Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I hope this game is not tvc2 or sfxt2, but actually is just marvel 4 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

accessible content? sign me up. I have no intention of learning "game mechanics" (I'm not an engineer, I'm a gamer!) so this sounds perfect for me.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

I think they are afraid to let their producers talk anymore because they haven't said anything smart when they are allowed to talk

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

help I'm an adult that can operate complex machines like a car or computer or smartphone but I'm unable to move my thumb a centimeter to the right and press a single button to shoot a fireball in a video game

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

wiggle your thumb in the corner and press a single button

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

don't believe it that's fake news according to capcom

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I was with you until the SF4 thing, SFIII 3rd Strike was the pinnacle of the SF series

this is why I try not to venture out of the main fg thread

when boring 3s is now widely considered the pinnacle of the sf series it's not surprising we're getting games like this poo poo from capcom

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm not really a fighting games pro but I had a lot of fun with SF3 and so did my friends, sorry if my opinion on a genre I don't excel at is somehow responsible for MvC:I potentially being bad I guess :shrug:

it's nothing against you, it's capcoms fault for failing completely at making a game both good and also appealing for everyone, since like sf2. other companies don't seem to have nearly the struggle that capcom has with this.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I mean SF3, MvC2 and MvC3 were all fun as hell for my casual self and friends, and all 3 have/had very active competitive scenes. MvC3 is accessible as hell to newbies and still appears to be played competitively. I'm not sure what the issue is, TBH?
played competitively doesn't mean good or cool or not boring, or the nebulous "thing that I personally like".. I mean world of tanks is huge for example and there are lots of mobage tournaments

the main issue for most fg design from capcom seems to stem from them running away from negative public perception of their games and running towards what they think people want. the common perception of mvc2 (which is hugely wrong) strongly influenced design level decisions about mvc3 for example. the same can be said for this game and that's scary imo

you can see the influence of not really 3s, but what people (bads) think about 3s, in games like sfv, and it's that characters get boring superficial things like neutered parries because daigo tricked people into thinking tapping forward rhythmically is the coolest and best thing you can do in an fg. there are other decisions like this for sfv like hacked together fixes because option select became a dirty word from sf4.

a lot of stuff in this game sounds like design decisions written by YouTube and kotaku commenters. capcom seems to be trying to make a game for them, but I think there's a chance they could gently caress up and make a cool game on accident instead of the bad game they are trying for

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

You're basically saying that other peoples' opinions are responsible for the way these ganes are developing, but those peoples' opinions are wrong because they're "bads." So casual players' opinions are automatically bad/wrong? But you also say that an active competitive scene also is not an indicator of a good game. So if casuals' opinions can't be trusted as far as future game design, and competitive players' opinions aren't indicative of a good game, then what exactly are you looking for?

e: also that Daigo parry video is pretty sweet, I'm not sure why good parry timing is a bad thing to highlight for people :shrug:
I'm not trying to provide answers for these problems fwiw, you seem to be misreading my intent with these posts. I'm in no way a problem solver, I just notice a gross trend.

and I'm not saying people's opinions are responsible for this trend. capcom is the one making the decisions here. nobody needs to repent for having ignorant opinions, I have ignorant opinions on almost everything, as does everyone else. but capcom is supposed to specialize in this field which is what makes it so disappointing.

the opinions of casuals aren't wrong, they are uninformed. they can keep having uninformed opinions, I don't care about that. the problem lies solely with capcom catering to the strawman "good game for everyone." and the opinions of competitive players are absolutely valuable but being a competitive player doesn't make you a game designer.

and the daigo parry was cool imo because of basically everything except the physical mechanic of parrying. the atmosphere and tension, the fact he had to do it before the flash, the combo he chose to follow up with, etc. what capcom got from this was copying the visual aspect of the mechanic to sfv (repeatedly) and not really anything else. it's hollow and lifeless

edit to be more clear, capcom sucks at making games cool at all skill levels and other devs seem to do this fine

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 27, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

cams posted:

hm maybe the autistic nerds posting on an internet forum have differing preferences in video games than the hundreds of thousands of people they are trying to sell to

euthanize gamers

games like this can't survive without the core audience. capcom isn't appealing to those "hundreds and thousands" or the "autistic nerds" and that's kind of their issue. like I said before, other devs aren't having this big a problem

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Here's your first problem.

You feel strongly enough about fighting games that you paid $10 to post about them on an Internet message board. You're automatically an enthusiast. You are in no way "core."

The "core audience" for a Marvel vs. Capcom game in 2017 will be fans of the MCU, of Marvel comics, or of Capcom's other franchises (and Resident Evil, at least, is having a very good year, so it makes sense that Chris is the single most prominent Capcom character in the story trailer). That will account for, at a guess, 90% of the game's overall lifetime sales: dorm room warriors who just want to pick the Hulk and smack Thor around. Any professional competitive circuit that the game develops is basically gravy. It's a bonus, it will move DLC, and if it makes it onto television, so much the better.

A consistent problem with "gamers" as an audience is that they always, always overestimate just how crucial they are to the development process. The hardcore fringe of a game's audience are certainly useful and welcome, but they don't move units by themselves. They help to produce the community that keeps a game relevant and vibrant, so they have a role, but gamers have a tendency to act like they've somehow managed to get a hand on the wheel.
i didnt reg here to post about fg by the way im just extremely good at posting about them

games with slow drip dlc especially need a robust group of hardcore people at the center to keep interest alive. valve understands this and sells tourney tickets and has a variety of other things to tie the hardcore and more casual/spectator communities together. namco has this with its robust mode choices and other features for its fighting games. arcsys does this by having variety in single player modes and tutorials while not skimping on complexity. guilty gear and some other games even have newsfeeds on the menus that talk about current community events.

take it from the genius, david sirlin, himself:

maybe using the word "core" was a mistake since you took that and defined it for me and then said that it was wrong because of that specific word, okay thats cool. hopefully you can look beyond a single word that you defined for me and try to appreciate the context of that statement. i mean, would you consider the "core" audience of chess to be the thousands and thousands of poo poo-tier players and small children that "can" play chess or the people that give a poo poo about it? when they made rules revisions like en passants and castling which do you think the rule-makers gave a poo poo about affecting? would chess even have thousands and thousands of poo poo-tier players if there were no grandmasters?

anyway, it is absolutely important for a fighting game, or any game with competitive netplay, to be designed with hardcore players in mind. even puyo puyo tetris is balanced with good players in mind, nobody making a competitive game is trying to make one that sucks to play competitively except for couch co-op indie shovelware devs

Zand fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 28, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

HebrewMagic posted:

Jesus I couldn't read that post my eyes rolled back in my loving skull
you should try reading it again, it and all of my posts are fantastic

Wanderer posted:

Wasn't MVC2 just every sprite they had thrown together in a blender? I don't think it'd be anywhere near as well-regarded as it is if not for the 2D fighter drought of the '00s.

people think this but they are just wrong

if you take a look at version history for the old versus games arcade releases and track balance changes across versions you'll see that they were well aware of what was broken in the old games. mvc2 was more of a choice than a lot of people give it credit for. A lot of characters were de-powered from old versions and plenty were made more powerful from old versions. There were some things that were unintentional, sure, but thats basically every fg. Access to infinites for example is incredibly limited in mvc2 compared to other vs games. There are also a lot of new sprites in mvc2 (sonson, servbot, tron, cable, amingo, marrow, jill, roll, hayato, probably someone else).

MvC2 didn't come out in a drought of fgs, it came out in 2000, before cvs2, tekken 4, soul calibur 2, and ggxx. it was right after third strike, tekken tag, sfa3, and cvs1.

Zand fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 28, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

Wow that lineup is disappointing as gently caress.

Guess I'll track down a copy of Children of the Atom and run it in dosbox instead

its on fightcade??? i play it on there :]

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

It's funny b/c Deadpool was chosen explicitly for his mass market appeal, and all of the Marvel characters added in UMvC3 were chosen by Capcom specifically BECAUSE they were characters that Capcom wanted to create due to the variety that their playstyles added to the game.

Which you would have known if you actually played the games and weren't just some SJW comic scrub here to poo poo up this topic.

Vanilla MvC3 had 4.
But yeah, I'd expect to be nickel-and-dimed for most of the characters this time around.

ya this I agree but without calling him an sjw scrub (there's no reason to classify subgroups of scrubs)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

can combofiend keep his job after mvci or will this be like his sfxt to seth killian

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

edit: nvm :D

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fellblade posted:

Sorry, I momentarily forgot to put on my capcops illuminati vision shades.

you're right. capcom would never pay out fgc members for their support for marketing

oh wait what exactly is capcup and eleague
or mopreme and kamui for sf 15th anniv marketing a decade ago
or mr wizard for cfe around the same time
or buktooth for mvc3
or s kill for sfxt
or combofiend for mvci

nah that's not part of a pattern or anything, it's a conspiracy to suggest capcom markets their games using fgc member credibility

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

can we get zand in the package tho

you have the weirdest axe to grind

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fellblade posted:

Holy poo poo a company engages with the community, how dare they.

when did I say it's bad for them to do? I was only saying it's weird to think that believing they do this is a conspiracy.

I just said that's what they did and all it means is you have to take sponsored opinions with a grain of salt

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fellblade posted:

There's no conspiracy because everybody with a brain understands what is happening, reacting like it's some big secret is what makes you seem like a conspiracy loon. Along with stuff like:

Of course it doesn't apply to him because *made up reasons that definitely don't apply to people who say anything positive*. Like Justin totally needs Capcom to invite him to E3 or he will become irrelevant.

I wish I could be as hype for mvci as you and cams

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

(posting in a video game forum) having opinions on games is bad

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

androo posted:

Tried to read this thread but realized that was a mistake. What are the reactions like? MvC3 was the coolest poo poo in the world to watch and I'm hoping this game will require the same sort of insane engineering. Did they really get rid of assist moves?

reactions: people with sponsored opinions and people that don't know enough to put just how bad this game is in to context think it's good.

assists are gone but there's gems and tagging into moves

this game will likely not require the engineering or whatever of mvc3 bc there's only two characters and no assists. if they use a dlc model like sfv with a balancing schedule or approach like sfv, anything insane will be neutered so you might get to see something cool every once and a while.

oh and there's an infinite prevention mechanic that causes a flip out from a combo

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

also the game has 11 frames of input lag I forgot that part

11 frames

edit this is not true

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

lol for real? That's insane. Normally I'd be "well, it's just a demo" but knowing Capcom this might as well be in the final version. Also explains why movement looks decent but people are complaining about it feeling bad.

it's three months out from release and it's capcom so yeah

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Fruitsnacks posted:

Did you get that number from the DisplayLag video? He records at 120 FPS so the ~11 frames of input lag at 120 FPS is actually ~6 frames at 60 FPS.

drat that's really good then

I guess the movement feels like poo poo because there's a big start up on every dash action then.

edit I mean I read the 11 frames thing and after I played the demo it seemed to explain the sluggishness. how does it feel so gross with 6.1?

Zand fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 16, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

it feels bad wavedashing in xvsf for that reason

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

also chip damage sucks

sorry guys but zoning wars don't get good ratings on espn5

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

yeah your modern marvel fan, like, do you think they even know who wolverine is

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Race Realists posted:

i hope the nerdrage never stops flowing with this game :allears:

have you seen anyone actually mad about this game? mostly people just seem disappointed

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah. I mean, they're still making X-Men movies so it's not like they've slipped off the radar over the past decade.

logan came out this year

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Iron Man has a stronger rushdown game in this one, including a rekka, because theoretically they're trying to get him to appeal to guys who played Magneto in MVC3. I did not say Magneto had a rekka, or that casuals would know what the gently caress it was. You guys are so recreationally salty over this game that you aren't actually reading posts.

Yeah, DBFZ is too far out to pose an immediate threat to MVC:I. I'm sure that it'll blow up the world when it comes out, but they were saying at E3 that DBZF is 20% done. I wouldn't be surprised to see it slide to 2019, or ship with a relatively limited roster at first.

Which ones? A casual Google says Logan made $660 million or so, which is well below every MCU movie besides the second Thor.

Besides, still not the point I'm making. Character loyalty's important with licensed games, but it's not the only concern, especially with a team-based fighting game that encourages people to branch out.

cant you guys just let him win the argument so he stops posting

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

after release is combofiend going to quit and make a budget smash clone

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIpibaXQm8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-or-POWn14c

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

who wants to fight in marvel super heroes later on fightcade

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

this game comes out next month right?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

More proof that MVC2 was a happy accident.

I already talked about this earlier in the thread but a lot of what makes mvc2 tick was deliberate. great games rarely happen on accident

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

they really should just gone full bore with a straightup Marvel game without all the Capcom characters, who are looking weaker and worse every month. From the advancing guard reflect that seems designed to gently caress up ALL the Capcom non-beam characters to the worst models mainly being Capcom (ChunLi, Dante, Frank) it seems like it would have been better received if this wasn't called MVC and was a Marvel fighter

I don't really believe the rumor about capcom characters being intentionally made weak but stuff like this is cool because it feeds that rumour so well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

where's sentinel

or sentinel analogue

• Locked thread