Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fran Bow. A neat little point-and-click adventure. I wish it had stayed spooky for more of the game though, the horror was really well-done but it changes genres partway through and the spookiness is just kind of intermittent afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (100%). I think I liked it even better than the first time I played through it years ago. My nemesis at the end of the game this time around was an appropriate choice too, the first time it was some loser that shot me in the back in ambush while I was at low health and then I killed him in revenge and then again when he tried the ambush trick again later, this time it was my bitter enemy Feldûsh Pit-Fighter, it was actually an appropriate choice since we must have killed each other half a dozen times apiece before the end. See you in Hell, Feldûsh.

I'll probably try the DLC campaigns too since I haven't played those before and then get my people ready to be carried over into Shadow of War, which I'll definitely be buying soon.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. I liked it a lot, but not as much as the first one. It was a step forward in a lot of ways, but I still feel it fell kind of short, with a lot of annoying missions and a kinda dumb story. I didn't like that the world was split up into like five separate regions with their own armies instead of having one big persistent army (it irritated me enough when the first game did it with just two regions). And I agree with Lumpy's comment in the dedicated thread that if they didn't want to stick to Tolkien canon they should have just made a game in an original setting. All the stuff they tried to change or add to the existing universe was noticeably worse and less interesting than the existing canon.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Call of Duty: WWII campaign. My favorite CoD campaign in years.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Turing Test. It's a really good puzzle game. It tried to be a philosophical game but that mainly just came down to a few monologues between each level that ultimately didn't really have anything to do with the plot. A handful of neat ideas don't get expounded on and most of it's freshman-level Philosophy 101 stuff. There was a part where the main characters are talking about the concept of brainwashing and one of them says that you've already been brainwashed... by society and it made me want to barf. But it's all contained in a couple of sentences before each really fun puzzle room so it didn't really drag it down. If you have Xbox Live Gold it's definitely worth grabbing for free.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Battlefront 2 (2017)’s campaign mode. I wasn’t expecting much since I never cared for the Battlefield campaigns and just figured it would be one of those with a Star Wars skin but I actually enjoyed it. The gunplay was a lot of fun, the starfighter sections are the closest thing to a new Rogue Squadron we’re ever going to get, and the writing did a good job capturing the fun and adventure of Star Wars instead of being like some Rogue One poo poo.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 18, 2017

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Double kill: Telltale Games’ Guardians of the Galaxy. I had high hopes for it since I liked the GotG movies and if TTG can make something as good as Tales from the Borderlands out of something as lovely as the actual Borderlands games, imagine what they could make out of a decent sci-fi comedy property. It’s not my favorite game of theirs, but it’s pretty high on the list.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

No prison is worse than the one I have made for myself

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. I don't remember all the cutscenes and walking sections bothering me in The New Order like it did for a lot of people but it was absolutely miserable in this one. One scene had you walk all the way to the other end of the base to the hangar, then when you get there you refuel a chopper by walking from a fuel depot to the chopper and back three times, before walking all the way back to the beginning to start the next mission--at no point in this process is there any actual gameplay or dialogue. Then when you do finally get to an action scene it's nearly always in a series of cramped corridors that doesn't allow for any maneuvering or cool environmental stuff or fun. I only bothered finishing it out of stubbornness because I paid $30 for it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. I haven’t played this one since it first came out 5 years ago. Great game. I’ll do the DLC later, I’ve never played anything but the base game before and Nightmare in North Point sounds really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m not going to beat anything else today so I’m going to call 2017 to a close:

1. Halo: CE Anniversary - 1/1
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider - 1/6
3. Quantum Break - 1/7
4. Halo 2: Anniversary- 1/14
5. Halo 3 - 1/16
6. Halo 3: ODST - 1/19
7. Halo: Reach - 1/21
8. Halo 4 - 1/26
9. Halo 5 - 1/28
10. Divinity: Original Sin - 1/30
11. For Honor - 2/18
12. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 - 2/19
13. Firewatch - 2/20
14. The Order: 1886 - 2/26
15. Watch Dogs 2 - 3/5
16. Sniper Elite III - 3/14
17. Battlefield 1 - 3/17
18. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 4/23
19. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 4/29
20. Dishonored - 5/8
21. Dishonored 2 - 5/12
22. Ghost Recon: Wildlands - 5/22
23. Far Cry: Primal - 5/29
24. House of the Dying Sun - 6/6
25. Prey - 6/17
26. Ori and the Blind Forest - 7/4
27. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief - 7/30
28. Doom (2016) - 8/6
29. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - 8/26
30. Strike Vector EX - 9/30
31. Fran Bow - 10/13
32. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - 10/14
33. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - 10/29
34. Call of Duty: WWII - 11/4
35. The Turing Test - 11/5
36. Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017) - 11/18
37. Telltale Games’ Guardians of the Galaxy - 11/18
38. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus - 11/23
39. Sleeping Dogs - 12/31

A little disappointed with how bad I dropped off in December, but I still ended with just over twice as many games beaten this year as 2016 (when I had 19) so I’ll still call it good. Divinity: Original Sin, Prey, and Ori and the Blind Forest were my favorites of the year, with an honorable mention to Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Worst of the year was definitely Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus, nothing else even came close. Excited for what 2018 will bring.

• Locked thread