Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
.....dude, that makes me angry.

You're way too good at this.

Anyway, that Isz Chalice? Far and away the best way to grind echoes in the game. If you get the route down, you can easily make 200k+ echoes a minute. Great for leveling up to really high levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah Ebby was the last boss I killed because I could just NOT get her down. She'd hit me with the magic and instant kill me (like the first attempt here), or destroy me with the charge attack over and over and over again. It really is loving hard to dodge, but Argate is just loving good at it, I guess.

I recently had a friend play Bloodborne for the first time on my PS4 and he did her first try. I kinda figured because I know he's better at Souls games than I am, but he also used the BoM and even more ruthlessly just slaughtered her. Didn't even see the magic attack...or the divebomb charge...or much of anything really.

My problem is I think to much. I want to understand bosses and dodge their moves well and I see "ah, this is her weakpoint" and aim for the head, try to bait out attacks and such, when really, I should just R1 her flanks until the cows come home. But then I get HIT and I didn't see it COMING and shouldn't I be doing this SMARTER??? But no. I shouldn't. I should just keep hitting. I still am struggling to make myself do that. Argate has mastered it already.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Simply Simon posted:

My problem is I think to much. I want to understand bosses and dodge their moves well and I see "ah, this is her weakpoint" and aim for the head, try to bait out attacks and such, when really, I should just R1 her flanks until the cows come home. But then I get HIT and I didn't see it COMING and shouldn't I be doing this SMARTER??? But no. I shouldn't. I should just keep hitting. I still am struggling to make myself do that. Argate has mastered it already.

I think part of the reason why I love the Blade of Mercy is because it's super high rate of attack really lets you do a real number on bosses when you decide you wanna get a little greedy, and with enough finesse, getting greedy is really rewarding with the BoM.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I think part of the reason why I love the Blade of Mercy is because it's super high rate of attack really lets you do a real number on bosses when you decide you wanna get a little greedy, and with enough finesse, getting greedy is really rewarding with the BoM.

There is also the added tactic of using a Beastblood pellet and maybe a beasthood rune and just turning yourself into the Yahrnam equivalent of a blender. Doing this you can kill The One Reborn and Ebrietas in 10 to 15 seconds without either getting an attack off.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Hey, Argate told me I could go ahead and put this here since it's tangentially related!

https://twitter.com/liquidypoo/status/860247709751660544

In a reply to that, I made a poll:

https://twitter.com/liquidypoo/status/860248333088108544

Choose my fate!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watching episode 08 right now - is that supposed to happen?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Watching episode 08 right now - is that supposed to happen?

Yes! It'll make sense much, much later, I swear!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ChaosArgate, how much further into the game are you than what we've seen?

Assuming it's not "I've finished it, twice": what do you think is going on in Yarnham?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes! It'll make sense much, much later, I swear!

:stare:

I really, really like the whole Insight mechanic. I'm a sucker for sanity effects. How crazy does it get, like can I expect some Eternal Darkness-level poo poo coming of it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gonna push today's update over to tomorrow, I'm a bit too busy today to ready thumbnails and all that.

Dzhay posted:

ChaosArgate, how much further into the game are you than what we've seen?

Assuming it's not "I've finished it, twice": what do you think is going on in Yarnham?

The LP's all recorded and edited, save for one or two bonus videos, so I'm fairly certain I actually know the answer.

Pollyanna posted:

:stare:

I really, really like the whole Insight mechanic. I'm a sucker for sanity effects. How crazy does it get, like can I expect some Eternal Darkness-level poo poo coming of it?

I can't really say for certain, since I've never really looked into Eternal Darkness, but I don't think the insight stuff'll get as crazy as ED would.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can vouch for kidney stones being horrific fuckers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pollyanna posted:

I can vouch for kidney stones being horrific fuckers.

I asked myself, 'Can 2016 get in any more hits' back in December.

Kidney Stone said yes, yes it can.

Do not get kidney stones.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Which Str/Arc weapon did Artix mean?

'cause there's two.

Although... he said it's silly, so I'm pretty sure I know which one now. 'tis quite silly. I like the other one more though.

As for Skill weapons, Saif all the way.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 7, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Saif is awesome, but its light combo is also a really good path off cliffs if you aren't careful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
In which ChaosArgate continues to frustrate everyone who's died many, many more times to this boss.

gently caress you, ChaosArgate. Give me your power.

EDIT: Also no lie I play Ludwig's OST in the mornings when I want to get an adrenaline rush to wake me up.

SilverFox442
Feb 23, 2017
Ludwig was a good fight. I at least am not frustrated by Argate here because I managed to kill Ludwig the first time I phased him. (After many deaths to crazy mutant horsebeast mode)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I can't wait to show the other DLC bosses because those were a lot of fun to fight. :D

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The reason alcohol (ethanol, more precisely) works as an antidote to ethylene glycol (antifreeze) poisoning is the same as for methanol poisoning. Each chemical has unpleasant symptoms on its own, but the real problem is that your liver will metabolize them into far more horrible things in the process of catabolizing anything weird it comes across. Normally this sort of thing would be fine, because on average a smaller and less complicated molecule is far less likely to do something weird to you than a large one is. But that's on average - methanol gets broken down into formaldehyde and then formic acid, while ethylene glycol gets broken down into glycolic and oxalic acids. All of these in sufficient concentration will royally gently caress your body up with metabolic acidosis, overloading the existing mechanisms you have for controlling pH levels in the first place. And in addition to that, oxalic acid (along with glycolic acid which is metabolized to it) will bind to calcium ions, which robs them from your nervous system/bones and instead proceeds to precipitate out in your urinary tract as kidney stones. (If the acidosis doesn't kill you, these probably will.)

But the helpful thing from a toxicology perspective is that both chemicals, along with ethanol and a number of other things, are all metabolized by one class of enzymes. So because the real dangers come from those metabolic byproducts, slowing their production to a more manageable rate such that your body can purge them is possible by virtue of introducing more things for alcohol dehydrogenase to deal with at once. Ethanol is the obvious choice for this in a pinch, but there remains the issue that it will get you drunk and will only last so long before it in turn is metabolized. (And the ethylene glycol/methanol is competing right back for metabolism, so any given dose is more persistent.) So instead the preferred sort of chemical blocks such enzymes entirely, as with fomepizole.

Regardless, the central principle behind antidotes is that "the dose makes the poison". Your liver is pretty good at breaking down and removing nasty stuff, just not perfect. So oftentimes, if an antidote can't just neutralize a poison directly (such as by negating its effects or binding to it), it can instead work to slow that poison's effect to the point where it's non-fatal or otherwise less damaging. All of those toxic metabolites earlier are fine in much smaller doses - glycolic acid and oxalic acid are both found in various edible plants (the latter especially in rhubarb), and formaldehyde is produced in very small amounts by your own body as a normal metabolic byproduct.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I feel like if you hit somebody in the head with one of your own severed legs that you are holding in your hands, it'd be considered as neither kicking nor punching them, but rather striking them with an improvised weapon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
There is a way easier way to deal with those 2 hunters. Sword Nun will follow you into the jail basement, while the one shooting Snot Rockets will not go down the stairs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oh man, the next part is going to be great

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Will the next part be the episode where Argate's unique interactions with this game fail to trigger? Gonna have to see what's up on Friday :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So are all the asylum inmates in the process of being transformed into Celestial Emissaries/Living Failures/Dead Failures? And are those really bags that they have over their heads?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Those are not bags.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

White Coke posted:

So are all the asylum inmates in the process of being transformed into Celestial Emissaries/Living Failures/Dead Failures?

That was the implication I got. Presumably the Living Failures weren't quite good enough (at doing... whatever it is one wants a Celestial Emissary for).

I think it's a shame that this area isn't part of the "real" Yarnham, except by implication.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I take it as they're in the process of being transformed, but the Healing Church is flat out missing an ingredient to get to the Celestial Emmisary point, all they can produces is failures in this Nightmare.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I hadn't considered in which direction they might be emissaries. That's pretty cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiboHWwr12M

The music for the Living Failures fuckin' owns. The way they timed it so that it reaches the peak of the second phase of the song when they all do their "gently caress this earth" meteor magic is awesome (1:53, gently caress off magic at 2:20). The music in Bloodborne is truly fantastic.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 19, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have no idea why the Living Failures of all things have my second-favourite track in BB (after Ludwig I mean come on), but they do. I think it sounds like Star Wars music after the initial buildup, which is...strangely appropriate!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Started out mad, but got significantly less mad by the end.

Hulk gargling water is quite an apt description.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

One of my favorite Soulborne Bosses

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lady Maria is easily one of my favorite boss fights of all time, and probably my favorite boss fight versus a roughly similar human opponent. But as Argate unwittingly showed off, she is incredibly easy to cheese with parries. And stunlocking for that matter as was mentioned after the fact.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is ... Is DS3's Sister Friede a re-take on Lady Maria? Because it sure looks like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man don't tell me that, I haven't had the chance or the cash to pick up the DS3 DLC yet and now I really want to if there's another Lady Maria fight. :(

For what it's worth, the Abyss Watchers already kinda feels like another take on Lady Maria.

• Locked thread