Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Take away Haggar, P.Wright, Amaterasu, V. Joe and most of Resident Evil and DmC and give us Monster Hunter and a new Darkstalker while keeping the G&G duo? Weird choices.

E: Full list of characters from UMvC3 not in the leaked MvCI list:

Akuma
Wesker
Amaterasu
C. Viper
Deadpool
Doom
Dormammu
Felicia
Ghost Rider
Hsien-Ko
Iron Fist
Magneto
Haggar
MODOK
Phoenix
Phoenix Wright
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Storm
Super Skrull
Taskmaster
Trish
Tron
Vergil
V. Joe
Wolverine
X-23
Zero
Jill
Shuma

Additions:

Jedah
Monster Hunter
Mega Man X
Ant-Man
Capt. Marvel
Gamora
Rocket + Groot
Thanos
Ultron
Sigma + other DLC (Venom?)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

A ton of the base roster are low/medium mobility characters, possibly intentional to slow down game pace/not intimidate people new to the vs. series? You still have a few like Chun, Strider and Nova but nobody who's going to be zipping around at even Doom fly/airdash speed and the ones with teleports weren't that amazing in 3.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Racon was in the last one, albeit without Groot and with British accent.

I would consider what appears to be Rocket riding Groot as a new character, I seriously doubt he's going to play at all like Ultimate Rocket.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Hippopo posted:

I wonder if Groot is an assist/install super, and the one they showed off was a level 3 post-install a la Vergil's in Ultimate. Considering how many other assets they're re-using, seems weird that they'd remake Rocket entirely.

Groot is a lot more important in a post-GotG Marvel world.

I hope Monster Hunter is the weird one with a bunch of gimmicks. Give me on the fly weapon switching, give me a damage boost if I take time to sharpen, give me an inventory with First-Aid Meds and Dung Bombs that snapback and prevent red life from healing when they tag out and Felyne helpers for combo extending and damage soaking. Give me a super where I ride a Deviljho or a Rathalos over the other team and a win cinematic where I harvest the other guy for useful parts.

E: I just realized every EVO championship team is losing at least one character in the base roster and some lost all 3.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 31, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

More rumors dropping on Reddit:

- DLC coming in seasons, each season introducing 6-8 new characters, season 2 tentatively themed as Fantastic Four vs. Darkstalkers coming early 2018 and will probably include:
Doom
Skrull
Silver Surfer
She-Hulk
Felicia
Jon Talbain
2 more Darkstalkers (Hsien-Ko likely as one)

- DLC season 3 tentatively themed as X-Men focused, possibly when Wolverine, Cyclops, and Deadpool will be released alongside more mainline Street Fighter characters.
- Other rumored DLC characters include Doctor Octopus, Venom, Songbird, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Star-Lord, Black Widow, Leon, Captain Commando, and Asura.
- VERY DLC heavy game, Capcom seems to want to target 4 DLC seasons per year with the belief that the game will sell because it's MvC and the DLC will sell because it will have the characters people wanted in the first place.
- GnG getting 2 slots on the Capcom side is because of a new GnG game being worked on by Capcom Vancouver that is supposedly "More realistic and set on Earth in the 1970s."

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

That's absolute bullshit because Capcom can't even finish one character a month in SF5 and all of those are Generic Blonde Person with moves stolen from various other characters in Capcom games.

That assumes the DLC characters aren't basically done and aren't being intentionally held back to milk the userbase which is exactly the kind of thing I now expect from Capcom.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Story is not Capcom's strong suit, why would your E3 trailer feature zero gameplay?

This confirming most of the leak roster + the DBZ reveal has done more to de-hype me for MvCI than I could have expected.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJoVJAjADI

New gameplay trailer, Zero is in but Sougenmou looks changed enough that I'm going to guess that the zoop zoops are either much harder or impossible.

I'm assuming Arthur needs Time Stone to dash

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The new trailer and watching people play the demo and... I guess it looks more like Marvel now. That's about as charitable as I can be.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

fadam posted:

Is the demo up?

I think the people who have it are getting it from their JP/AU/possibly EU PSN accounts.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

They kept Bold Move but may have removed Bold Cancel. At minimum you can't BC Stinger in the demo according to Twitter.

E: plink dashing doesn't work and wavedashing is harder/unavailable for some characters

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 13, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

So hype for this at EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRHi9oyMXqE

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Haggar with a projectile/shield via the barrel makes me smile but they can't trick me into getting this before the inevitable Black Friday half price blowout

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Really like that their SFV footage included modded Juri and Urien from before they were available

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The more I see of the mechanics of the game the more I think it's probably a pretty sound fighter, but it will probably be more fun to watch combo videos of MvCI than actually playing it

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

fadam posted:

Other than the dumb reflect thing I think all the systems and whatever are cool. Tag combos are a lot more fun than I expected.

I'm actually kind of... ok with the reflect system? I understand the reasons people are against it, but considering that it isn't a frame-perfect input and that it'll probably only take a marginal amount of skill to input the pushblock/reflect, it will end up as a way for new players to learn how to fight back against plasma spam and make it so higher level play isn't heavily populated by Morrigan-style teams like Ultimate was in the last few years. I think of it in the same vein as how SFV removed chipouts from non-super damage.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Dias posted:

The one Morrigan team was Morridoom tho, zoning in Marvel 3 was kinda rear end and the only way to make it work was playing one of the most opressive zoning games in the history of the genre. MVCI looks like it keeps the rear end zoning but now adds an even EASIER way to gently caress someone up for daring to play a zoning character.

I feel like just because it had more facets to it doesn't mean that RyanLV's team wasn't heavy zoning with both Astral Morrigan and Phoenix and there were plenty of mid-tier zoning teams like DualKevin's Deadpool and Paradigm's Arthur.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

fadam posted:

what shady Belorussian dude did you guys get this game on the cheap from?

CDkeys has the standard PC version for $28

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Haggar's punch super doesn't ground bounce, you can't mash it, the pipe seems a lot weaker but he can get gold out of his barrels so I consider this a fair trade

I watched a bit of KBR trying to lab Hulk/Haggar and he just seems so sad that nothing seemed to carry over from Ultimate

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I feel like characters with strong throw mixup games are going to be sneaky good early on since landing a throw removes all red life SFxT style.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Hulk has a wall jump. I'm impressed.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The reflect is funny, the command grab setup is filthy

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Having watched for the last few days the hype for this would have been so much greater if this was what they showed initially instead of the garbage E3/Evo/Demo offerings. The combo system is appropriately crazy, things seem to just sort of work in a more freeform way, it looks like a faster, more pressure-based game than before while still giving zoning and area denial characters more tools to compensate.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

throws take away all red life so they probably thought combos off of throws would have been too much on top of the red life elimination

you can still combo off a mind stone command grab (and several other command grab/capture state moves) but those seem very heavily scaled

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 15, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

It's pretty obvious from the first few days that when they sat down to make MvCI they had some clear goals in mind:

- Minimize low resource/meter positive ToD combos
- Minimize infinites
- Lower viability of full screen lockdown projectile play
- Provide a limited get-out-of-jail card without simply making it a generic burst
- Allow for combo flexibility by universally allowing low hitboxes to OTG while providing a general upper bound to combo damage by tying hitstun scaling to damage

All in all it seems like an attempt to make a more 'fair' Marvel, the question is whether or not people that's something people actually want

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

if you dont have the skull on screen how can you know it was ghost rider come on be serious

e: I'm reminded of how great the level 3 super activation sound from Ultimate was

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I can't find any solid plans for either a physical guide or an app with frame data. I know Brady made the UMvC guide but I don't think they exist anymore

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

2017 Character Pack DLC characters now confirmed as Sigma, Black Panther, Monster Hunter, Winter Soldier, Black Widow and Venom.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOM9qv4T5Qw

E-SPORTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Are you frustrated?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I think the strongest evidence Spencer is only in MvCI because Combofiend is the creative director is the fact that he literally contributes nothing at all during story mode except occupying a second character slot in some fights.

Um he got that part for Tony

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

This is going to sound weird but I find the mission combos genuinely fun to do. Ghost Rider 10 involves tagging in Haggar to do two air pipes during the whirlwind chain super, catching Jedah as he comes down with the Haggar punch rush, then tagging him with the bike after all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

It's clear the MvCI team got some gentle nudges from Capcom corporate that MonHun is one of the only games keeping them afloat so they better do this character right

• Locked thread