Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shiki Dan posted:

Exactly how many non X-Men female Marvel characters are both interesting and recognizable enough to warrant a spot on the roster?

Spider-Gwen
Invisible Girl
Ms. Marvel (Danvers or Kamala)
She-Hulk
Wasp
Black Widow
Squirrel Girl
Jessica Jones
Medusa

There's also a supposed Runaways series that they could mine some faces from:
Molly Hayes / Nico Minoru / Arsenic & Old Lace
(Molly would be a fun Roll type character, A&OL would just be an awesome teamup character like Rocket/Groot. loving raptor attacks and poo poo)

I feel like no one was really quibbling over the mass market appeal of Doc Strange, Rocket, Deadpool or Taskmaster when MvsC3 released. So arguing that a female character needs to be both "interesting" and "recognizable" to earn a spot on the roster just seems like dumb guy internet posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Suspicious Cook posted:

This roster is really weak and I'm scratching my head over it.
DLC up the rear end is the only thing I can think of. SFV's whole market/transaction model was DoA because they couldn't code a store for their lives. If they can get 3-4 DLC packs out with a few characters each go, you might have a worthwhile game.

Platformify the game. Make it a frontend for a bunch of DLC that players will want.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shiki Dan posted:

It's funny b/c Deadpool was chosen explicitly for his mass market appeal, and all of the Marvel characters added in UMvC3 were chosen by Capcom specifically BECAUSE they were characters that Capcom wanted to create due to the variety that their playstyles added to the game.
We talkin' Movie Mass Market appeal, or Comic Nerd Mass Market Appeal? Because the guys I cited didn't have a Major Motion Picture under their belt when MvsC3 happened. Deadpool's a fan favorite for Marvel readers, but some rando circa 2013 would have thought he was a Spidey skin or something.

quote:

Which you would have known if you actually played the games and weren't just some SJW comic scrub here to poo poo up this topic.
Bruh I'm not redpilling the thread over what Iconic Instantly Recognizable :females: deserve a spot on the roster (that could have gone to a Rightful Male Character).

It's a retread lineup overall and doesn't capitalize on Marvel's position as a cornerstone of modern pop culture.
I think we can decry the lack of imagination with the lineup and simultaneously note that it's light on the girls.

Archenteron posted:

Drop Hulk, add Hulkling (And Wiccan)

:quig:
This is a good post.

Though I think they're constrained by the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, so they'll want to recreate whatever iconic scenes Cap, Hulk, Spidey and the rest have. Just with Ultron Sigma in place.
It's just too bad they don't go whole hog and give us a Netherrealm style story mode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

androo posted:

Tried to read this thread but realized that was a mistake. What are the reactions like?
There was some initial concern about making it an "accessible" Marvel game, which turned out to be legit if you look at the inputs (when did Down Down Button become a thing?), then cautious excitement that was killed when the roster leaked, and finally had-scratching over the bargain mobile app art style.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Watching some of the gameplay from e3 yeah there seems to be some cool stuff with the gameplay but I feel like there's more bad than good.

Also the story demo they put out is embarrassingly bad.

They made Liefeld captain the default skin it's not even DLC so that's cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Two universes, each of which houses a multiverse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The story mode is that 'comic' we all had in mind in 7th grade, aka the story we told when spilling out all our action figures in the back yard.

Complete with cute pun names, like AIMbrella.

"So X and Chun-Li are part of Maverick HunterPol, and their US Operatives, Captain America and Dante, send word that Zero, who is immune to the T-Sigma Virus, is in New Atlantas, to extract intel from Sentinel, who has been programmed to find Reploids and format them into Ultron Drones."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

anime was right posted:

i mean max has probably had something like 80 hours with the game for ~free media~ so who cares
I don't know if it's a result of being FG Gud for like a decade, or if the dude practices a bit off-cam and then records after a bit of learning, but most of his "random FG poo poo" videos are fun to watch for the construction of combos part.

"Let's play this rando MUGEN-like with Megaman X characters. Let's go with the Roll X character. Ok. :projectiles and buttons: hm. :mechanics: figuring stuff out... :45% combo with good hit confirm reads into chain throw loop: ok yeah that works let's see what you can do with meter"

Plus his voice is like butter and a welcome change from high-pitched Fragmaster ripoffs or Yet Another Guy With a British Accent.

• Locked thread