Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Has anybody played any of their other games?

The games they actually made, or the games they want you to think they made but only ported?

Based on this link they sure want you to think they made Agarest War, Blazing Souls and Generation of Chaos, since they're mixed in with the games they did create. They did not. (It does, at least, tell you on the individual game pages... if you look for it.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kelp Me! posted:

who the gently caress would intentionally take credit for making Agarest War

Hyperdevbox, apparently.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reiterpallasch posted:

does an ipo count as crowdfunding

That's just regular funding.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nerdz posted:

My lava lamp game is based in ancient rome during Mt. Vesuvius eruption. Our plucky main character scampers away from the lava and snatches an apple from a fruit vendor dying in agony

Historically inaccurate!

Vesuvius would've cooked Pompeii and Herculaneum in under a second once the heat surge arrived. It would be too fast to hurt if you were outside.

Now people hidden in basements that got killed by collapsing roofs, that's a different story.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Thursday Next posted:

This is a good example of why I still love my dead gay forums - I actually learn poo poo here. Who knew I'd learn a fact about the Vesuvius explosion in a thread about a JRPG?

In that case, have some bonus education. I'm not an expert, but I remember some of the articles when the new findings were reported.

The pyroclastic surge is what would have killed the people outside in Pompeii. A pyroclastic surge is a mass of gas, ash, and rock fragments that moves almost like a fluid; it's a lighter version of a pyroclastic flow, but a surge has more volcanic gases and can more easily roil uphill and around obstacles. They can move up to about 250-300 miles per hour; the Mount St. Helens pyroclastic surges were in that range. There's a few kinds and stages of pyroclastic surges, but because of the time since Vesuvius the results are kind of mixed together by now.

When the bodies were first found buried in pyroclastic junk, they were believe to have writhed in agony because they're in unusual positions and sometimes contorted. More studies suggested that what happened is that the thermal shock from the base surge hit and killed them immediately - the surge Vesuvius would have produced would probably have been in the 600F range, and moving 250+ miles per hour. This knocks people and objects over, and also causes a spasm in dead bodies when it does really unpleasant things to cell structure (and the water in muscle cells) called the cadaveric spasm; it causes the muscles to seize and then lock, like extremely rapid rigor mortis. Then they were buried and twisted around by the movement of the ash-cloud parts of the pyroclastic surges, which hit with more force and can bury things as they lead into the ground surge stage.

All of this is more educational than anything in Thermidor.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 12, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sdoots posted:

Getting hit by a pyroclastic surge is more educational and probably more pleasant than Thermidor. You heard it here folks.

Maybe there should be a volcano in Thermidor. It wouldn't be any less historically inaccurate. Thermaldor.

As an aside to hyperdevbox so I'm sort of on topic: I wanted to like the concept, because I love history and also RPGs, but sadly you couldn't grab me for the reasons previously mentioned in this thread and the one you ditched. Maybe try again some year, after some real hard work.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kelp Me! posted:

hahahahahahaha

Well, yeah, that's about the response I expect...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's been a long-rear end time since school but who would read a series of effortposts on the revolution, if this thread is still alive in like a week or so

the french revolution is legit one of the most interesting spans of human history and i wouldn't want anyone to go away thinking it was just guillotines and bad jrpg pitches

100% would.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
Here is a list of the main titles we have developed:
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression you released a few games, and wanted to make people think you had more to do with the others you only ported than you did, too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hyperdevbox posted:

We don't "want to make people think" anything. We are transparent about everything we've done.

This is a portion of your Android games page. Specifically it's the bottom part of this one, found by going to Games --> Android on your menu.

You have mixed in games you have created with games you have only ported. Hell, the Agarest War one says 'Developed & Published by HYPERDEVBOX JAPAN'. Meanwhile, there's no text whatsoever that says you did different things for LoveCatch and Spectral Souls, or Generation of Chaos, or Blazing Souls. While it does give credit when you go to the actual specific game page (in a single line like '©2014 IDEA FACTORY/COMPILE HEART/RED. Developed and published by HYPERDEVBOX'), how is this not somewhat deceptive at first glance? Saying you developed this one conflicts with your post here, doesn't it?

hyperdevbox posted:

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
Here is a list of the main titles we have developed:
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

Basically, I think that, though you haven't precisely lied, you're certainly making the very deliberate choice to obscure how involved (or not) you are with the production of these games. When most other companies do this, they generally state whether they were only involved in a port or publishing or the whole creative process. They might even think to do something like mention the actual company that created these games on other platforms on their index page, or maybe have two indexes - in your case one with the five games you listed in your post, and one with everything else.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 13, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GunnerJ posted:

I mean, that would "explain" how they think Google is a "partner," but what about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? How...? :psyduck:

Well, since they made Indy 500 Arcade Racing, that means they worked together, and that makes them partners!

Clearly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lonos Oboe posted:

I just came in here and read a goodly amount of this thread without prejudice and it really makes the devs look like a bunch of dopes seriously in over their heads. They offer now offer half baked platitudes and passive aggressive responses instead of the outward hostile ones of earlier. To reiterate what has been said, they should really just shut this thing down and come back with a more fleshed out product. Some amazing games have started by posting their pitches on SA and I just could not imagine pitching here unless my poo poo was polished. But they just continued with the pathetic shill. It's amazing.

Sometimes this forum is good to me.

This is actually the second thread. Did you read the first one, which they eventually closed down when they got answers they did not like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think the most impressive part is that he managed to make the edit precisely one month, to the minute, after the original posting.

• Locked thread