarded cares

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 31, 2017

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

The entire Marvel side of the roster in UMvC3 had 4 female characters. 3 of them were X-Men characters.

Exactly how many non X-Men female Marvel characters are both interesting and recognizable enough to warrant a spot on the roster?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

13/50, 9/25 for Capcom and 4/25 for Marvel.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Hell, I'm surprised Gamora made it in before Black Widow.

Alice Liddell
Sep 14, 2004

I want to forget!
Who would choose to be alone, imprisoned by their broken memories?
No Spider-Gwen no buy

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

The entire Marvel side of the roster in UMvC3 had 4 female characters. 3 of them were X-Men characters.

Exactly how many non X-Men female Marvel characters are both interesting and recognizable enough to warrant a spot on the roster?

Drop Hulk, add She-Hulk

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

They're not particularly interesting, but there are a whole bunch of female versions of male characters (Thor, Wolverine, Spider-Man) that Marvel has been pushing lately.

Honestly, the biggest red flag that this is probably fake is that Ms. Marvel isn't included. She's among Marvel's few successes over the past few years and they've been putting her in everything it feels like.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
You do know that it is only the default roster, right?

Kamala Khan will prob be unlockable b/c she won't be important to the main story, which is what the default roster is based on.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you mean DLC or unlockable like you get her after story mode?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Shiki Dan posted:

That's been a problem for Marvel for years. If you want female Marvel characters and you exclude the X-Men and Susan Richards, you're down to a relative handful. Even so, you'd think they'd have added Quake or Black Widow.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Black Widow seems like a no brainer, especially with the focus on the cinematic characters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fadam posted:

Black Widow seems like a no brainer, especially with the focus on the cinematic characters.

Is there any reason Capcom would be permitted to use some actors' likenesses but not others?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shiki Dan posted:

Spider-Gwen
Invisible Girl
Ms. Marvel (Danvers or Kamala)
She-Hulk
Wasp
Black Widow
Squirrel Girl
Jessica Jones
Medusa

There's also a supposed Runaways series that they could mine some faces from:
Molly Hayes / Nico Minoru / Arsenic & Old Lace
(Molly would be a fun Roll type character, A&OL would just be an awesome teamup character like Rocket/Groot. loving raptor attacks and poo poo)

I feel like no one was really quibbling over the mass market appeal of Doc Strange, Rocket, Deadpool or Taskmaster when MvsC3 released. So arguing that a female character needs to be both "interesting" and "recognizable" to earn a spot on the roster just seems like dumb guy internet posting.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there any reason Capcom would be permitted to use some actors' likenesses but not others?

Even if there is, couldn't they just make her look a little different? It's not like Black Widow is a very visually distinctive character other than being a hot chick with red hair.

FilthyImp posted:

Spider-Gwen
Invisible Girl
Ms. Marvel (Danvers or Kamala)
She-Hulk
Wasp
Black Widow
Squirrel Girl
Jessica Jones
Medusa

There's also a supposed Runaways series that they could mine some faces from:
Molly Hayes / Nico Minoru / Arsenic & Old Lace
(Molly would be a fun Roll type character, A&OL would just be an awesome teamup character like Rocket/Groot. loving raptor attacks and poo poo)

I feel like no one was really quibbling over the mass market appeal of Doc Strange, Rocket, Deadpool or Taskmaster when MvsC3 released. So arguing that a female character needs to be both "interesting" and "recognizable" to earn a spot on the roster just seems like dumb guy internet posting.

lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2017

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So basically it's par for the course. Welp, that answers that then. Carry on.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Even if there is, couldn't they just make her look a little different? It's not like Black Widow is a very visually distinctive character other than being a hot chick with red hair.

lol

I mean, why wouldn't they just...I don't know, make her look like she does in the comics? Where are we getting that actor likeness even plays a role? In the trailer, Cap looks like comic book Cap, Hulk looks like comic book Hulk, and Danvers looks like comic book Danvers. It'd be the same for Widow.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

I mean, why wouldn't they just...I don't know, make her look like she does in the comics? Where are we getting that actor likeness even plays a role? In the trailer, Cap looks like comic book Cap, Hulk looks like comic book Hulk, and Danvers looks like comic book Danvers. It'd be the same for Widow.

I don't disagree. There has to be some reason behind not including her in a game that is focusing on the cinematic universe and only has like 4 female characters in it, but idk what it is. Before this leak I would have put money on her being in.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

I don't disagree. There has to be some reason behind not including her in a game that is focusing on the cinematic universe and only has like 4 female characters in it, but idk what it is. Before this leak I would have put money on her being in.

Wasn't there a big deal about Marvel not making Black Widow toys, too? It seems like someone has it out for the character. Then again, like everyone else has posited, perhaps people like her too much, relegating her to DLC to guarantee people spend more money.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

So many holdovers that probably look exactly like and have the same move sets as their umvc3 counterparts. Sad!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Xeremides posted:

Wasn't there a big deal about Marvel not making Black Widow toys, too? It seems like someone has it out for the character.

It's not the character, it was her gender. There used to be a deeply conservative old guard in charge at Marvel Studios that were big into specifically gender-targeted markets, and they considered Marvel tie-in products to be a boys' market. For a while, licensed products for Marvel just kind of pretended MCU Black Widow didn't exist.

The guy who was apparently most responsible for that, Isaac Perlmutter, isn't overseeing Marvel Studios anymore, so there's been some forward motion on that. You can probably trace a lot of the most risk-adverse practices at Marvel back to Perlmutter, who's a notorious penny-pincher; reportedly, he used to obsess over people in the Marvel offices wasting paper clips.

With MVCI, it's hard to say what their justification is. I can see them nixing Black Widow on the basis that she'd be replicating a lot of what Chris and Chun-Li bring to the table already, but just within the MCU there's probably a half-dozen other characters who'd work just fine. MCU Scarlet Witch is, if anything, better-suited to a fighting game than her comics equivalent.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It's not the character, it was her gender. There used to be a deeply conservative old guard in charge at Marvel Studios that were big into specifically gender-targeted markets, and they considered Marvel tie-in products to be a boys' market. For a while, licensed products for Marvel just kind of pretended MCU Black Widow didn't exist.

The guy who was apparently most responsible for that, Isaac Perlmutter, isn't overseeing Marvel Studios anymore, so there's been some forward motion on that. You can probably trace a lot of the most risk-adverse practices at Marvel back to Perlmutter, who's a notorious penny-pincher; reportedly, he used to obsess over people in the Marvel offices wasting paper clips.

With MVCI, it's hard to say what their justification is. I can see them nixing Black Widow on the basis that she'd be replicating a lot of what Chris and Chun-Li bring to the table already, but just within the MCU there's probably a half-dozen other characters who'd work just fine. MCU Scarlet Witch is, if anything, better-suited to a fighting game than her comics equivalent.

I mean, it could have been her gender, but they've been pushing Danvers hardcore for the last few years. I used to actually really like her but they decided she needed to be a flagship character, and put her in absolutely everything. Then they decided who she was wasn't good enough as is, so they completely and utterly destroyed her as a character (especially after Civil War 2).

And now she's headlining a MvC game, and getting her own movie.

Meanwhile, Black Widow is nowhere to be seen. She isn't in game, and she still isn't getting her own movie. Wonder Woman beat her to the cinema, and now Danvers is beating her to the cinema.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Black Widow's the most egregious cut since she's one of the core Avengers 6 from the movies (and the only woman) and all you'd have to do is swap Jill's head from MVC3 and you'd have another cut 'n' paste character that they're relying on so much.

No wonder the guy who does Monster Hunter tries to keep his poo poo separate from the rest of Capcom he's the only one there who has a clue what the gently caress he's doing.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The lack of female characters and the lack of villains blows my mind. A lot of the picks seem like either no-brainers or just boring pulls without any cool surprises. The worst part, though, is how many missing faces there are.

Who would pick Chris over Wesker/Leon for a Resident Evil slot? Why Nemesis instead of Jack Baker? Why two Ghosts and Goblins reps when that series hasn't had an installment since the SNES? Where are Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, Ameterasu, Frank West, Gene, or Asura? Then on the Marvel side, where are Black Widow, Black Panther, Loki, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Spider Gwen, Daredevil or Wasp?

This roster is really weak and I'm scratching my head over it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Xeremides posted:

I mean, it could have been her gender, but they've been pushing Danvers hardcore for the last few years. I used to actually really like her but they decided she needed to be a flagship character, and put her in absolutely everything. Then they decided who she was wasn't good enough as is, so they completely and utterly destroyed her as a character (especially after Civil War 2).

Yeah, Danvers is getting a wholly inorganic push. There are probably a lot of reasons for it, but at the end of the day, it's because literally all the female flagship characters at Marvel who are worth talking about are either on the X-Men or are Susan Richards. They needed somebody they still owned the rights to, and Carol was what they had. There are a fair few decent characters on the Avengers besides her, but they tend to be non-powered (Widow, Mockingbird), low-powered (Wasp), obscure as all hell (Firebird, Firestar, Quake before "Agents of SHIELD"), or have lots of truly unfortunate character baggage (Scarlet Witch, Jocasta).

The bitch of it is that she's not a bad character at all, but they aren't letting her be as complicated as she used to be. Carol's an alcoholic, she's got a terrible temper, and she used to have a pretty bone-deep cynicism because her brother died in Vietnam. It's difficult to imagine '70s/'80s Carol ever wanting to so much as work for Alpha Flight, let alone command it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Wanderer posted:

The bitch of it is that she's not a bad character at all, but they aren't letting her be as complicated as she used to be. Carol's an alcoholic, she's got a terrible temper, and she used to have a pretty bone-deep cynicism because her brother died in Vietnam. It's difficult to imagine '70s/'80s Carol ever wanting to so much as work for Alpha Flight, let alone command it.

i feel like the whole alcoholic thing didnt come along until Busiek's run on Avengers

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Suspicious Cook posted:

This roster is really weak and I'm scratching my head over it.
DLC up the rear end is the only thing I can think of. SFV's whole market/transaction model was DoA because they couldn't code a store for their lives. If they can get 3-4 DLC packs out with a few characters each go, you might have a worthwhile game.

Platformify the game. Make it a frontend for a bunch of DLC that players will want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Race Realists posted:

i feel like the whole alcoholic thing didnt come along until Busiek's run on Avengers

According to Wiki, that's correct. That said, she was kind of whatever (to me) until around that time, so I've always seen it, and her recovery, as an integral part of her characterization.

• Locked thread