Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RE7 madhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Metroid Fusion

Got all the way to the SA-X fight as a child, but could never get past it

Now as a full grown adult with a big brain and a college degree I was able to finish this game :tipshat:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Divinity: Original Sin. It took me a long time to get into it--I got it as a gift for Christmas 2015 and didn't really get into it until December '16 after an abortive attempt at a new game every few months. But once it clicked with me I fell in love. Did every side quest, save file was 75 hours. My ending was a little bit of a bummer, though. Even with the soul forge I couldn't redeem Leandra for some reason and she died, and apparently what I had intended as "my two protagonists have very different personalities so they bicker and snipe a lot but are firm comrades at the end of the day" the game instead interpreted as "my two protagonists can't stand each other" and I was told that they parted ways, never saw each other again, and eventually forgot one another.

The two protagonists thing is really cool, probably my favorite part of the game and a really interesting twist on the standard crpg formula. It looks like the sequel ditches it, which is insane.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It was very good but hooo boy is it long.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

4 Sided Fantasy. It was ok, just short and simple.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - True Ending

One of my biggest gaming regrets has always been not finishing this game when I had the chance to play it for one summer 10 years ago. I got stuck on a near end boss and never managed to finish it. At last that has been rectified.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beat MGS 1 & 2, and loved both of them. I am about a third of the way through MGS3 (from what I remember) and I think it's probably my favorite so far in terms of story.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Beat MGS 1 & 2, and loved both of them. I am about a third of the way through MGS3 (from what I remember) and I think it's probably my favorite so far in terms of story.

:hf: Enjoy - I loved MGS3 way more than any of the others, so have fun with it! Such a good story (and stealth/camo mechanics), so for me it just blows the others out of the water. (drat I wish MGS3 got a PC/Steam release :( )
So what part have you gotten up to?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It was very good but hooo boy is it long.

is it really good ? it seems a bit like the rpg equivalent of a match 3 gems style phone game to me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

is it really good ? it seems a bit like the rpg equivalent of a match 3 gems style phone game to me

the world building + writing is very good. the combat is whateva but everything else i like a lot

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Major Isoor posted:

:hf: Enjoy - I loved MGS3 way more than any of the others, so have fun with it! Such a good story (and stealth/camo mechanics), so for me it just blows the others out of the water. (drat I wish MGS3 got a PC/Steam release :( )
So what part have you gotten up to?

The End battle.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I beat Age of Decadence twice, first I did a non-combat run with a high charisma merchant type and then i got used to dying repeatedly until I had figured out combat and killed everyone. good game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

The End battle.

Ah nice, I liked that bit. I only managed to beat it legitimately once though, from memory. :D Since if you weren't aware, he can die of old age if you either wait a week (I think? Might be more/less), or move your clock forward a week

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

extremely steampunk posted:

I beat Age of Decadence twice, first I did a non-combat run with a high charisma merchant type and then i got used to dying repeatedly until I had figured out combat and killed everyone. good game

I've always been curious about that game. How long is it, and is the story actually engrossing enough to make you want to keep going until you beat it? Since I haven't really heard much about it.
Also, which playstyle do you prefer/recommend? Normally I like to focus on charisma, etc. and maybe only get into a fight now and again, in most games like that.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i beat tactics ogre: let us cling together . i believe it was the law route :-] really good game except for the crafting, i dont know if ill do any postgame stuff though since supposedly its a big grind. whats some other good srpgs that arent just like fft or fire emblem or devil survivor?

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Major Isoor posted:

I've always been curious about that game. How long is it, and is the story actually engrossing enough to make you want to keep going until you beat it? Since I haven't really heard much about it.
Also, which playstyle do you prefer/recommend? Normally I like to focus on charisma, etc. and maybe only get into a fight now and again, in most games like that.

The story is good and you can clear it in a few hours if you aren't obsessed with details. It's designed so that you can avoid combat through the entire game as long as you have the right stats for persuasion/skill checks, which is what I did the first time through

Its replayability is in seeing the different story paths and endings. There are I think 11 different endings and each one has different details for each class. Some of the endings hinge on perfectly allocating stats and picking dialogue choices exactly right from start to finish and I figured if I was going to read a wiki or spoiler to get the endings I hadn't seen yet I might as well just cheat and do it all in one go, so after I beat it twice thats what I did

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DOOM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i beat tactics ogre: let us cling together . i believe it was the law route :-] really good game except for the crafting, i dont know if ill do any postgame stuff though since supposedly its a big grind. whats some other good srpgs that arent just like fft or fire emblem or devil survivor?

uhhh disgaea i think is the other one. but ive never played it because it looks like AiDS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You could play Fire Emblem Heroes lol.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

It's not that basic. The combat takes a second seat at times but they do have enough systems going on that it's not just mash attack to win.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

You could play Fire Emblem Heroes lol.

nintendo "we're releasing two fire emblem games at the same time, and if you buy one you get the second half off"
gamers "wtf rip off price gouging dlc"
nintendo "we're releasing a fire emblem gambling app"
gamers "$99 is the best value"

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

I.N.R.I posted:

congrats. that's a good game!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Final Fantasy XV. Those last 5 or so chapters were something

Soral
May 30, 2009

DEADBOLT

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soral posted:

DEADBOLT

The little amount of the game I played I enjoyed so far. Its got a great Gunpoint vibe which is another game I loved.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Last Guardian. I didn't like it much at first because of the controls and camera but I ended up really liking it by the end

Soral
May 30, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

The little amount of the game I played I enjoyed so far. Its got a great Gunpoint vibe which is another game I loved.

yeah it definitely feels a lot like a cross between hotline miami and gunpoint to me. good style and some nice tunes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

i loved Gunpoint so i'll have to pick it up at some point

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

same... thanks for putting this game on my radar Unfunny Poster

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Soral posted:

yeah it definitely feels a lot like a cross between hotline miami and gunpoint to me. good style and some nice tunes

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time and Gunpoint ruled too so I guess I'm buying deadbolt because of this post

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Rushed to beat Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past so I can now start Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Replayed Um Jammer Lammy. I forgot how insane and cheerful this game was.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArfJason posted:

Replayed Um Jammer Lammy. I forgot how insane and cheerful this game was.

its a great game... the firedog song FTW

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

4. Link's Awakening

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

its a great game... the firedog song FTW

i remember when i first played i didnt care for almsot any of the songs but now i like all of em, except for that dumb idol one, which i always hated.

I also think its real cool how it jumps all over the place when it comes to genres; that firemen funk, the weird synth pad one with the beaver, the one that switches between heavy metal and soft rock, the chop chop master onion song, the baby rockabilly. Whatever the gently caress the idol one is.

such a good fun time

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love the parrapa games and umjammer... when does the remaster for parappa come out on PS4?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku posted:

I love the parrapa games and umjammer... when does the remaster for parappa come out on PS4?

Parappa 2 is already on there. Hopefully 1+UL will be up soon

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
There will never be a remake of or sequel to ujl and that makes me real sad

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No I mean there is a remake of one for ps4. With all new HD spitework. I was just curious if it came out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yea it got announced in december i think. I want to say a feb release date but i cant remember

• Locked thread