Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like the handful of Marvel comics I read just fine but I can't imagine a company I'm less interested in seeing fighting game characters from than Modern Marvel lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You're right, I don't know how Fem Thor will play. I do know I'd rather have the cool Thor instead. Kamala could be cool, though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ2Hsig12h8

Telltale presents Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

which Inhuman are you guys looking forward to most?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Good, honestly it was pretty toxic and anti-fun with no counterplay to expect players to have to learn basic inputs to execute their moves.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The thing about DP motions is that they're unintuitive. A new player watching Ryu do a dragon punch won't be able to immediately "grok" how to do it, and that's problematic from a design standpoint.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's a good thing that they're streamlining the controls. Making people spend six hundred dollars on a hitbox or fight stick to be competitive is problematic because it disadvantages people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Injustass 2 is going to save fighting games.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat dude it's bad rear end as hell how you're not mad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I want them to add all the new minority versions of their characters instead of the legacy versions just to see how people react.

I'd love Black Panther and Silver Surfer.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MvC3 She-Hulk was so cool.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Didn't look too bad imo. At least it didn't look like SFxT this time lmao. I could see myself playing and having fun with this game if the controls aren't completely retarded.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As low rent and mobile-quality as the graphics in this look I still prefer this bombastic style to how plodding IJ2 looks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cabbagepots posted:

They both look exactly the same.

how about no, scott

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

10. The control scheme moves away from Marvel Vs. Capcom 3’s three-attacks-plus-launcher button layout and instead has four attack buttons (light and heavy punches and kicks), as well as one button apiece for swapping characters and Infinity Stones.

That's cool.

20. The build we played replaced several uppercut motions for special moves with two downward taps. It’s not final yet, but the team likes the way it makes moves easier to perform.

thinkingemoji

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I can't believe the Switch is getting the best fighting game of 2017

yeah I can't wait for Arms either

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Apparently I missed in that Game Informer article that push blocking projectiles reflects them and apparently Ryu still has the normal DP motion.

IDK, the gameplay footage doesn't look too, too bad and gems seem a lot more interesting than I thought they were going to be. If I were a betting man I'd bet on it being lovely just because of Capcom's recent track record but I'll wait until people who aren't videogame journalists have played it before writing it off as trash for bloggers or whatever.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 27, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

You're basically saying that other peoples' opinions are responsible for the way these ganes are developing, but those peoples' opinions are wrong because they're "bads." So casual players' opinions are automatically bad/wrong? But you also say that an active competitive scene also is not an indicator of a good game. So if casuals' opinions can't be trusted as far as future game design, and competitive players' opinions aren't indicative of a good game, then what exactly are you looking for?

e: also that Daigo parry video is pretty sweet, I'm not sure why good parry timing is a bad thing to highlight for people :shrug:

The problem is that with very, VERY few exceptions there literally hasn't been a single game ever that's been advertised as "made easier for new/casual players to get into" that hasn't been lovely.

The idea that there's this huge market of people that are willing to put tons of money and time into a game but they won't because the mechanics are too hard or whatever is bullshit, so for the past like five or six years companies have just been dumbing their games down and actively making them worse for literally zero return.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 27, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

This might be true for fighting games so far, but I can guarantee you that there's a poo poo load of evidence out there for making games 'easier' (meaning more accessible) being the path to making buttloads of money.

Look at genre defining games like WoW, CoD4 or LoL and then look at the titles in that genre previously.

I can't speak to CoD but while they might be simplified compared to their predecessors, LoL and WoW are still fairly complex games. League is a dumbed down DotA but it still has like a billion different heroes that can be built in a bunch of different ways and talent trees and items etc. I don't like it and I have literally zero desire to play it but its a good example of how a game doesn't have to be dumbed down to idiot baby level to be successful.

EDIT: DotA 2 and CS:GO have more people playing and make more money than most games and they're both really hard to learn. I'm not sure what the secret to making a game successful and popular is, but the idea that complicated games can't make money is lmao.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 27, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

How does 'advertised as made easier for new/casual players to get into" suddenly become 'dumbed down to idiot baby level'?

Because 99% of the time the two go hand in hand.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Injustass 2 is going to sell a buttload of copies to normies and if NRS supports it like they did MKX it will have a pretty good competitive scene until MKXI comes out.

I think if you have enough stuff to keep casual players interested like story mode, challenge mode, etc. you can basically do whatever you want with your competitive modes and still be successful.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Overbite posted:

I wish captain marvel was in a good game.

The cool Captain Marvel was in IJ1 and that game is alright.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I remember correctly UMvC3 released a trailer announcing the game and had some images on their site that were like https://www.marvelversuscapcom.com/firebrand.jpg, so people just tried different names in the URL until they found the full roster.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How come Injustice 2 seems to resonate with normies more than the VS series?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's not nearly enough slay queen or inhuman characters on the Marvel side for this to be believable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

The entire Marvel side of the roster in UMvC3 had 4 female characters. 3 of them were X-Men characters.

Exactly how many non X-Men female Marvel characters are both interesting and recognizable enough to warrant a spot on the roster?

They're not particularly interesting, but there are a whole bunch of female versions of male characters (Thor, Wolverine, Spider-Man) that Marvel has been pushing lately.

Honestly, the biggest red flag that this is probably fake is that Ms. Marvel isn't included. She's among Marvel's few successes over the past few years and they've been putting her in everything it feels like.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you mean DLC or unlockable like you get her after story mode?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Black Widow seems like a no brainer, especially with the focus on the cinematic characters.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there any reason Capcom would be permitted to use some actors' likenesses but not others?

Even if there is, couldn't they just make her look a little different? It's not like Black Widow is a very visually distinctive character other than being a hot chick with red hair.

FilthyImp posted:

Spider-Gwen
Invisible Girl
Ms. Marvel (Danvers or Kamala)
She-Hulk
Wasp
Black Widow
Squirrel Girl
Jessica Jones
Medusa

There's also a supposed Runaways series that they could mine some faces from:
Molly Hayes / Nico Minoru / Arsenic & Old Lace
(Molly would be a fun Roll type character, A&OL would just be an awesome teamup character like Rocket/Groot. loving raptor attacks and poo poo)

I feel like no one was really quibbling over the mass market appeal of Doc Strange, Rocket, Deadpool or Taskmaster when MvsC3 released. So arguing that a female character needs to be both "interesting" and "recognizable" to earn a spot on the roster just seems like dumb guy internet posting.

lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

I mean, why wouldn't they just...I don't know, make her look like she does in the comics? Where are we getting that actor likeness even plays a role? In the trailer, Cap looks like comic book Cap, Hulk looks like comic book Hulk, and Danvers looks like comic book Danvers. It'd be the same for Widow.

I don't disagree. There has to be some reason behind not including her in a game that is focusing on the cinematic universe and only has like 4 female characters in it, but idk what it is. Before this leak I would have put money on her being in.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

To be fair we have no idea how any of these characters are going to play. Gamora might be ownage and fun to play in spite of being a lovely boring character.

Sentinel is pretty cool in the VS series but he's literally just one of a bunch a big dumb robot who gets owned all the time.

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 31, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

for sure if capcom has shown anything its their ability to create fun and engaging characters with powerful and interesting mechanics

Anything's possible bro.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's insane how much better the DBZ game looks lol. Like, even ignoring the gameplay (DBZ is 3v3 with assists), all the aesthetic touches like moves and animations being taken right out of the comic are tight. I have zero connection to the Dragonball franchise but I can't wait to try it out.

It is profoundly disappointing that the two franchises (MvCI and Injustice) representing a medium with a billion different art styles to choose from, look like absolute poo poo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is the demo up?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb inputs and weird MM Buster stuff aside, I don't mind how the game plays and feels tbh. It still looks like absolute poo poo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Some Capcom dude just gave an interview and he called MVCI Chun-Li "ugly" and said that he never wanted to see her again. Guaranteed he gets in trouble with Polygon and Kotaku.

EDIT: Also from the interview:

There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper play styles can be represented with our current roster. The design team has been looking at that very closely. We wanted to make sure that if a legacy character doesn't happen to make the roster this time, that play style would still be represented. That somebody who has associated themselves with Magneto wouldn't be lost coming into this title.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 23, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Harlock posted:

Very few people likely play sub optimal teams because they like a character so I mean it's kind of true.

Very few competitive players maybe, but this certainly isn't true for the vast majority of people who are going to buy MvCI.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DEcVLhsU0AAjgM1.mp4

I don't know what the thinking emoji command is but pretend I posted it here.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ryu's hitbox bothers me a lot less than the one on Captain Marvel's jump-S or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah Firebrand and Arthur are awesome. They're from a cool, under appreciated game, they have unique playstyles, and they're visually different from the rest of the cast.

• Locked thread