Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Hell, I'm surprised Gamora made it in before Black Widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Even if there is, couldn't they just make her look a little different? It's not like Black Widow is a very visually distinctive character other than being a hot chick with red hair.

lol

I mean, why wouldn't they just...I don't know, make her look like she does in the comics? Where are we getting that actor likeness even plays a role? In the trailer, Cap looks like comic book Cap, Hulk looks like comic book Hulk, and Danvers looks like comic book Danvers. It'd be the same for Widow.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

fadam posted:

I don't disagree. There has to be some reason behind not including her in a game that is focusing on the cinematic universe and only has like 4 female characters in it, but idk what it is. Before this leak I would have put money on her being in.

Wasn't there a big deal about Marvel not making Black Widow toys, too? It seems like someone has it out for the character. Then again, like everyone else has posited, perhaps people like her too much, relegating her to DLC to guarantee people spend more money.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It's not the character, it was her gender. There used to be a deeply conservative old guard in charge at Marvel Studios that were big into specifically gender-targeted markets, and they considered Marvel tie-in products to be a boys' market. For a while, licensed products for Marvel just kind of pretended MCU Black Widow didn't exist.

The guy who was apparently most responsible for that, Isaac Perlmutter, isn't overseeing Marvel Studios anymore, so there's been some forward motion on that. You can probably trace a lot of the most risk-adverse practices at Marvel back to Perlmutter, who's a notorious penny-pincher; reportedly, he used to obsess over people in the Marvel offices wasting paper clips.

With MVCI, it's hard to say what their justification is. I can see them nixing Black Widow on the basis that she'd be replicating a lot of what Chris and Chun-Li bring to the table already, but just within the MCU there's probably a half-dozen other characters who'd work just fine. MCU Scarlet Witch is, if anything, better-suited to a fighting game than her comics equivalent.

I mean, it could have been her gender, but they've been pushing Danvers hardcore for the last few years. I used to actually really like her but they decided she needed to be a flagship character, and put her in absolutely everything. Then they decided who she was wasn't good enough as is, so they completely and utterly destroyed her as a character (especially after Civil War 2).

And now she's headlining a MvC game, and getting her own movie.

Meanwhile, Black Widow is nowhere to be seen. She isn't in game, and she still isn't getting her own movie. Wonder Woman beat her to the cinema, and now Danvers is beating her to the cinema.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Race Realists posted:

i feel like the whole alcoholic thing didnt come along until Busiek's run on Avengers

According to Wiki, that's correct. That said, she was kind of whatever (to me) until around that time, so I've always seen it, and her recovery, as an integral part of her characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Marvel vs Capcom: Gender War

Danvers is going to make all the wrong decisions in this one, too.

• Locked thread