Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

boy are my arms tired posted:

i was gonna write up a whole effort post for this dude on why his concept is terrible, or why his sales pitch is terrible, but it aint worth my time because he'll just throw a fit like a baby

dude eliminated any potential interest anyone in these forums would have had for his game based purely on his attitude, what a shame

also 28k equivalent in ikebukuro is doable but it ain't great, you'd have to penny pinch. if i were to move back to japan on that salary i'd find a job in osaka or kobe or something similar instead of the fifth most expensive city in the world lmao

hyperdevbox posted:

That's OK. Some people just don't understand how to convey opinions in a proper manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Reiterpallasch posted:

also OP i'm probably on your ignore list but i'm a huge loving weeaboo, have beaten final fantasy v something like 22 times, and was pursuing a history minor with my senior thesis on the french revolution so if your pitch didn't work on me it's not going to work on literally anyone

have you not seen the juicy screenies?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I don't know what you guys are complaining about

this only makes me more excited for Thermmeirrd - Tactical Tavern Simulator

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Ayn Marx posted:

OP as a French person l have to ask: why do you hate my country? Why must you sully the very soul of our great nation with this sub-moronic degenerate trash-fire farcical deplorable sick filth? What have we done to you? Why OP??

they are role playing as japanese people. you wouldn't understand.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

BluJay posted:

Speaking as someone with 15 years of experience working in AAA game development,:

Ah ha ha ha ha HA HA HA H͈̥A H̰̖̘͕̺A̟͙̙̞͟ ҉̞̠̹͙͚HA̲̭͓̖ ̘̖̙̼͓̝H̝̙̻̳͍̪̪́A H̶̖̗̺͕À̴̴̱̹ ̠̗̩̦͚́Ḩ̨͕̰͕̹͉̭Ḁ̱̻̀ ͙̻̯̦̲͉̖H͓̤̝̝͉͢͡A̶̛̗̮̮͍͉͖̙̫ ̢̺̙̤̼͓͈̻H̸͎̥̺͇͞A̛̮͈͘͜ H͏͜͏̵͎̳̗͔̝͙͉͇̭̮͕̦͔͡ͅͅA̴̢̕͜҉̲̜͉̱̘̠͕͎͓͚̟̟̱͔̻̲̖͇ ͏̬͕͍͎͉͚̦̟̦̞̝H̡͇̥̟̭͇͉̗̻͈͡A̶̶͏̕͏̞̥͔̫̯̪͕͔̙͉̯̤̻ͅ ͉͚̺͖̯̀͟H̵͉̼̭̳͎̩̪̺́͘͡À̙̯̩̳̹̩̙̯̩̲̳̰͍̖̱̰ ̵̡̡̟̯̳̝̗̝̥̖̯͍͇͔̥̹͉̯̯͉͢͢H̶̥̮͈̰̦̥̘̝̟̭͚͚͉͙̭͉͍̳̕ͅÀ̸̸̢̝̭͙̮͔̭͉͎̥͙͓͉̕

Hyperdevbox, I know you guys are trying and it can be hard to be a little indie studio especially in the mobile market where advertising makes you king, not quality; you're in for a tough ride. I guarantee you the crowdfunding won't be successful. The fact that the only place actively talking about your game is this dead comedy forum where people are just making fun of you should have been the number one sign before your crowdfunding went live. It's super sucky when you put your eggs into one basket hoping that it will catch people's attention and get you money so you can keep doing what you poured your heart into, but raging against people here isn't going to help any of that.

Actually looking at your videos, I can see that there is some game play logic made, though it's hard to tell how much, a lot of things described in text are shown with a messy sketch instead of seen in game, where it might actually impress someone. The key to crowdfunding is to impress people. Since you don't have any big names working with you, or any previous memorable games, you can't ride on name recognition. You want to show them why they would want to pay for something in the hope that it might come out, and what we have is some bland looking character models in one simple looking environment with flat lighting and then a bunch of messy sketches that look they were done as rough drafts and were then plopped in super quick instead of making them look nice. The whole thing feels shoddy.

For your own sanity's sake, close the indie go go, figure out what makes your game interesting and worth people's money and relaunch with that, or look for other sources of funding. Until then, I'm just going to keep laughing at you, cause this is really funny.

wow! rude and uncalled for! YOU should have spent less time in AAA game development and more time creating crowdfunding campaigns if you wanted anyone to take you seriously. you're getting ignored, sucker.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
Here is a list of the main titles we have developed:
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

to be fair, you really shouldn't be telling people you developed those. stick with ported, it looks better

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

hyperdevbox posted:

Isn't that better than having no experience at all?
no

quote:

Are you saying that you would only consider backing a game by a company that already has experience in developing games in the same genre?
yes

quote:

That doesn't make any sense to me.
you seem to have this problem a lot

quote:

But the only thing we need right now is support from people who would like to see this game come to life.
all 30 of them have donated to you already

quote:

But I don't see the point in saying things like "I'm as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far", as if you're expecting a big thank you from us for being the "only" guy who supports us.
:smugjones:
did you rehire the guy that was fired? this smugness is a good way to lose your 30 fans

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

nerdz posted:

There was never a firing or a hiring. It was always ron, it always will be.

oh no

have I been bamboozled by ron?

ron, what do you have to say for yourself? how could you trick your loyal fans

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

The Crusher posted:

Ron's name appears for
the first time a year before
The French Revolution broke out.

Many devs who returned from work,
had no skills, l i t t l e d o n a t i o n s,
and even less loyalty to the forums.

Many became posters and
shills plotting indie gogo's
For 8 months straight.

At that time shitposting and
juicy screenies were commonplace in HyperDevBox.
Many Mo mo's and
Sticky'd threads came out of there.
And Something Awful was no exception either.

=========================
Chapter 1: THE MEAGER GAME
=========================

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
start a thread about your job

it'll be difficult for you to become as revered as ron, but you seem to be cut from the same cloth. you've got what it takes, I believe in you

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

boy are my arms tired posted:

Palpek, could we get Fructidor in the OP? I've never even heard of this Thermidor but I think its a ripoff of Fructidor, a game that exists and I have beaten, even.

agreed. it's pretty rude of the people involved.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Lord Banana posted:

Isn't that only 1% by rounding? Surely actual 1% is achieved at $2400. Not that I doubt the meteoric rise of this glorious tribute to Revolutionary France of course. It already has a fruit based fan game after all!

thermidor is the anime version of fructidor, not the other way around. please check the release dates.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
probably on a lot of anime pillows

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I think the game is perfect for a single player campaign with a bunch of different maps (Bastille, Versailles...) but I'll do a first round of polishing and fixing what's already there and making it more fun before I add anything major. I'm thinking a general tightening up of the controls and speeding up of the gameplay. So:

Here is v 1.0 of the FRUIT (FRUctidor Improvement Table)

Controls:
-Switch from mouse to gamepad controls (or make it an option). Left stick to move the guillotine, right stick to rotate the blade. Right trigger to slice fruit, Left trigger to throw fruit. Pressing harder/longer on the trigger increases the throwing power.

Camera:
-Remove the wobbly circular track camera
-Instead Two camera modes to switch between. 1: Fixed camera at an isometric angle for slicing fruit. 2: Catapult-style camera for throwing things. Will need to test this out to find something good.

Slicing:
-Speed up the guillotine a bit at the start, right now it feels like you need powerups to control well, which might not be a good design decision.

Throwing:
-Make it easiser to control how hard you throw and to make accurate throws. It's a bit too unpredictable now. You should be able to pinpoint throw a bomb to the head of a peasant half the map away if you're good, which you currently can't.
-Make the throwing mechanism visible and sort of logical. I'm thinking like a big spoon-catapult-like thing that rotates and scoops away fruit
-Throwing gizmo, like the slicer gizmo, to give you some sort of reference to what's going on.

Cake Making:
-More direct feedback on if you slice the right kind of fruit or not. Right now you have to wait until the sliced fruit reaches the end of the belt, which can take a while, before you know you hosed up.
-Fruit should fall directly through the conveyor belt when sliced and into some kind of secondary chute that leads to the cake. This should improve visual clarity greatly.
-Add a button for opening a hole in the cake chute, before the fruit reaches the cake. This will give you the option of clearing a portion of the chute and avoid the wrong kind of fruit getting on your cake.

Fruit:
-Add a few more fruits. Not too many at this point but something green would be nice. The four kinds in the game were all the not-godawful models I could find by googling "FREE APPLE 3D MODEL DOWNLOAD".

Bugs/General:
-Fix wave 25 bug and make the game finishable.
-Game tries to start in VR headset, oops. (Comedy option: add VR support)
-Improve physics and AI performance (I had to cut back on the number of on-screen fruit because of this. I'd ideally like the game to be a clusterfuck of fruit, cake and peasants everywhere)

I hope I can iterate this into something a bit more snappy and easy to pick up. I'll also try to get some help with sound, music and art.

Progress will probably not be super fast since I have a lot of non-Fructidor-related things going on at the moment, but I'll keep you posted and hopefully you can eventually get at least one finished game out of this thread!

quoting important Fructidor info for the new page

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Scruffyhawk posted:

Sorry for the off topic post (this being the Fructidor thread and all) but Boxed Clams Development has rolled out a game changing referral program that will surely mark the beginning of a massive influx of IGG cash:

http://hyperdevbox.com/?page_id=5630

I was worried they'd get discouraged by such a blatant attempt to sabotage this thread, so I sent them some encouraging fan mail with the form on this page

Thermidor_Fan1999 posted:

Hello, i/m very a fan! Let me preface this letter by say i am a master degree in psychology and i am always diagnosed with any psychotic disorder. i am write to you because i am hole up in my apartment for two day and night watching thermidor indie go go promotion video. i am in love it all. after done i watch an interview. right now i am fantasizing about having a sex with a guillotine and for Ron to watching. i not sure what you're role would be Ron but i think i wnat you there. come on it would be good time. i have donated $50 instead of buy food. please make a guillotine girl for mating.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

OneTwentySix posted:

Hey guys, here's an actual Thermidor game that someone made!

http://www.allfungirlsgames.com/play-game/make-lobster-thermidor/

hyperdevbox was contracted to make a prequel to this. that's why it's called the beginning!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Story, 2 days ago early morning i tested thermidor, So about a 2 hours in and im just sitting on my carpet staring at it, watching the anime, then i see a big rear end guillotine(about 1.5 meters large)in the corner of my eye, didnt think anything of it, i honestly thought is was not real because it was a glowing pink color, then i felt a tickle on my right side and then a pinch.
i got up so drat fast that i almost tripped, after that lil stumble i thought i was dying from guillotine venom that just entered me and it scared the living poo poo outa me, i look on the floor to see if the guillotine is still around and i could of sworn i loving saw like 300 baby guillotines, so i ran to my living room couch and laid down into a fetal position and started to repeat "im okay" for a very long time as my dogs tried to hump me, the funny part was chant du départ was playing the whole time on a loop
After the revolution was over i went to a doc and he gave me a antianime. I mean the revolution dont sound that insane, i bet the whole nightmare part lasted a hour before i calmed myself down, but it felt like ages and i thought i was ganna die. Now i get anxiety before i sleep because that guillotine is still lurking in my room, i was thinking about using cakes for that, because im trying to avoid fruits because my area had high rear end prices per piece and dont do bulk

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
they'll have to start a crowdfunding campaign to afford a lawyer, but they've got experience so no worries there

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
can someone else at hyperdevbox please confirm ron is still alive and not captured by the lizard people?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
spooked by ron's absence, obviously

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
ron, be honest, are you secretly a lizard person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU