Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yep, you are totally correct. I mention shadow watch as it's a particularly extreme example of this leading to half-baked gameplay: the player characters (and enemies alike) had relatively few hit points - you could only take two or three bullets before being very dead - and because of this it was almost impossible to enter a room with just a couple of guards watching the doors. Most maps were best handled by finding a way to manipulate the enemy AI to come to you, or finding a way to operate extremely stealthily. I'm wondering if the OP will comment on how their system will avoid this kind of gameplay problem.

Not answering for them but I figure they're not going for the difficult style of gameplay Shadow Watch & Xcom has. I reckon most characters can last a lot more then a few hits so every battle doesn't turn into luring people into overdeath rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

hyperdevbox posted:

That being said, any trolls/poo poo talkers/haters will be put in the ignore list PERMANENTLY.

Are you Derek Smart

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hello we are releasing a game via crowdfunding, a venture that by definition requires a high level of transparency from our studio!

[an actual game dev asks legit questions about your dev process]

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, GAWD

like your company put you in charge of PR and you literally told a fellow game developer asking crucial questions "none of your business" :laffo:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 6 January 2017 - 0

Increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 6 January 2017 - 0

No. of days left - 23

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $239,198

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $10,399.91

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if all of their backers just upped their pledge by $10,000 they'd be almost there!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Should we take bets on if they hit 1% by the end of the campaign?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Golden Goat posted:

they will hit $802 by the end of the campaign at this rate

oh hey OP, two stickied threads! Congrats, I think it means the mo-mos appreciate what you're doing here even if most of us ingrates don't seem to.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thermidon't

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

0.5% might be giving them a fighting chance. There's no way they're tripling the amount that hasn't increased this year.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

100% sure that OP believes he gets 2 stickied threads because we actually care about the kickstarter

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

You made a new thread? Ok buddy good luck!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Reiterpallasch posted:

The thing you guys don't seem to understand about crowdfunding is that increased transparency is the price you pay for eschewing a traditional publisher. I asked those questions (okay, 3/4 of those questions) because they would be the exact questions anyone doing due diligence on you would after a pitch meeting.

In other words, hyperdevbox, you are soliciting investors for your business venture. People get to ask these questions and it is in your interest to answer them fully because potential prospective investors are reading what you write and as investors in your business, your business will be their business too. You want their money and they want to be assured that their money will be well spent.

I'm saying this because you seem to be savvy enough to recognize the importance of your target audience. I have said that a JRPG set in the French Revolution should be be of great interest to me, and to be honest I'd probably loving love a really well done game like that, but I would never invest in any campaign whose spokesperson communicates the way you do.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i was gonna write up a whole effort post for this dude on why his concept is terrible, or why his sales pitch is terrible, but it aint worth my time because he'll just throw a fit like a baby

dude eliminated any potential interest anyone in these forums would have had for his game based purely on his attitude, what a shame

also 28k equivalent in ikebukuro is doable but it ain't great, you'd have to penny pinch. if i were to move back to japan on that salary i'd find a job in osaka or kobe or something similar instead of the fifth most expensive city in the world lmao

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
thats okay i heard in japan you can also be paid in anime

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
OP with all due respect (none) hire a guy who knows proper PR and stop using the dumb defensive music guy to communicate with prospective investors because he's pretty bad at it, or maybe thats how they handle PR in Japan idk.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

boy are my arms tired posted:

i was gonna write up a whole effort post for this dude on why his concept is terrible, or why his sales pitch is terrible, but it aint worth my time because he'll just throw a fit like a baby

dude eliminated any potential interest anyone in these forums would have had for his game based purely on his attitude, what a shame

also 28k equivalent in ikebukuro is doable but it ain't great, you'd have to penny pinch. if i were to move back to japan on that salary i'd find a job in osaka or kobe or something similar instead of the fifth most expensive city in the world lmao

hyperdevbox posted:

That's OK. Some people just don't understand how to convey opinions in a proper manner.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
On a personal note to Ron/not Ron: I can understand a level of anxiety when people are leveling even legitimate criticism over something you've poured many hours into. But, by putting yourself and your company out there and asking the populace for funding (which includes everyone in this thread), you have also opened yourself up to questions, criticism and complaint. This isn't something you can avoid, but the way you handle it says volumes about you, which in turn reflects upon your company as you are their PR person.

In your case, for every question you answered legitimately there were tons more questions you replied to with snark, defensive posturing and outright unprofessional conduct; what that says to me is that you, personally, cannot be trusted to handle investments. As an appointed public relations official by your own company, this in turn means that your company cannot be trusted to handle investments.

Perhaps the most short-sighted thing here is that, seeing as the internet is an archive, no matter where you go to advertise (or in this case pander) your conduct here will be brought up every single time. Let's say you get lucky, and a games media outfit shows interest in putting out an article about your game. The first thing they are going to do is look into you and your company. A quick Google search of "Thermidor Game" will bring up this thread, and with it, many more questions that are far more pointed than anything seen here will be asked. How will you handle that?

tl;dr
Everything about your sales pitch, from your Indegogo webpage (which is busy and screams "amateur art project") to your reactions and conduct on this forum not only make me unwilling to invest, but should I hear others talking about this project at a later date, this thread will be the first thing I'll recall about this game and your company. Make me and everyone else in this thread give one drat about this game of yours, and do it in a manner that isn't pretentious or simply posting a link to a crowdfunding page. Why should you do this? Because, apparently, it's your drat job.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think we should make a new Thermidor thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sole.Sushi posted:

tl;dr
Everything about your sales pitch, from your Indegogo webpage (which is busy and screams "amateur art project") to your reactions and conduct on this forum not only make me unwilling to invest, but should I hear others talking about this project at a later date, this thread will be the first thing I'll recall about this game and your company. Make me and everyone else in this thread give one drat about this game of yours, and do it in a manner that isn't pretentious or simply posting a link to a crowdfunding page. Why should you do this? Because, apparently, it's your drat job.

uh I think you'll find it's our job to throw ourselves at the feet of HyperDongBox and loving well thank them for not only the future opportunity to play this game (and it's many successors), but for the honor to be permitted, by their infinite grace, to buy into the project.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Has anybody played any of their other games?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
OP please screenshot and post your ignore list! I need some juicy ignore list screenies!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wow looks like OP made it a whopping 3 pages this time before getting laughed out of his own stickied thread and abandoning ship

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Has anybody played any of their other games?

The games they actually made, or the games they want you to think they made but only ported?

Based on this link they sure want you to think they made Agarest War, Blazing Souls and Generation of Chaos, since they're mixed in with the games they did create. They did not. (It does, at least, tell you on the individual game pages... if you look for it.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 6, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

who the gently caress would intentionally take credit for making Agarest War

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kelp Me! posted:

Hyperdevbox, apparently.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kelp Me! posted:

To be fair it would indicate an ability to make something unbelievably, ball-crushingly complicated, which is probably a plus in game design. Gotta keep a lot of plates spinning, you know?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

To be fair it would indicate an ability to make something unbelievably, ball-crushingly complicated, which is probably a plus in game design. Gotta keep a lot of plates spinning, you know?

considering their complete lack of ability to explain the core mechanics of their project beyond "it's an FFT-style RPG" and "also if an enemy is in your way he may shoot at you even though it's not his turn" I'd say that's even more evidence they had very little to do with Agarest

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

boy are my arms tired posted:

I was more talking about the other side of that equation. Around here, an experienced C++/Java/mobile guy commands a six figure compensation package, and the first digit ain't a one.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Reiterpallasch posted:

I was more talking about the other side of that equation. Around here, an experienced C++/Java/mobile guy commands a six figure compensation package, and the first digit ain't a one.

oh lmao i didn't know that

nice

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also OP i'm probably on your ignore list but i'm a huge loving weeaboo, have beaten final fantasy v something like 22 times, and was pursuing a history minor with my senior thesis on the french revolution so if your pitch didn't work on me it's not going to work on literally anyone

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

also OP i'm probably on your ignore list but i'm a huge loving weeaboo, have beaten final fantasy v something like 22 times, and was pursuing a history minor with my senior thesis on the french revolution so if your pitch didn't work on me it's not going to work on literally anyone

So you're a game dev with experience in RPGs and a strong background in French history?

HomerDimBot, you guys need to hire this man because he will probably singlehandedly put out a better product than what you're doing

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
OP, how is it like to be an expat living the dream of moving to japan and making games?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

nerdz posted:

OP, how is it like to be an expat living the dream of moving to japan and making games?

He doesn't make games, he's in a lovely band.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

from what i can tell hyperdevbox just made a port of agarest, they had no input on the actual development of the game.

and the thing about agarest is that its a video game that exists and you can play, which is more than this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Endorph posted:

from what i can tell hyperdevbox just made a port of agarest, they had no input on the actual development of the game.

and the thing about agarest is that its a video game that exists and you can play, which is more than this.

They also all sucked real real bad so there's that

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Will there be multiple endings to this game? I imagine the bad end will have the main character dragged to the guillotine by a mob of angry peasants.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Will there be multiple endings to this game? I imagine the bad end will have the main character dragged to the guillotine by a mob of angry peasants.

That's the good ending.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

That's actually the ending of this thread

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

My favorite ending is when Ron shows up and saves the day, all mary sue style then puts the evil people who look an awful lot like everyone on his ignore list into the guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
OP, I have a legitimate question unlike all these foul-mouthed haters:

Does the rest of the development studio know they have a moronic oval office running their PR campaign?

• Locked thread