Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

1. Halo: CE Anniversary - 1/1
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider - 1/6
3. Quantum Break - 1/7
4. Halo 2: Anniversary- 1/14
5. Halo 3 - 1/16
6. Halo 3: ODST - 1/19
7. Halo: Reach - 1/21
8. Halo 4 - 1/26
9. Halo 5 - 1/28
10. Divinity: Original Sin - 1/30
11. For Honor - 2/18
12. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 - 2/19
13. Firewatch - 2/20
14. The Order: 1886 - 2/26
15. Watch Dogs 2 - 3/5
16. Sniper Elite III - 3/14
17. Battlefield 1 - 3/17
18. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 4/23
19. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 4/29
20. Dishonored - 5/8
21. Dishonored 2 - 5/12
22. Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 5/22
23. Far Cry: Primal - 5/29
24. House of the Dying Sun - 6/6
25. Prey - 6/17
26. Ori and the Blind Forest - 7/4
27. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief - 7/30
28. Doom (2016) - 8/6
29. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - 8/26
30. Strike Vector EX - 9/30
31. Fran Bow - 10/13
32. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - 10/14
33. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - 10/29
34. Call of Duty: WWII - 11/4
35. The Turing Test - 11/5
36. Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017) - 11/18
37. Telltale Games’ Guardians of the Galaxy - 11/18
38. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus - 11/23
39. Sleeping Dogs - 12/31

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rise of the Tomb Raider. I liked it but I think I preferred the first one overall. Which is weird, I liked the platforming, puzzles, and stealth more and think the shooting was probably about on par. Maybe because the story wasn't as good? I don't know. I still had fun but I don't think I'll be playing it again.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

One of my favorite moments was the first time I got killed by the alien. I had just finished a long section of sneaking past it and robots and thought I was safe for some reason so I let my guard down and it immediately killed me when I walked under a vent. Good way to teach me to look up and pay attention to drool.

My favorite moment in the game was when I was hiding from the alien in a locker. After a minute or two of silence I decide to risk checking the motion tracker to see if it's safe to come out. The instant the tracker beeped the locker door suddenly flew off its hinges and the alien reached in and murked me instantly while I screamed like a little girl.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the first game's story wasn't anything groundbreaking but the shipwreck aspect, the fact that you were being hunted, the constant threat to Lara's friends, it made everything real intense and high-stakes. Rise never really explains what's at stake, the bad guys want this thing and you have to stop them because they're bad guys. Whatever.

Also I don't think Jacob was supposed to be Jesus? Or did I really miss something? I thought he was just some generic prophet.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum Break. I wasn't expecting much when I bought it and just figured, well I've got this new Xbox One and I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider and the Master Chief Collection but I guess I should probably get a game specifically made for the One and it was on sale so whatever. But you know what, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It was basically Alan Wake but with much much better combat and a more engaging story. The time-control powers were pretty fun to play around with too. Nothing amazing but much better than I was expecting and at some point I'll probably go back to it and see how the story changes when I make different choices.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo 2. My first time playing it since it was new and the original Xbox was cutting-edge. When I was in middle school I thought it was better than the first but I don't think so now. Still really good and I'm excited to start up 3.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo 3. Didn't have as many standout iconic scenes as the first one but the gameplay was the best out of the original trilogy. Amazing feeling going through them all again. Time for ODST.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the vast majority of The Witcher 3 references the book series instead of the previous games. I read a plot summary of previous games to try and figure out what was going on and it didn't really explain anything. Then I started reading the books and everything fell into place.

The codex explains everything you need to know anyway.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo 3: ODST. My least favorite Halo. Not bad but not particularly good. Whoever decided that what Halo needed was Nathan Fillion making epic Jess Whedon quips should be shot. Excited to move on to reach.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo: Reach. I've found that my opinions on most of the Halo games have changed a lot in this Halo marathon from when I first played each one. But this one stayed constant: I always thought Reach was the best, and it's certainly my favorite of what I've played so far. It was a fitting farewell to the series from Bungie.

With that, I've beaten all the Bungie Halos. Onto the 343i ones.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

There's still time...you can save yourself...

I made a solemn gamer vow to beat every Halo this year.

Besides I remember thinking Halo 4 was pretty good. Of course at the time I hadn't played it immediately after playing the Bungie games so we'll see how that holds up. I'm a little burned out on Halo atm and post-Reach seems like a good place to take a breather though so I think I'll hold off for a bit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

I was gonna warn you that Reach has been broken on backwards compatibility for a while with a busted framerate & stuff but I looked it up and apparently they fixed that in october so now im gonna play Reach too

The frame rate's still kinda busted on the first level which got me all nervous but it's perfect afterwards.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo 4. Didn't like it as much now that I'm fresh off the Bungie games as I did in 2012, but it was still pretty good. The actual shooting mechanics were great and I like the new Forerunner weapons a lot but the level design and stuff wasn't too hot and there aren't really any cool iconic scenes like the other games had. And I think I finally pinpointed what it is about the story I couldn't get into--actually having a distinct, singular enemy makes the whole game feel less epic than the other games where you were one man against these vast, faceless hordes. It's just another game where you stop the bad guy and his henchmen. Like the other games had the Prophet of Truth and the Gravemind and stuff but it always felt like they represented their faction, rather than vice versa. I have no idea if I'm making any sense right now.

I'm going to run through the Spartan Ops story and then start on Halo 5 for the first time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Halo 5. Still not as good as the Bungie games but still pretty good. AI rebellion is not the way I was expecting the story to go. Fireteam Osiris can suck a dick too, I guess Tanaka was cool but Locke was generic military protagonist #9001 and Vale and Buck were loving obnoxious (though to be fair Buck wasn't as bad as he was in ODST). It's unbelievable to me that 343 thought we'd rather play as these guys than Master Chief and his team.

That wraps up the main series, I've now beaten every Halo FPS this year. I think I'll extend the Year of Halo to include all the spinoffs nobody cares about but I'm going to give it a rest and play some other games before I do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Divinity: Original Sin. It took me a long time to get into it--I got it as a gift for Christmas 2015 and didn't really get into it until December '16 after an abortive attempt at a new game every few months. But once it clicked with me I fell in love. Did every side quest, save file was 75 hours. My ending was a little bit of a bummer, though. Even with the soul forge I couldn't redeem Leandra for some reason and she died, and apparently what I had intended as "my two protagonists have very different personalities so they bicker and snipe a lot but are firm comrades at the end of the day" the game instead interpreted as "my two protagonists can't stand each other" and I was told that they parted ways, never saw each other again, and eventually forgot one another.

The two protagonists thing is really cool, probably my favorite part of the game and a really interesting twist on the standard crpg formula. It looks like the sequel ditches it, which is insane.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Soral posted:

yeah it definitely feels a lot like a cross between hotline miami and gunpoint to me. good style and some nice tunes

Hotline Miami is one of my favorite games of all time and Gunpoint ruled too so I guess I'm buying deadbolt because of this post

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

For Honor campaign mode. I like the game despite a bunch of Ubisoft AIDS and the story mode was pretty neat. The plot's basically exactly as perfunctory as you'd expect in a game about Vikings, knights, and samurai beating each others' asses for no reason but there are some cool set pieces like the Viking raid on the samurai coastal fort and it was a good excuse to try out some heroes I probably wouldn't have bothered trying in multiplayer otherwise.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2. I got it because I'm kinda interested in the upcoming 3rd one and this one was on sale for like $2.75 or something ridiculous like that on Steam. Not bad for a budget game, it was basically the sniper mission in CoD 4 stretched out into a whole campaign. My biggest complaint is that it was way too linear and shockingly short (4 hours, according to Steam) but 3 looks like it's fixing that.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Firewatch. Good feels, good game. Part of me kinda wished it was just the story about a sad guy watching for fires and talking to his boss instead of the mystery stuff, but I also liked the mystery and found it really engaging so it's cool either way.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Order: 1886. It was on sale on PSN for $5 so I figured why not. When I beat Ryse: Son of Rome last year I posted that it was decent but forgettable, that it was better at being movie than being a game, and that if I had paid more than $5 for it I probably wouldn't even be that kind to it and that's exactly how I feel about this one too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watch Dogs 2. I was planning to skip this one because of how bad the first one was, but someone here posted about how surprisingly good it was and that piqued my curiosity enough to grab it on sale. I liked it pretty well. It was kind of the standard Ubisoft open-world game, but better executed (the world feels more alive, more ways to mess with the environment and enemies, only a handful of collectibles that you really needed with the rest just being paint jobs and clothing items, etc). If you hate Ubisoft entirely this isn't going to change your mind but if you think their games are a case of "decent idea, bad execution" it's worth checking out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sniper Elite III. The recent release of 4 made me realize that I've owned this one since shortly after release but never got around to finishing it. Good but could get repetitive at times.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Finally got around to finishing the Battlefield 1 campaign that I stopped like 6 months ago. Battlefield campaigns are always good when you're in a huge battle and lame when you're just one guy or part of a small squad, and they always make you just one guy or part of a small squad for most of the game anyway, and it's crazy to me that they still hosed that up in a World War 1 game lol. The handful of scenes where you were actually in a big battle were cool, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

12.2) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - New Game+ 0%

holy crap

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. Very inconsistent, went from "just okay" to "good" and back constantly. Still decent overall but not as good as The New Order.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dishonored. I bought the sequel on sale a couple weeks back and figured I should run through the original again first since I had it sitting in my Steam library. It was a lot of fun but I wish there were more nonlethal tools.

e: now I've already beaten more games so far in 2017 than I did in the entirety of 2016. My gaming power is growing...

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 9, 2017

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dishonored 2 - Emily, low chaos, no kills. A lot of fun, I enjoyed it more than the first. Looking forward to doing a Corvo/high chaos run eventually. I think it's the first stealth game I've ever managed a no-kills run in, too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I liked it a whole lot. Don't think it will be my GOTY but it'll probably be somewhere on my best of the year list at the end.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry: Primal. I liked it despite some Ubisoft AIDS. The setting was really neat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I know they're quite different, but how does it compare to say, Ghost Recon: Wildlands? I was initially curious about FC:P prior to its release, but then...didn't see or hear anything about it, for the next months/year. (Hopefully the reason behind that isn't because it's very poorly regarded, or something! :v:)

Wildlands is the better game but I think if you liked GR:W you'd probably like Primal. I think it's one of the games where the open world actually works in its favor because the setting is cool and unique and I liked just wandering around wondering what's going to be over the next hill or watching the animals go about their business and interact with each other and other NPCs or playing Pokemon by trying to tame all the animals, and so on. I kinda get the complaints about combat being simplified and repetitive but at the same time there were a bunch of other tools to play around with like bombs, the different animal companions, riding animals, etc that it didn't kill it for me. Definitely a game to get on sale but I had enough fun to do all the missions and take all the outposts and stuff.

ArfJason posted:

its probably a competent polished reasonably budgeted game but entirely forgettable + a rehash of the formula.

oh and i heard people didnt like the melee focused combat much

Basically this, but a little more positive.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Beat all the missions of House of the Dying Sun. I liked it a lot, I see myself coming back to beat it on harder difficulties.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Prey (2017) - I liked it a lot. Stealth and combat both felt good and all the secrets and side stories were fun to find. I got the "most empathetic" ending because I'm a nice boy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Just did this as well. Story wise I really liked the ending, but I felt the last section was pretty disappointing gameplay wise. You just kinda run back and forth a bit and then it ends. There really should've been a big combat encounter or something before the final choice. I had all these fun tools and yet the hardest battle was already a few hours behind me.

Still really fun overall.

Yeah the ending of the story was great, I had guessed bits and pieces of it (there's a book or email or something about how Typhons don't feel empathy like humans and wondering about using neuromods to give Typhon human emotions that seemed too big to just be a bit of background fluff and if you choose to just bail out on the station before dealing with the Typhon the game over screen has Alex say something like "We failed, this isn't the one" and somebody else telling him to start over) but not how it would all come together and it was kinda mind-blowing. But I was so excited to finally burn through all the shotgun ammo I had been saving up and rushed towards the final objective all hepped up to kick some rear end and then that... didn't happen.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ori and the Blind Forest. Loved it. The art and soundtrack were both gorgeous and the platforming was great and pleasantly challenging. Can't wait for The Will of the Wisps. Thanks again to Action Tortoise for gifting it to me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief. I liked it, the puzzles and such were kind of standard point-and-click fare but the writing and atmosphere had a lot of charm and did a good job evoking Agatha Christie's mysteries without feeling derivative. I liked the main character a lot too and would have liked to see him get a series solving other cases if the ending to this one didn't wrap everything up so completely.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Doom (2016). I don't know how to feel about it. When it was good it was really good, but when it was bad it was really bad.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3. The basics of shooting/stabbing/sneaking felt good but everything else was janky and buggy. I liked it but I wish I had waited till it was on sale for like $30 instead of impulse-buying it at full price. The dangers of browsing the Xbox digital store at 2 in the morning...

I'll probably go back for the DLC at some point since it's all free but I'm not in a hurry to.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Dishonored (still gotta play the Daud DLC before moving on to 2)

How was Hellblade? I was thinking of getting it but went with Divinity: Original Sin 2 instead and while I think I made the right choice I'm still interested in getting Hellblade at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Strike Vector EX's campaign mode. Not bad for a low-budget sci-fi Ace Combat knockoff that I got for free. Blasting around and weaving between buildings and stuff at a million miles an hour is a lot of fun but you can't do it in combat because the weapons don't do anywhere near enough damage so you have to slow way down to make sure all your shots hit.

• Locked thread