Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which run are you most excited for?
This poll is closed.
John Romero's DAIKATANA 185 14.93%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 163 13.16%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 172 13.88%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 200 16.14%
John Romero's DAIKATANA 191 15.42%
I'm mostly here for the cucking 328 26.47%
Total: 544 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this some retarded political thing again

At the very least, it's a retarded thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

yeah... one takes courage in this twisted society of ours. semper games

Gamers FTW.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Couple of fun facts about GOAT HUG:

1) It lasted exactly one minute from the first 'HUG THE GOAT' to start of hug.
2) As far as I can tell from the video, the chant started from one guy yelling it.

:3:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was maybe the best GDQ run I can think of ever

there are obviously more fun speedgames at least IMO, but just the game, the runner, all the hype around it, etc

it was the anti-Super Metroid race

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

UraniumAnchor posted:

Couple of fun facts about GOAT HUG:

1) It lasted exactly one minute from the first 'HUG THE GOAT' to start of hug.
2) As far as I can tell from the video, the chant started from one guy yelling it.

:3:

It was the Goat Hug that made me immediately go buy and play Undertale. There may have been some tears involved during the run too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This may sound a little twisted to some of you but part of me is wondering if Undertale true pacifist% in its current state should ever even be run again because everything about its 2017's run was so absolutely perfect and magical in every way. Not joking.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Translator's note: I say this as someone who's listened to the track "Respite" maybe 300 times since the marathon ended :frogbon:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its the soundtrack to my life

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

RPG Limit Break has some good stuff (like that Robotrek run, or the Drakkhen run) but it's hard to figure out which are the ones worth watching since a lot of them are so long.

Brossentia did a run of The Demon Rush. I don't if it's good or bad, but it's definitely a thing that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RarsjmS2UjA

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

The Mattybee posted:

There is a difference between people who play video games and people who identify themselves as "Gamers" just so you know

Okay. What's the difference?

I already have an answer to this question, but I'd like to see what yours is.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

This may sound a little twisted to some of you but part of me is wondering if Undertale true pacifist% in its current state should ever even be run again because everything about its 2017's run was so absolutely perfect and magical in every way. Not joking.

No I agree with this. That was seriously the best ending possible to an AGDQ and any attempt to copy it will just be a weak imitation. Wouldn't mind seeing some other versions if they aren't too long though.

Edit: My go to song since the run has been Megalovania.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beep by grandpa posted:

yeah i agree with this entirely.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Okay. What's the difference?

I already have an answer to this question, but I'd like to see what yours is.

Typically the kind of people who will straight up refer to themselves as Gamers are also the kind of people who support things like Gamergate - for whom "I play videogames" tends to be more of an identity rather than a hobby or pasttime!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
The good news is that after a few hours of work I have a script that can find the black frames in the YouTube uploads and "remove" them (by duplicating the last non-black frame) and I can start uploading the real versions (also with fixed volume where possible, which is most of them).

It wasn't doing it at the start of the event, but I can't recall exactly when it started creeping in.

The weird part is that they're all 10-12 frames at once, and about 21,380 frames apart.

The bad news is that scanning all 170 hours of video is going to take something like 3 days to generate the full list, even when totally automated.

So now my list of 'apply these fixes to all videos' looks something like this:

1) Normalize volume.
2) Remove ads.
3) Remove black frames by duplicating the last good frame.
4) Overlay direct feeds from PC/HD games if possible to provide up to 1440p video and a secondary 'game audio only' track for archive.org.
5) Add title card, including run start times.
6) Add a pinned comment to YouTube that contains the run start time because apparently being in the title card AND the description isn't enough for people. :v:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

The Mattybee posted:

Typically the kind of people who will straight up refer to themselves as Gamers are also the kind of people who support things like Gamergate - for whom "I play videogames" tends to be more of an identity rather than a hobby or pasttime!

Well that's a lot of arbitrary baggage to tack on to a simple concept. When you think about a term like this, you have to consider if people in general would apply that it to you, rather than whether or not you would apply it to yourself. If people saw, for example, that you were watching a video game speedrun event for a week and posting about it on the internet, they'd call you a gamer.

'Gamer' isn't an identity, it's a label. If you're way into video games, to the point where it's a hobby for you, you're a gamer.

And the people actually participating in that speedrun event, what about them? They're practicing video games very intensely, trying to be the best in the world, structuring their whole life around that. Those guys are the gamerest of all.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

UraniumAnchor posted:

It wasn't doing it at the start of the event, but I can't recall exactly when it started creeping in.

The weird part is that they're all 10-12 frames at once, and about 21,380 frames apart.

That is bizarre. With the complexity of the setup over there, you could probably spend a week just trying to track it down.

The only similar problem I've ever heard of is the Hauppage HD-PVR randomly including red frames if you used a cheap USB cable. That wouldn't occur on a consistent schedule, though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The Mattybee posted:

Okay so yeah you were spouting some gently caress-off, bullshit political nonsense. Very inclusive and moral of you to apply an entire list of politics you find personally detestable to a person based squarely upon whether or not they "know" they're not allowed to use your stupid boogyman word anymore. Bravo.

UraniumAnchor posted:

The good news is that after a few hours of work I have a script that can find the black frames in the YouTube uploads and "remove" them (by duplicating the last non-black frame) and I can start uploading the real versions (also with fixed volume where possible, which is most of them).

The bad news is that scanning all 170 hours of video is going to take something like 3 days to generate the full list, even when totally automated.

1) Normalize volume.
2) Remove ads.
4) Overlay direct feeds from PC/HD games if possible to provide up to 1440p video and a secondary 'game audio only' track for archive.org.
6) Add a pinned comment to YouTube that contains the run start time because apparently being in the title card AND the description isn't enough for people. :v:

Pardon me for saying but this post is so full of what the kids these days call "win" that I can barely stand it. I didn't bother adding the raw uploads to any playlists this time cause I kinda messed you up when I did that last year when the reuploads came along. You mentioned earlier asking someone if you could use their audio for the Undertale final vid- can you expand on if that's going to be incorporated into the re-uploaded run vid?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

Okay so yeah you were spouting some gently caress-off, bullshit political nonsense. Very inclusive and moral of you to apply an entire list of politics you find personally detestable to a person based squarely upon whether or not they "know" they're not allowed to use your stupid boogyman word anymore. Bravo.

People that define themselves as "gamers" above everything else are garbage and so are you if you're doing that, hth.

edit: like, it's a legit stupid thing to get offended by that in the year 2017, no one is giving you swirlies while they dump you head on a toilet anymore, everyone around our age has probably played videogames, but the people that obssess around that "gamer" identity tend to be garbage.

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 29, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

But he didn't say "used above everything else"- he categorized basically everyone who uses the term at all. I don't care at all what words people choose to describe their interests, I'm pointing out that it's stupid as hell for him or anyone to make such a weirdly specific personal judgement on someone over a single word that might appear once in their twitter profile or something.

I don't like to classify entire groups of people as garbage but I'd say just about anyone who obsesses over one single hobby/interest they have as their entire identity is probably very annoying to talk to, gaming related or not! (except if it's sonic)

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 29, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

But he didn't say "used above everything else"- he categorized basically everyone who uses the term at all. I don't care at all what words people choose to describe their interests, I'm pointing out that it's stupid as hell for him or anyone to make such a weirdly specific personal judgement on someone over a single word that might appear once in their twitter profile or something.

I don't like to classify entire groups of people as garbage but I'd say just about anyone who obsesses over one single hobby/interest they have as their entire identity is probably very annoying to talk to, gaming related or not! (except if it's sonic)

You should probably delete that from your twitter profile, to be fair.

(You're reading that post too literally. No one would say using the term "gamer" to describe your interests paints you as a Gamergate rear end in a top hat automatically, it's just that a lot of self-proclaimed "gamers" are these weird assholes that will get super defensive about their favorite hobby. Also yeah, anyone that focuses their whole identity on one thing tends to be obnoxious as hell.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias, I think it's time to let you know.

I'm a vegan crossfitter gamer sonic fan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

Dias, I think it's time to let you know.

I'm a vegan crossfitter gamer sonic fan.

It's fine, I have friends that identify as all of those things. I mean, I can't condone crossfitting, but what can you do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TGH's favorite song might be the best pick. hope and dreams is probably the perfect song for any battle in any game. undertale just has insanely good music overall and toby fox has other really really good songs that i wish were in games like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kJb_aAvKY

(i don't read homestuck i found it from googling toby fox tunes)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

TGH's favorite song might be the best pick. hope and dreams is probably the perfect song for any battle in any game. undertale just has insanely good music overall and toby fox has other really really good songs that i wish were in games like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75kJb_aAvKY

(i don't read homestuck i found it from googling toby fox tunes)

Homestuck has pretty good Undertale-like music, some of which was composed by Toby. I can't really tell you to read it, but the music's on point.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

1) Normalize volume.
2) Remove ads.

You are the hero the GDQ deserves.

Also, side note - I noticed a couple of the raw runs weren't uploaded to Youtube yet (I had to watch the VODs of the Star Wars games). At this point are you just going to wait to upload the "remastered" versions of any missing runs?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

DizzyBum posted:

Also, side note - I noticed a couple of the raw runs weren't uploaded to Youtube yet (I had to watch the VODs of the Star Wars games). At this point are you just going to wait to upload the "remastered" versions of any missing runs?

If there are any runs still straight up missing I can go digging. Which games have you been unable to find (besides Star Wars, presumably)?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
What if the black frames are a cypher that a tech volunteer is using to try and safely get out the message that the gdq team is holding them against their will.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Pardon me for saying but this post is so full of what the kids these days call "win" that I can barely stand it. I didn't bother adding the raw uploads to any playlists this time cause I kinda messed you up when I did that last year when the reuploads came along. You mentioned earlier asking someone if you could use their audio for the Undertale final vid- can you expand on if that's going to be incorporated into the re-uploaded run vid?

Enough people have linked the original uploads (in articles and such) that I'll be leaving the old ones unlisted so that nobody's links break, so feel free to add stuff to playlists if you want. And yes, I plan on taking that video and overlaying the audio onto it so that the video includes the countdown/cheering/etc.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

SeXReX posted:

What if the black frames are a cypher that a tech volunteer is using to try and safely get out the message that the gdq team is holding them against their will.

I'm sad now that we can no longer call things Frog Fractions 2.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Frog Fractions 3?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
me thinking about the next gdq :stoked:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm p. stoked for :eonwe: to couch a goon run at SGDQ2017.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dias posted:

Homestuck has pretty good Undertale-like music, some of which was composed by Toby. I can't really tell you to read it, but the music's on point.

yeah the music is real good. sunslammer is another fave of mine.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

you can call em barkley 2.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I would be very happy to donate if one of my favorite partners-in-anime is on the couch.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

"Greetings from Germany, shoutouts to my boy eonwe, I wrote a pastebin about all the drama I'm imagining you've caused there but then it caught cancer, kill the animals because they try to put borders on doctors."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"I will donate another fifty dollars if eonwe stands up and does the Truffle Shuffle"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

:eonwe: see you in a little over 5 months :eonwe:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Studio posted:

:eonwe: see you in a little over 5 months :eonwe:

oh poo poo, its actually an emote, badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

funmanguy posted:

oh poo poo, its actually an emote, badass.

Thank Star Citizen for it.

• Locked thread