Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
At first I thought "Ooh, this poor foreign dude doesn't have a really good grasp of internet tendencies, let alone the Something Awful forums", but for as much as this has developed and for as dedicated HDB as a whole seemingly have been with these and other promotions I'm assuming they're just jerks who happen to be developing a game.

Ron, this is serious advice. No insults or jokes or whatever intended.

1.) I would refrain from attempting to crowd fund your game until you have something resembling a semi-finished product. Like most kick-starters or indie go go's that I've seen (not just related to video games), there's already a tangible product ready to be used or tested that can be judged. The money requested for those is usually to generate the means to distribute or to get a hold of interest. With as little as you're presenting you'll find almost everyone saying "I can't find reason to drop $30 on this.". It sucks, you may feel underappreciated, but when marketing something to people who don't know a thing about you or your company, the burden of overwhelming them with a good product comes on you.

2.) Check out The Making Games Megathread. Note, this is NOT A PLACE TO ADVERTISE OR SHILL YOUR GAME. Do not click here pointing to your indiegogo or trying to rally supporters. This is a place to ask questions about developing and look for advice. You consistently remind people you're a small team who can't do all the poo poo a big company can. There's more and more games these days that are more or less 1-person jobs. If you're experiencing struggles in management, workforce priorities, opinions of your game's music/3D models/Storyline, this might be a place to look into.

3.) Understand that Something Awful has a paywall so a lot of people look to the forums as a place to receive a slightly more realistic and unbiased answer and discussion on subjects. It stops everyone with the limb strength of holding a tablet from jumping in to tell everyone how gay they are and which game sucks. That being said, it's not every day someone (usually with a fresh account/registration date) comes in and starts to shill a game that they support or are making. I'm sure it could be done tastefully and humbly, but I really don't see that too often. Considering the state of your current game, which is to say there's not much state to properly judge aside from anime here and there, it's a pretty easy target for mockery. If you're adamant about asking for advice here, the best thing to do is take guillotine and obviously sarcastic remarks meant to antagonize your easily antagonize-able thin skin with stride and take any and all advice with a thank you, whether you agree with it or not. (Also don't respond with too many " ;) " or " ^^ " faces, lest you set yourself up for more mockery. This is a really cute thing in Japan/Korea, but generally you'll just look like an rear end in a top hat otherwise.)

Seriously best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Ron's name appears for
the first time a year before
The French Revolution broke out.

Many devs who returned from work,
had no skills, l i t t l e d o n a t i o n s,
and even less loyalty to the forums.

Many became posters and
shills plotting indie gogo's
For 8 months straight.

At that time shitposting and
juicy screenies were commonplace in HyperDevBox.
Many Mo mo's and
Sticky'd threads came out of there.
And Something Awful was no exception either.

=========================
Chapter 1: THE MEAGER GAME
=========================

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

staberind posted:

I got a good feeling!

Blame yourself or Ron.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Thermidor reviving Suikoden minigame staple chinchirorin. Day Negative Eleven Hundred Buy.

Another game with piss in it.

• Locked thread