Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Kelp Me! posted:

welcome to the ignore list, friend

i take it back, i don't get hungry when i look up lobster recipes

please don't ignore my valuable input on this exciting project that will definitely get made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Man I was reading through this getting more and more worried and then I see, right by the end, my name. I'm going to treasure this right here. :allears:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yesssssss, I made the cut. Best payoff for calling someone a oval office all week. Or maybe it was being called out for loving literal plagiarism.

Edit: the ignore list being relatively small hilariously means they're not picking up on the subtler hostility. I can't think of a single outright positive response in the thread.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 10, 2017

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

OP, how is it like to be an expat living the dream of moving to japan and making games?

It's freakin GREAT.

Sole.Sushi posted:

My favorite ending is when Ron shows up and saves the day, all mary sue style then puts the evil people who look an awful lot like everyone on his ignore list into the guillotine.

That is not a bad idea...

Rough Lobster posted:

OP is your full name Ronald? If so, why do you choose to go with the cookie-cutter nickname Ron when you could use the daring and innovative Nald?

My full name is Ron, which means "dragon" in chinese, "cheerful song" in Hebrew, and "theory" in Japanese.
Quite happy with that.

Axetrain posted:

You know the French revolution wasn't a whimsical adventure and actually was super violent and terrifying right?

Totally crazy times!

Craptacular! posted:

I think that Ace of Spades was Motorhead's best album, but my friend thinks it's Orgasmatron. Which of us is right?

(EDIT: Okay, serious question: Why are you targeting Android first when iOS is proven to be where the money is and where piracy is far less easily enabled?)

Not a big fan of Motorhead, sorry. I used to be a huge metalhead though, and Pantera for me were just the most amazing group of musicians in the world. Luckily, my taste in music has changed vastly (:
Check these guys out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjt2btKAUE

Oh, and the game will be released for iOS as well.

The Crusher posted:

At first I thought "Ooh, this poor foreign dude doesn't have a really good grasp of internet tendencies, let alone the Something Awful forums", but for as much as this has developed and for as dedicated HDB as a whole seemingly have been with these and other promotions I'm assuming they're just jerks who happen to be developing a game.

Ron, this is serious advice. No insults or jokes or whatever intended.

1.) I would refrain from attempting to crowd fund your game until you have something resembling a semi-finished product. Like most kick-starters or indie go go's that I've seen (not just related to video games), there's already a tangible product ready to be used or tested that can be judged. The money requested for those is usually to generate the means to distribute or to get a hold of interest. With as little as you're presenting you'll find almost everyone saying "I can't find reason to drop $30 on this.". It sucks, you may feel underappreciated, but when marketing something to people who don't know a thing about you or your company, the burden of overwhelming them with a good product comes on you.

2.) Check out The Making Games Megathread. Note, this is NOT A PLACE TO ADVERTISE OR SHILL YOUR GAME. Do not click here pointing to your indiegogo or trying to rally supporters. This is a place to ask questions about developing and look for advice. You consistently remind people you're a small team who can't do all the poo poo a big company can. There's more and more games these days that are more or less 1-person jobs. If you're experiencing struggles in management, workforce priorities, opinions of your game's music/3D models/Storyline, this might be a place to look into.

3.) Understand that Something Awful has a paywall so a lot of people look to the forums as a place to receive a slightly more realistic and unbiased answer and discussion on subjects. It stops everyone with the limb strength of holding a tablet from jumping in to tell everyone how gay they are and which game sucks. That being said, it's not every day someone (usually with a fresh account/registration date) comes in and starts to shill a game that they support or are making. I'm sure it could be done tastefully and humbly, but I really don't see that too often. Considering the state of your current game, which is to say there's not much state to properly judge aside from anime here and there, it's a pretty easy target for mockery. If you're adamant about asking for advice here, the best thing to do is take guillotine and obviously sarcastic remarks meant to antagonize your easily antagonize-able thin skin with stride and take any and all advice with a thank you, whether you agree with it or not. (Also don't respond with too many " ;) " or " ^^ " faces, lest you set yourself up for more mockery. This is a really cute thing in Japan/Korea, but generally you'll just look like an rear end in a top hat otherwise.)

Seriously best of luck.

Thank you for the good advice, I agree with a lot of what you said.
I will check out the Making Games thread, thanks!
And yes, we are well aware of our current situation, and are looking at all of our options.

Stumpus posted:

Don't you know that the jerky guy isn't Ron? Ron is the cool guy who posts and is super knowledgeable.

:blush:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hyperdevbox posted:

1) Who said we weren't spending money on advertising? And as mentioned a few times already, KS doesn't accept Japanese accounts, so we went with Indiegogo.
2) Ignoring your sting at the end there, flexible funding is not for big budget games like Thermidor. our goal is the amount needed in order for us to be able to complete the game, and there is no point on settling for anything less than that.

I agree. But for the moment, any updates in the development of the game (gameplay, battle system, etc') will have to be announced as updates to the campaign page. Thermidor and its campaign is a work in progress, and we are sharing every single step in the development and completion of the game.

That's a very valid point you make. I hate it when in certain games you have to rely on a specific aspect of the game in order to finish it, and can't play more freely and actually THINK of original ways to complete a stage.
Some TD games have this problem, where if you don't place towers on a specific place on the map, or if you don't use your budget precisely like the developer intended you to use, you can't complete the level. This totally sucks, and leaves no room from strategic planning, but just leaves you trying to figure out what the developer of the game wanted you to do.
In Thermidor's case, we are planning on having our "DAS" feature be part of the game in a balanced manner, rather than something you rely on in order to succeed in the game. As much as we want this game to be challenging for the player, at the same time we want it to be fun.
There will be many ways in which one can approach an enemy without being detected - having another group member do something to distract, or perhaps throwing an object to a different location on the stage.
Also, the whole "getting detected by the enemy" thing will be a matter of probability in Thermidor. Certain paths will have a higher percentage of getting detected, while others less.

Thank you ?

That guy was fired.
Until we hire any PR guy or gal, I will try and do my best.
Wish me luck?

aw only #9? was hoping to crack the top 5 at least :sigh:

also this is a hilarious amount of words for a game that does not, and will not, exist

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Case in point.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm trying to decide if this is an actual new guy or if the same old guy actually learned something but will eventually head right back down that defensive and bitter path.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Saxophone posted:

I'm trying to decide if this is an actual new guy or if the same old guy actually learned something but will eventually head right back down that defensive and bitter path.

It better be the same old guy. Account sharing is bannable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ron, why did you name your band Balangist? That sounds suspiciously similar to Falangist.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Ron, why did you name your band Balangist? That sounds suspiciously similar to Falangist.

Balaganist means "messy person" in Hebrew.
And sounds nothing like Falangist...

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We've been working on an animated intro for Thermidor, which shows the events preceding the start of the game.
It is still a draft, but check it out, and let me know your thoughts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgjS532bsJE

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 10, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Why didn't you just make an anime?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How do you envision the final quality intro?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Why didn't you just make an anime?

also this

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How do you envision the final quality intro?

We will do our best to make it look absolutely beautiful!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hyperdevbox posted:

We will do our best to make it look absolutely beautiful!

C'mon man, gimme some deets I can really sink my teeth into.

And if you know Hebrew and love games for nerds, you might want to check out the forums game Paradise Lost. We're deciding the best way to kill a giant scorpion creature because it doesn't love El.

Now that's a JRPG setting I'd be heavily into. France is cool, but drat, totally ripped muscle dudes, giant monsters and stuff? Piety and all that kinda noise? Intrigue? Secrets? No real idea what's going on around you? Could rock the world of tactical Japanese role playing games.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'd play the heck out of a Paradise Lost RPG.

And immediately go down the path of everyone's favourite hungry fish-god. :unsmigghh:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
El's the only real god, now you must die. Expect to be hewn in half with this sword reforged out of armor pieces from a hundred decadent mighty men who also turned away from El. (I miss the Judah game)

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

C'mon man, gimme some deets I can really sink my teeth into.

And if you know Hebrew and love games for nerds, you might want to check out the forums game Paradise Lost. We're deciding the best way to kill a giant scorpion creature because it doesn't love El.

Now that's a JRPG setting I'd be heavily into. France is cool, but drat, totally ripped muscle dudes, giant monsters and stuff? Piety and all that kinda noise? Intrigue? Secrets? No real idea what's going on around you? Could rock the world of tactical Japanese role playing games.

Sorry, there aren't many deets I can give you about the animation. We've created this draft with the music for now, and at some point will continue working on it. Right now, to be honest, we are working on more important things, such as - Changing the dialogue screen characters to a better looking 2D character animation, and on other parts of the game that will better showcase it.

Regarding the giant scorpion monster, there is only one way to kill him - build a giant guillotine and lure him to it using a freshly boiled lobster!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Are you actually working on the game? Are you a programmer in addition to a musician? Truly a modern day renaissance man.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Are you actually working on the game? Are you a programmer in addition to a musician? Truly a modern day renaissance man.

Thank you!
Actually, I do a lot here at HyperDevbox, but programming is not one of them.
When the game gets funded (one way or another), all I will be doing is focusing on creating a great soundtrack for the game, and that is where my real passion is.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Devbox I'm going to have to ask you to leave

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

hyperdevbox posted:

Sorry, there aren't many deets I can give you about the animation. We've created this draft with the music for now, and at some point will continue working on it. Right now, to be honest, we are working on more important things, such as - Changing the dialogue screen characters to a better looking 2D character animation, and on other parts of the game that will better showcase it.

Regarding the giant scorpion monster, there is only one way to kill him - build a giant guillotine and lure him to it using a freshly boiled lobster!

Woah a guillotine joke?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
devbox I'm gonna ignore you, serious replies only i'm afraid

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait so the guy who started the threads got fired? And now the composer is doing PR? Hey man, if you're gonna give this whole PR thing another shot maybe take everyone off your ignore list and give actual interaction another shot. If you want to do better than the last guy, step 1 is to take your fingers out of your ears and realize that maybe the giant list of people who offended the last guy actually had some valid things to say!

Someone who's not ignored quote dis so my homeslice Ron can see it

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

Wait so the guy who started the threads got fired? And now the composer is doing PR? Hey man, if you're gonna give this whole PR thing another shot maybe take everyone off your ignore list and give actual interaction another shot. If you want to do better than the last guy, step 1 is to take your fingers out of your ears and realize that maybe the giant list of people who offended the last guy actually had some valid things to say!

This Kelp Me! guy seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

hyperdevbox posted:

We've been working on an animated intro for Thermidor, which shows the events preceding the start of the game.

I brought this up before but I'm not really sure how we're supposed to relate to a criminal protagonist (not some random oppressive raid as evidence by him running from the tavern at the sight of the constabulary who don't start smashing the tavern up and instead give chase) who commits another crime against someone in a lower economic bracket (son of successful tavern owners who can afford to waste considerable quantities of food for a good chuckle) as he avoids responsibility for his actions just because he got some chick's handkerchief and saw her get pushed into a carriage without context (they could have been her bodyguards/household guards). I mean already I have an active dislike of the protagonist just from that in-progress intro based purely upon his behavior.

His character actually seems to be kind of a repugnant egotist and possible sociopath.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Account sharing is a bannable offense

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Justin Credible posted:

I brought this up before but I'm not really sure how we're supposed to relate to a criminal protagonist (not some random oppressive raid as evidence by him running from the tavern at the sight of the constabulary who don't start smashing the tavern up and instead give chase) who commits another crime against someone in a lower economic bracket (son of successful tavern owners who can afford to waste considerable quantities of food for a good chuckle) as he avoids responsibility for his actions just because he got some chick's handkerchief and saw her get pushed into a carriage without context (they could have been her bodyguards/household guards). I mean already I have an active dislike of the protagonist just from that in-progress intro based purely upon his behavior.

His character actually seems to be kind of a repugnant egotist and possible sociopath.

I'm really confused why he stole the apple. He works/lives in a tavern which serves food.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still Ron that put you on ignore. The 'first guy' must be pre-juicy screenies era.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still Ron that put you on ignore. The 'first guy' must be pre-juicy screenies era.

His very first post introduces himself as Ron.

He also PMed me a link to his SoundCloud for some reason

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dear hyperdevbox, as a moderator of this place I'd like to ask you to give me a list of all people who controlled the Something Awful user account of Hyperdevbox, preferably with a timeline. It's an official request for statistical purposes. Thank you.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

His very first post introduces himself as Ron.

He also PMed me a link to his SoundCloud for some reason

There is a reason it's called a "Private Message", so it is not to be shared publicly.
But you had to go and do that... with a screenshot and all! :doh:
The reason I sent you a link to one of my band's tracks is because you said it was lovely (I'm presuming before even listening to it), so I thought that maybe after you gave it a listen you might change your mind.
But now you've ruined all of that, so never mind.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Look what you've done, man. You loving blew it. We have to call forums police now, I'm sorry.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hyperdevbox posted:

The reason I sent you a link to one of my band's tracks is because you said it was lovely (I'm presuming before even listening to it), so I thought that maybe after you gave it a listen you might change your mind.

I didn't.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

do you read your own thread? we've been talking about whatever this is supposed to be since you posted it on your failing IGG campaign.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hyperdevbox posted:

There is a reason it's called a "Private Message", so it is not to be shared publicly.
But you had to go and do that... with a screenshot and all! :doh:
But now you've ruined all of that, so never mind.

lol we don't go to the attic you call a games studio and copy/paste the unity assets into your games so don't come to our forums and tell us how we can use our private messaging system, thanks

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You didn't what?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hyperdevbox posted:

You didn't what?

Change my mind

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

fuckin reading comprehension is hard bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Change my mind

OK!

Anyway, the 2D animations for the dialogue screen are looking good, and it looks like we should be able to showcase them by Thursday!
We have also added some new cooler looking images to better introduce the characters, and also an improved timeline showing the first four battle stages.

I'll keep you updated!

• Locked thread