Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:Latest episode: 64 - I'm Still in a Dream

I love From Software's Souls series. The Souls games are a series of action RPGs that punish impulsiveness and reward meticulous play and careful observation and it generally feels really good to overcome challenges in these games. Just looking at my Steam library, I've put in almost 200 hours into the PC versions of Dark Souls 1-3 alone, which isn't even getting into the hours I've poured into the PS3 versions. Last year, I did a blind stream-LP of Demon's Souls, which you can find here, and I had a lot of fun with it! As far as the series goes, however, that's basically all I planned to play, since this game is a PS4 exclusive and I had no plans to pick one up. Things changed over the holidays, so I decided to do another blind steam LP!

Generally, these games tend to have a medieval setting, but Bloodborne does something a little different and is set in a slightly more contemporary era, that of Victorian Era London. Gone are the shields and armor of the other Souls games, as this game's arsenal features weapons like guns and canes. The game rewards a very different style of play from the other Souls games - hiding behind a shield is no longer an option, so instead, emphasis is on dodging around attacks and staggering foes by shooting them. It still feels like a Souls game, but trying to play it like one will get you killed. It looks and feels very stylish once it all clicks though!

This is a blind LP of Bloodborne where I'm regularly joined by my friends liquidypoo, his cat, casnorf, Jobbo_Fett, LP Superstar Artix, and occasionally CJacobs. It's also a livestream LP, so I'll make posts here and a few other places, such as my Twitter when we're planning to stream and when we plan to go live. I tend to stream at my beam channel, but that is subject to change. Tentatively, streams will happen on Tuesday nights around 7 PM EST, with updates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That is subject to change depending on life.

Those of you who have watched my previous blind Demon's Souls LP may remember that the first couple of sessions had a little gimmick where liquidy would read stories from PYF Food Industry Horror Stories upon my deaths - we ran out of stories partway through the LP, but we've sourced some more now so storytime is back for the forseeable future!

This is a Souls game, and invasions are a major part of the series, though Bloodborne's implementation is... poor, to say the least. I'll keep the OP updated with my current level and I'll mention what my current level is when I stream, but I might not be open to invasions if I haven't rung the Beckoning Bell. I might not always want to do co-op, so I tend to not have the bell rung, which also closes me off from invasions.

Also, let's talk spoiler policy: If we haven't seen it in a video or it hasn't been discussed, don't talk about it! Don't do spoiler bars either. This is a blind LP and I would like for it to remain that way.

Playlist

Session 1: Welcome to Yharnam

Session 2 (Feat. CJacobs): Gascoigne

Session 3: Old Yharnam

Session 4: Bag Town

Session 5: Hemwick Charnel

Session 6: Forbidden Woods, Part 1

Session 7: Forbidden Woods, Part 2

Session 8: So, you like to play Castlevania

Session 9: Byrgenwerth

Alt Audio version

Session 10: Yahar'gul, Unseen Village

Session 11: Altar of Despair

Session 12 (feat. CJacobs): The Old Hunters

Session 13: RC Pinball

Session 14 (feat. CJacobs): The Orphan of Kos

Session 15 (feat. CJacobs): Nightmare of Mensis

Session 16: The First Hunter

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

ChaosArgate posted:

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

SPOILER: Argate dies, and everyone makes fun of him. A lot.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
While we don't claim that this is an exhaustive LP by any means, we're going to try and show as much stuff as possible between the three-ish of us. Once we get past this first session and Argate gets his proper character back, he's running a dex build, and liquidy and I are doing strength with a bloodtinge (liquidy) and arcane (me) secondary. We'll be popping in from time to time for either co-op or invasions, so keep an eye out for us!

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

SPOILER: Argate dies, and everyone makes fun of him. A lot.

Wow, rude!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I enjoy watching people die in souls games. Have I come to the right place?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dunno if you guys realize this later, but it's not necessary for Argate to actually have a helper to be invaded, he just needs to ring the bell for opening up summons in order to be invaded.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, this has potential to be downright beautiful.
edit: Could see the gimmick becoming pretty annoying, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 7, 2017

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The Demon Souls stream was fun. I've never played that game.

I've gotten the Plat for Bloodborne. This will be amazing to watch.

Strength/Arcane best build.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Genocyber posted:

Dunno if you guys realize this later, but it's not necessary for Argate to actually have a helper to be invaded, he just needs to ring the bell for opening up summons in order to be invaded.

I think the point was that "trying to summon someone" is the act that opens you to invasion in this game. As opposed to Dark Souls where just being human is enough even if you don't try to summon anyone.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Suaimhneas posted:

I think the point was that "trying to summon someone" is the act that opens you to invasion in this game. As opposed to Dark Souls where just being human is enough even if you don't try to summon anyone.

Also except for fairly late-game mechanic, the only time he's going to ring the bell is when he's summoning help.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Whose cat was that?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Whose cat was that?

Liquidy's. His cat really wants to be e-famous. :v:

Artix posted:

Also except for fairly late-game mechanic, the only time he's going to ring the bell is when he's summoning help.

I suppose I could also just ring the bell from the word go, but I don't want to open myself up to unwanted co-op, nor do I want to keep pulling out the separation crystal-equivalent. :shrug:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

White Coke posted:

Whose cat was that?

Dammit, my cat became an LP superstar before I could. I'll never join the ranks of Blind Sally and Nine-Gear Crow at this rate :negative:

crow's LP superstardom was almost this thick

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 8, 2017

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

liquidypoo posted:

Dammit, my cat became an LP superstar before I could.
Bert's got more screentime than me, man. Didn't he guest in Cubivore and Brain Lord, too?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Bert is clearly the best part of the LP, but I really enjoy Bloodborne LPs so I'll stick around even if he doesn't put in another appearance.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Liquidy's. His cat really wants to be e-famous. :v:

I suppose I could also just ring the bell from the word go, but I don't want to open myself up to unwanted co-op, nor do I want to keep pulling out the separation crystal-equivalent. :shrug:

If you've got a password set, anyone trying to co-op with you HAS to use the password, or they can't connect to your game. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in having a password system.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nice, caught this one as early as possible. And I even played the game because I gave myself an early Christmas gift, too!

How far have you played already? Is it still useful to give basic mechanic tips? For example, I never see people recommend trying the transform and L2 attacks of weapons, as well as the running R2s - all of those exist, and especially for the Saw Cleaver the transform attacks are amazing. I told this to my buddy just starting out and he's totally into it, only now he often dies because he wants to chain L1-attacks and just folds and unfolds his weapon, lol

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm thinking a Monday and Friday update schedule? Or Monday-Thursday, I'm not sure yet. Tentatively, we're planning for Tuesday nights around 7 EST to be stream times, but that is subject to change. Assuming all goes according to plan, then we'll be live tomorrow night.

Simply Simon posted:

Nice, caught this one as early as possible. And I even played the game because I gave myself an early Christmas gift, too!

How far have you played already? Is it still useful to give basic mechanic tips? For example, I never see people recommend trying the transform and L2 attacks of weapons, as well as the running R2s - all of those exist, and especially for the Saw Cleaver the transform attacks are amazing. I told this to my buddy just starting out and he's totally into it, only now he often dies because he wants to chain L1-attacks and just folds and unfolds his weapon, lol

I'm in the Church Ward area, after going through Old Yharnam. Basic mechanic tips are welcome, though liquidy beat you to the punch for transform attacks. :v: What do you mean by L2 attacks though? Isn't that just the gun?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in one of the sessions that, uh, isn't uploaded yet. Some weapons transform into a two-handed version, and forces you to put your gun away. That's when your shoot button becomes an alternate attack button, so you effectively have three punch buttons at that point :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddamn, that certainly was an Arby's story. :stare:

Also, Argate's got the occasional counter going in there and it looks really, really satisfying to pull off.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Another reason to keep your saw in short form, and the game NEVER tells you this in any way:

Certain (serrated) weapons do 20% bonus damage against Beast type enemies, like the werewolves. A huge portion of the enemies in the game fall into the beast category.

There are several weapons that count as serrated, although some only count in one form, like your saw.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh yeah, I always forget that the Saw Cleaver is one-handed in both forms. In fact, only the Hunter Axe isn't of the starting weapons, but I used that for most of the game :v:.

One thing you might not have been told yet which I see a lot of people neglect: rallying (getting back health to the orange bar) works as long as the enemy hasn't fallen over yet. So if a fucker hits you and you kill it right back, don't stop swinging! You will usually get one or two more units of regeneration of from their blood, making trading where you win hugely favourable for many weapons (some don't have high regain/don't attack fast enough, but the Cleaver for sure fulfills both).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think the Rally thing comes up later in the session? I do it if I get the chance in later sessions. Also the saw advice is appreciated, but I should probably mention that for the actual character I'm running for the LP (episode 6 and onwards), I'm using the Threaded Cane instead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In which case you should know that the whip form is also serrated.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also, IF the Wiki can be believed (which is, like, 50% at best) the cane form has a hidden damage type called Righteous, which makes it deal additional damage to a certain subset of enemies found in exactly one area. Some of these mechanics are weird.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This is gonna be interesting to watch after watching Genocyber's one :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Bert the Cert put in another appearance so this is another great episode.

ChaosArgate posted:

for the actual character I'm running for the LP (episode 6 and onwards), I'm using the Threaded Cane instead.

When you switch characters are you going to start from the beginning, or continue from where you left off?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Bert the Cert put in another appearance so this is another great episode.

When you switch characters are you going to start from the beginning, or continue from where you left off?

The second session picks up roughly where the first one left off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Double post, but we're probably gonna stream in an hour or so!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren: Stream is happen soon! Clicky this and please wait patiently! :siren:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Weeble posted:

Another reason to keep your saw in short form, and the game NEVER tells you this in any way:

Certain (serrated) weapons do 20% bonus damage against Beast type enemies, like the werewolves. A huge portion of the enemies in the game fall into the beast category.

There are several weapons that count as serrated, although some only count in one form, like your saw.

The game does actually tell you, in the item description. It's not even the first game in the series to do this; there are a few enemy specific damage bonuses in DS1 that are only imparted via item descriptions (off the top of my head, Black Knight weapons doing increased damage to demons, and the Artorias swords doing increased damage to the Darkwraith enemy). Miyazaki loves his cryptic poo poo.

Simply Simon posted:

Also, IF the Wiki can be believed (which is, like, 50% at best) the cane form has a hidden damage type called Righteous, which makes it deal additional damage to a certain subset of enemies found in exactly one area. Some of these mechanics are weird.

If you want an accurate wiki you should use bloodborne-wiki.com. All of the information is straight from the official guide and its layout is much better, imo. In this case your information is correct. Miyazaki loves his cryptic poo poo (it's likely his idea given DS2 did not do this).

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
The way they word that item description is very unclear.

Until I'd read about the bonus damage online, I'd thought it was just flavor text.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Incidentally, I'm super excited for the Switch after last night's presentation and seeing FromSoft on the list of developers definitely has my attention.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man, your co-commenters' advice was just loving you this time!

"Yeah, you totally opened the shortcut!" (even if you did, Central Yharnam is complicated enough that you'd never find back to it without going all the way, no?)
"You can parry bosses!" - that's true, but not for Cleric Beast!
"Breaking limbs doesn't give you any real advantages" - yeah, about that...
"Insight makes enemies hit harder" - that's wrong. It does however make you more susceptible to a certain bad status effect and less susceptible to a good one.

Also, there's another very useful shortcut to the back of the house which you could have taken - maybe interesting for another casual playthrough? It's on the plaza where the brick troll hammers against the door. You might have noticed a window where laughing comes from, I don't remember if you talked to the inhabitants (who only laugh at you more). Next to the window, you can break some debris and fall down among some dog cages - those are right behind the other door of the house.

So anyway, the limb-breaking mechanic is actually super useful to the point where if you know what you are doing, you can shut down some bosses completely. It's just very hard to realize exactly what is happening during the Cleric Beast fight because you're probably panicking, it's a visual mess at first (and second, tbh) glance and the camera is doing the merry-go-round. I didn't understand it until reading up on it and then paying close attention afterwards, either. Which got me my first Cleric Beast DEATH because it's the perfect boss to just R1 spam into oblivion. I hosed around trying to "get it right" and it just stomped on me instead.

The way limbs work: many bosses have hidden health bars on some body parts, and depleting those health bars can stun them for a short time or even stagger them (so you can riposte, aka "visceral attack" them). They will also take a little more damage if you keep hitting the broken limb. For Cleric Beast, this means that you can briefly stun it four times - two arms, two legs - and just keep hitting as it's reeling, with more and more damage racking up. The fun part about Cleric Beast in particular is that it can heal its broken limbs, which only serves to hurt it in two ways - during the heal animation (the red glow that you kept seeing during the fight), it's helpless; and of course, then you can just break the limb again, keeping it basically stunlocked.

And one MORE fun thing to truly gently caress CB over - it also has a head, which you can "break". If you happen to have a weapon that can hit high enough - say, the R1 of the transformed Cleaver - then you can easily do that, and this will stagger it, setting up a visceral. If it heals the head again, you can repeat that process! This may also happen while you're just swinging, if you break a leg of his, he'll crouch down and you can reach the head. None of which you'd realize if you just kept hammering R1 while the camera goes wild, but it's actually a really technical boss.

A final thing about the gun: the (terrible) fextralife Wiki says that you can stagger it with two gunshots to the chest, which clearly does nothing as we saw; I suspect the wiki writer's two gunshots hit the head instead, breaking it normally, it just has little health. But that is the way for you to "parry" the Cleric Beast with the gun.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Simply Simon posted:

"Insight makes enemies hit harder" - that's wrong. It does however make you more susceptible to a certain bad status effect and less susceptible to a good one.

It's actually correct, albeit limited.

Also,

ChaosArgate posted:

Incidentally, I'm super excited for the Switch after last night's presentation and seeing FromSoft on the list of developers definitely has my attention.

:kheldragar: Lost Kingdoms 3 :kheldragar:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 13, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Archenteron posted:

It's actually correct, albeit limited.

Also,

:kheldragar: Lost Kingdoms 3 :kheldragar:

Blood Souls 3: The Demoning!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There are illusory walls in BB, but only hiding very optional treasure rooms in the game's very optional optional content. I've found exactly one of them so far, reportedly there are...five?...fixed ones.

However, I can think of at least one instance where hitting a "wall" breaks it, but a) it's rather obvious imho, b) your helpful messengers will probably tell you anyway and c) that, too, is optional.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

There are illusory walls in BB, but only hiding very optional treasure rooms in the game's very optional optional content. I've found exactly one of them so far, reportedly there are...five?...fixed ones.

Yeah, liquidy told me last night about them and I added an annotation in to mention that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, liquidy told me last night about them and I added an annotation in to mention that. :v:
Man, I was doing the dishes while watching the video, don't judge me :(

• Locked thread