Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You know the French revolution wasn't a whimsical adventure and actually was super violent and terrifying right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

hyperdevbox posted:

I will do my best to answer all of your questions, and read your comments.

I think that Ace of Spades was Motorhead's best album, but my friend thinks it's Orgasmatron. Which of us is right?

(EDIT: Okay, serious question: Why are you targeting Android first when iOS is proven to be where the money is and where piracy is far less easily enabled?)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 8, 2017

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Axetrain posted:

You know the French revolution wasn't a whimsical adventure and actually was super violent and terrifying right?

How dare you suggest over 40,000 people were executed by being beheaded. :mad: The french revolution was a peaceful time where Marie Antoinette calmed the country of France by giving cake to needy peasants, many fun hijinks were had by all.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I can only imagine Leandre's girlfriend getting beheaded at the end of the game being the bourgeoisie scum that she is

also Leandre since his father is an ex soldier and they have property and means of production

this will be the happy ending

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 8 January 2017 - $200

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 8 January 2017 - 1

No. of days left - 21

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,998

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $11,380.86

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

on target for nearly 0.5%, gj

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I really wanna know what sucker tossed 200 dollars of their money in the garbage

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

But Not Tonight posted:

I really wanna know what sucker tossed 200 dollars of their money in the garbage

It's not flexible funding so there's no way they're not getting that back if I understand how this works correctly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's not flexible funding so there's no way they're not getting that back if I understand how this works correctly.

Uh you seem not to understand that Thermidor - Tactical JRPG - The Revolution: The Beginning - Thermidor 1789 is going to be an earth-shattering, nay, revolutionary success.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
did this poo poo seriously get stickied again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chadina posted:

Apparently they posted an update on the campaign including the juiciest part of their game, the theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgjS532bsJE

fyi near as i can tell 'maki morimoto' has never done a song for anything else ever so its entirely possible they just grabbed a random japanese person and told her to sing for them

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

fyi near as i can tell 'maki morimoto' has never done a song for anything else ever so its entirely possible they just grabbed a random japanese person and told her to sing for them

Or someone didn't want their name associated with this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Or someone didn't want their name associated with this.
or both

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I'm watching the indiegogo video now, and it's like a documentary for a Dreamcast game in 1999. In 2017, that can only work if you're Yu Suzuki. As you've not previously made any cult classics, and what you're showing is pretty generic, and 240,000 dollars is a lot, I don't think this will end in a success. :shrug: That's my quick market analysis for you.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh-ho, well then. Despite that I still wanna know who thinks this would be worth $200 with what they're shown.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

But Not Tonight posted:

Oh-ho, well then. Despite that I still wanna know who thinks this would be worth $200 with what they're shown.

They're Ron's parents

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lmao that AGDQ has raised more in like 30 minutes than this shitshow will from its entire sad campaign

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The OP has a lot of choice posts in these threads, by this is my favorite part by far. Why would you go out of your way to advertise that you are setting your game in a specific time period, but then not make any connections to historical events in its storyline? I'm a huge history nerd and I love to throw my money away when it comes to things even vaguely historical, so this part just stood out like a sore thumb to me.

For the same reason they chose the name "Thermidor" despite not being accurate to the time period: "it sounds cool in Japanese"

what more reason do you need

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

raditts posted:

For the same reason they chose the name "Thermidor" despite not being accurate to the time period: "it sounds cool in Japanese"

does it though

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Earwicker posted:

does it though

no

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Holy poo poo have you seen the reddit post and the responses?

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/5jpais/thermidor_jrpg_by_hyperdevbox_japan/

HyperDevRon posted:

Hello good sir, Have you ever planned a crowdfunding campaign or developed a video game? Where does all this knowledge come from?
Best regards, Ron

My god. This guy has the thinnest skin I've seen on a dev.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
No it's you that is being mean and hurtful. You should show more respect and be polite to the developers of Thermidor who have deigned to grace this dead gay forum with their glorious presence.

ProofTechnique
Jan 8, 2017

Baron Corbyn posted:

hyperdevbox posted:

Try again and again to find ways to fund the game.
e.g.?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Earwicker posted:

does it though

no, not at all, but it does fall in line with all the other terrible decisions they've made

ProofTechnique
Jan 8, 2017

raditts posted:

lmao that AGDQ has raised more in like 30 minutes than this shitshow will from its entire sad campaign

what more reason do you need

ギロチン

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Saxophone posted:

Holy poo poo have you seen the reddit post and the responses?

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/5jpais/thermidor_jrpg_by_hyperdevbox_japan/

My god. This guy has the thinnest skin I've seen on a dev.

Pretty much every forum said the same things or completely ignored it. Except for SA.

But we know that is because SA has true jrpg fans unlike Reddit and everywhere else.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
At first I thought "Ooh, this poor foreign dude doesn't have a really good grasp of internet tendencies, let alone the Something Awful forums", but for as much as this has developed and for as dedicated HDB as a whole seemingly have been with these and other promotions I'm assuming they're just jerks who happen to be developing a game.

Ron, this is serious advice. No insults or jokes or whatever intended.

1.) I would refrain from attempting to crowd fund your game until you have something resembling a semi-finished product. Like most kick-starters or indie go go's that I've seen (not just related to video games), there's already a tangible product ready to be used or tested that can be judged. The money requested for those is usually to generate the means to distribute or to get a hold of interest. With as little as you're presenting you'll find almost everyone saying "I can't find reason to drop $30 on this.". It sucks, you may feel underappreciated, but when marketing something to people who don't know a thing about you or your company, the burden of overwhelming them with a good product comes on you.

2.) Check out The Making Games Megathread. Note, this is NOT A PLACE TO ADVERTISE OR SHILL YOUR GAME. Do not click here pointing to your indiegogo or trying to rally supporters. This is a place to ask questions about developing and look for advice. You consistently remind people you're a small team who can't do all the poo poo a big company can. There's more and more games these days that are more or less 1-person jobs. If you're experiencing struggles in management, workforce priorities, opinions of your game's music/3D models/Storyline, this might be a place to look into.

3.) Understand that Something Awful has a paywall so a lot of people look to the forums as a place to receive a slightly more realistic and unbiased answer and discussion on subjects. It stops everyone with the limb strength of holding a tablet from jumping in to tell everyone how gay they are and which game sucks. That being said, it's not every day someone (usually with a fresh account/registration date) comes in and starts to shill a game that they support or are making. I'm sure it could be done tastefully and humbly, but I really don't see that too often. Considering the state of your current game, which is to say there's not much state to properly judge aside from anime here and there, it's a pretty easy target for mockery. If you're adamant about asking for advice here, the best thing to do is take guillotine and obviously sarcastic remarks meant to antagonize your easily antagonize-able thin skin with stride and take any and all advice with a thank you, whether you agree with it or not. (Also don't respond with too many " ;) " or " ^^ " faces, lest you set yourself up for more mockery. This is a really cute thing in Japan/Korea, but generally you'll just look like an rear end in a top hat otherwise.)

Seriously best of luck.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's a whole lotta genuine/earnest :words: for an OP that hasn't been here since page 2

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
He disappeared for quite a while in the last thread before returning to... get shirty. I'm holding out on it happening again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
FACT: Five Nights at Freddy's made $0 when it was put on Kickstarter.

I'm guessing this will not be 1,002% the success that eventually was.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I think they are going to cancel the campaign by the end of this week and re-emerge a couple of months later with the fully fleshed out tavern scene that we've all been waiting for

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lalaland posted:

I think they are going to cancel the campaign by the end of this week and re-emerge a couple of months later with the fully fleshed out tavern scene that we've all been waiting for

i would probably play a tavern simulator set during the french revolution but only if it included a guillotine

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

He disappeared for quite a while in the last thread before returning to... get shirty. I'm holding out on it happening again.

Possible but the scope of their imminent failure is probably sinking in at this point

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Axetrain posted:

Eh, in 1789 it wasn't that scary or violent.

By 1794 though, when the eponymous 9 Thermidor coup happened, it was really goddamn scary. So I am expecting the finale to this series to be a nightmarish loving whirlwind of escalating violence. (jk, I'm expecting it to never come out.)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol @ all the effort posts in this thread mk.2

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Mk 3, this is the third threadshit to stumble out of Ron's prolapsed urethra.

"Pissssssssssssss"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, in 1789 it wasn't that scary or violent.

By 1794 though, when the eponymous 9 Thermidor coup happened, it was really goddamn scary. So I am expecting the finale to this series to be a nightmarish loving whirlwind of escalating violence. (jk, I'm expecting it to never come out.)

Don't forget this is supposed to be a love story.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Devbox no one in France is called Léonce or Armandine or Emérance you loving piece of poo poo

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ayn Marx posted:

Devbox no one in France is called Léonce or Armandine or Emérance you loving piece of poo poo

Do you expect guys who wouldn't even put guillotines in a Revolutionary France game, to care about the fidelity of their characters' names?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

9 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 9 January 2017 - $200

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 9 January 2017 - 1

No. of days left - 20

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,998

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $11,999.90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Star Citizen's kickstarter had a 10k top backer tier. Thermidor - Tactical JRPG: The Juicy Screenies has a 35k tier, now this is podracing.

• Locked thread