Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm lucky to have a car share that allows me to use SUVs that fit my 65" TVs. Cheaper than delivery and the only way I could get a ks8000 for super cheap on black Friday.

My surround speakers and equipment (Onkyo ht-s7800) was even worse. Much heavier and the size of half a fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I finally got a PS4 for my birthday! (And also so dad can watch sports with VUE so it's technically his! :v:)

What sort of games should I buy to start off with (considering budget and all)?

Doom is 20$ and is a great FPS just ignore multiplayer and focus on the amazing SP campaign. Bloodborne is a great game if you ever played a souls game. The Witcher 3, Uncharted series and Diablo 3 are good options too depending on your tastes. If you like multiplayer shooters, Titanfall 2 looks like it's great from goon imput. There's a huge sale going on until the 20th so take your pick (if you like soccer PES2017 is on sale and you can patch it to have all teams and that stuff).

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow the trophies for TLG are pretty hardcore, not much in the way of gimmes just for playing through the game.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage rational people from actually playing the game!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow the trophies for TLG are pretty hardcore, not much in the way of gimmes just for playing through the game.

Welp, no point in trying it out now. Platinum or bust.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also am I missing out much by not having multiplayer added in the payment package?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I dunno, do you play multiplayer games?
Loads of people here play Titanfall 2, and overwatch is also really good if you like FPS stuff.

You also get the occasional good free game on PS+

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just look at the game covers and pick what speaks to you like a tarot deck.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Knack is pretty well regarded by goons

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
My friend just gave me a Vita to play Persona4. I might buy one, the way you can play PS4 remotely on it is really cool. Pity only some PS3 games work though, I just assumed they all did.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My friend just gave me a Vita to play Persona4. I might buy one, the way you can play PS4 remotely on it is really cool. Pity only some PS3 games work though, I just assumed they all did.

between cross buy and PS+ i had a ton of games i could play on the vita when i got it without having to buy anything, it ruled. it's perfect for stuff like Spelunky or Risk of Rain or Binding of Isaac or whatever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah I was thing about all the vita games I added to my cart for the last year of PS+
I've no idea what any of them are but there must be a few. Plus being able to play PS1 games is cool too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
If I ever get a vita for cheap I will have literally over a hundred games to try for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HGH posted:

I didn't even know this existed and wow.
Apparently it was so bad the devs went bankrupt.

They were bizarrely trying to charge full price for a game that looked like it should be a cheapo downloadable title. Makes you wonder if they got screwed on the license.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Does anyone have the ps4 version of Mount & Blade: Warband? Just wondering how it plays as its pretty cheap atm.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
A year of PSPlus for $60 is a good deal that will get you a steady stream of decent to good games as well as enabling MP for some games. In addition to the other recommendations I'd say the first season of Hitman which is outstanding.

I had to take a break from Bloodborne as it started to swallow up all my gaming time and I have too many games to beat to sink 100 hours into just one except Destiny shut up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that game's like 40 hours tops

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rapacity posted:

Does anyone have the ps4 version of Mount & Blade: Warband? Just wondering how it plays as its pretty cheap atm.

Same question, loved it on the PC.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

And then you do a SL1 run, and a bloodtinge run, and :unsmigghh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grouchio posted:

I finally got a PS4 for my birthday! (And also so dad can watch sports with VUE so it's technically his! :v:)

For cheap PS4 games absolutely check out Bloodborne and DOOM. Wolfenstein: The New Order also.

Titanfall 2 is more recent but all of them have great really fun single player campaigns.

If you like 2D fighting games you are basically set with the PS4. For recent ones King of FIghters XIV and the recent wave of Guilty Gear games are excellent. If you want the classics check out the PSN for stuff like Samurai Shodown 6/etc.

The PS4 has a bunch of free to play games on it that are of course grindy and you can pay to get stuff faster. I don't really like that type of game much overall but definitely download and give both Warfame and Let It Die a chance. Warframe really grabbed me with its awesome controls, they made a massive improvement update to it a year or two ago. Let It Die is less interesting to play but the setting is goofy and fun.

If you like RPGs in general DEFINITELY look into The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think Vanillaware may have been a little too in love with Cornelius when making the Odin Sphere remake.

I mean, it's nice that he now has a full array of techniques that give him easy infinite combo loops on ground and in midair and several passive spells which continuously hit enemies and ensure his combo never drops even during gaps in sword attacks, but a loving laser cannon technique seems to be going too far.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got the platinum trophy in about 40 hours, but I can easily see myself going back and doing more runs just because the weapons are so drat fun. If anything I'd like to do NG++ with the Whirligig Saw.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
40 hours for a Souls veteran? DS1 finally clicked with me less than a month ago re: dying being part of the gameplay so I was expecting BB to take me a loooong time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every souls game has taken me about 40 hours on my first run, including my first one

guess I just assumed that was average, idk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Vita is a really cool piece of tech tbh. It's a shame it's all but abandoned--animes aside. There's a good amount of fun non-anime games or "light anime" (just made that up). Especially if you have had PS+ for any amount of time you'll have a huge backlog

I'd recommend it to anyone honestly. Remote play is cool--better with the PS4--but I find it gimmicky and can't see any reason to use it. Maybe if I had a wife that hogged the TV or something. Some games do remote play well with the control scheme.

Anyways yeah they're pretty cheap these days so I think it's worth it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I'm at >40 on my first playthrough :psyduck: I don't even want to know how you got platinum in that small amount of time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can cheese the ending trophies with a separate save

beating the game on your first run and doing all the chalice dungeons that fast would probably require you to have seen the game before tho. at least it would for me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Double-posting that The Last Guardian is a total masterpiece. I think it's the best game released in 2016, a year crowded with good titles. It's a longer story and a bigger world than I anticipated, and just such an incredibly complete experience. The ending totally floored me, and as far as narratives go it's Ueda's finest, most ambitious story. It ended in a way that was totally unexpected for me, in a way that fully capped the story but still left me wondering about the world and its characters and mythologies. I'm really glad the devs chose to limit the amount of footage that got out, because it's a blast being surprised like this, and being shown something both totally new and yet still completely compatible with the overarching world and themes of Ico and SotC.

Goddamn, what a loving ride!

Worth :20bux:+:20bux:+:20bux:

edit, also glad I didn't plow through it in one day. Like sotc I sort of spread it out over the course of a week.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 9, 2017

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Wow, I'd beaten all the previous Souls games and Bloodborne took me over 80 hours for my first run. DS3 only lasted me about 35 hours though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If anyone wants to sell me their used copy of Last Guardian lmk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHZYhO4hIA

idk how I missed this but there's a free Rez theme on PSN since November, grab it while you can

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/area-x-dynamic-theme/cid=UP0751-CUSA05868_00-REZINFINITETHEM2

Also uses my fav Rez song 😎

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I finished TLG, it was pretty good. The ending nailed the 'there's a whole history of poo poo going on here but we're not going to tell you any of it' vibe, even more so than Ico and SotC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Vita/ps3 remote play is horrible and really shouldn't even be a consideration for anyone. For ps4 its perfect for people with families, although some games control schemes aren't the greatest. That being said, remote play is now better if you do it on a laptop or windows tablet (surface pro, etc)

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Real hurthling! posted:

the last hour is a masterwork

unrelated: is infamous 2nd son combat supposed to be punishing? i beat first light 2 years ago and never died but i am having to be cheesy and snipe dudes peaking off ledges for like 10 minutes before i can even approach dup command center in this one. maybe i'm playing it wrong.

I was wondering the exact same thing and i started it up directly after finishing first light this morning. It's pretty drat hard even on normal until you realize you need to bail immediately when the screen desaturates. It gets better when you start getting unlocks to restore health when you use the transport pipe things and when you subdue an enemy. Even then I'm getting chewed up by minigun guys pretty handily.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the minigun guys are annoying cause you need to be close to them when they die so that you can finish them off so you need to kill everyone around them first while they shoot at you then they are only vulnerable for a few seconds and the kill prompt is very finicky so i miss it occasionally and have to start over.

game also crashed on me too tonight. really weird.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Did anyone else get a :10bux: voucher lately that just says invalid when you try to redeem it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

no?

When did you get it, what from? Is it the $10 one some peeps got in November?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHZYhO4hIA

idk how I missed this but there's a free Rez theme on PSN since November, grab it while you can

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/area-x-dynamic-theme/cid=UP0751-CUSA05868_00-REZINFINITETHEM2

Also uses my fav Rez song 😎

Just got it and looks drat nice, thanks!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Grouchio posted:

I got mine last month and basically hit the exclusives first (you just missed a massive sale BTW, but you should definitely pick up these over time).

Destiny complete collection
Uncharted remastered collection
Uncharted 4
Infamous first son and second light
Ratchet and Clank HD
The last guardian
Final fantasy 15 (it has its jank, but it's still pretty good)
Until Dawn

That should keep you busy well into summer, though like I said, you just missed a sale where I picked most of those up for less than £20.

If you've not got a PC then there's a whole heap of other AAA games from the year you could pick up too. Like Doom etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sakurazuka posted:

The stingiest game in regard to trophies that I've personally played was The Swapper. I actually beat it without getting a single trophy. Now that I look them up they are simply labeled in Roman numerals I through X with no description. Probably some pretentious indie nonsense.