Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RatHat posted:

Ellie totally consented to giving up her life to make a cure, she just never got a chance to talk to Joel before the surgery.

i don't think she did, or if she did we are never given that information. she was unconcious from the moment the fireflies find them until she wakes up in the car. the fireflies are just as lovely people as joel. she probably had an idea that it would cost her life though since she's dragging her feet in the last section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Attitude Indicator posted:

i don't think she did, or if she did we are never given that information. she was unconcious from the moment the fireflies find them until she wakes up in the car. the fireflies are just as lovely people as joel. she probably had an idea that it would cost her life though since she's dragging her feet in the last section.
That final look on her face after Joel lied to her was probably the most nuanced I have ever seen in a video game, but I still came away thinking that she saw right through him but is going to forgive it, as children have to for their parents sometimes.

edit: considering TLOU2: Early in development of 1 they described a system where the enemies wouldn't be the normal video game killbots and would sometimes act erratically, running or negotiating or maybe even taking your side. In the end none of that made it into the first game, but has there been any talk like it might be in the second? To me that would be as revolutionary as the nemesis system in Mordor but in a game I enjoy more for other reasons.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, the ending to Last of Us is deliberately ambiguous in its last moments, which makes it stand out in terms of storytelling. That's why you can debate the morality of Joel's actions with the Fireflies, sure, but I find the readings that focus on the lie that Joel tells, and on the relationship between him and Ellie, to be way more interesting. Because that's where the game concentrates its energy in its final moments. It doesn't end at any time before. It ends on Ellie's reaction because that's what matters

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

TLoU ending chat. Of course Joel did what he did in order to protect Ellie, but he also did it for his own selfish reasons.

It's obvious what Ellie would have wanted to do, and Joel made a conscious decision to veto her wishes. It all connects to earlier story beats, like Joel refusing to let Ellie use a gun. He refused to treat her like the individual she is, and made himself her legal guardian.

The whole game is about the pair developing a bond made out of love, and above all, trust and respect. In the end, he once again decides that his will, his decisions, should overrule her will. Of course he does it because he wants to protect her. But he also desperately wants to be her dad, not her equal, and in the end decides what's best for her.

And in doing so and lying about it he sort of 'regresses' her, and breaks or at least hurts that bond of trust they built. It's not a coincidence that you spend the last part as Ellie. You can totally feel the rift between them. The sense of betrayal.

In the end, Ellie decides to play along with Joel's dad fantasies. Because it's easier that way. But I'd be very, very surprised if the lingering doubts in her mind, and her intense feelings of guilt, dont grow into full-on resentment in the sequel. Lying about stuff like that might sound like a good idea at first, but it's not healthy in any way or in any situation. Basing a father-daughter relationship on it? Disastrous.

Just to make it clear. It doesn't matter whether Joel was right or not. He vetoed the wishes of Ellie, killed her mother (essentially) and, above all, lied about it. Badly. He did those things so he could continue to be a dad, and those decisions will come back to haunt him, no matter if you agree with his decisions or not.

Tldr: TLoU 2 is going to be heavy.

I agree with all of this.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't agree with most of that.

More than anything I'm team Joel because I don't trust that the Fireflies knew what the gently caress they are doing and they never actually gave Ellie the chance to consent. They deserved everything they got. He had to lie to Ellie at the end but there was an unspoken understanding Joel did the right thing.

This is what I'm saying though:
I think Joel absolutely did the right thing as far as killing all the people he did. gently caress the fireflies, gently caress the cure, gently caress humanity.

I'm still not sure if he did the right thing when he lied to Ellie.

That's what I'm saying. The real moral question asked by the story isn't the obvious one.

Yeah, I get it, there's a whole faction of people who insist that the fireflies were bad at science, so it was totally justified to gently caress up their plan because they wouldn't have succeeded at making a cure.
I mean, okay, sure that's possible, but it's missing the point. The point is that a cure doesn't solve poo poo. The cordycepts are not the villains of the story. Getting rid of them doesn't solve any of humanities problems.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter whether the Fireflies were right or wrong, because the real question is about honesty in relationships as oppossed to "protecting people from the truth".

It's not like "protecting people from the truth" is a them that's only introduced at the end. It's a vein that runs through the whole story. Characters constantly lie to each-other with the justification that it's to prevent panic or fear. The end of the story is basically Joel admitting that love is stronger than justice.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, the ending to Last of Us is deliberately ambiguous in its last moments, which makes it stand out in terms of storytelling. That's why you can debate the morality of Joel's actions with the Fireflies, sure, but I find the readings that focus on the lie that Joel tells, and on the relationship between him and Ellie, to be way more interesting. Because that's where the game concentrates its energy in its final moments. It doesn't end at any time before. It ends on Ellie's reaction because that's what matters

Yeah this. You can debate his decision all you want but in the end, this is what we're left with and Ellie pretty easily figuring out he lied and there was more to the story, unable to really trust him anymore even though he did save her life. I liked that it had moral ambiguity to it. It wasn't an easy "you did the right thing" ending, it was a pretty well-done bittersweet ending meant to leave you feeling uncomfortable with it all whether you agreed with Joel's decision or not.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Is the last of us anime?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Wandle Cax posted:

Is the last of us anime?

Not sure, maybe?

I'd play a game version of "I am a hero", though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wandle Cax posted:

Is the last of us anime?

no.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

That wouldn't stop Sony from bundling a Sony published game. Imo they are probably just selling well enough that they don't feel like they need to bundle anything.

Edit: Did that code work btw? It was sitting on my shelf for eons but I was 99.9% sure it was unused.

I tried using it, but it said it was expired.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was hoping to play What Remains of Edith Finch on PS4 since that is my indie game console, but according to Digital Foundry the port runs like crap on a normal PS4 and doesn't even maintain 30fps locked on a Pro. So buyer beware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk7JkHGpMI

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Spent the whole weekend playing Persona 5, I only got to 9/15. It's really good, Would have stayed up the whole night if I didn't have to work today. .
What a strong year so far. From what I've played in the arcades, Tekken 7 is looking to be great.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just finished Suda51's The Silver Case. It's interesting to see where Goichi Suda came from, as this was one of his original works, and it's such a departure from that wacky off-the-wall style that I'm more familiar with from games like No More Heroes, Shadows of the Damned, and Lollipop Chainsaw. It's so weird to play a remaster of such an archaic game, almost two decades old, on a PS4 but it certainly was a memorable one. I had no idea what the gently caress what was going on half the time (and having finished it I'm still confused on multiple parts), it wildly changed art style whenever it felt like it, had this weird presentation mix of PS1-tier 3D, updated CG, live action, and anime cutscenes, but I found it oddly engrossing and kept pushing ahead to see what weird poo poo happened next. I think it's like thirty bucks in the States (40 up here in Canada) but I'd say that's worth the price of admission for this bizarre pseudo-dystopian turn-of-the-millennium detective story. The controls are really weird though, kind of funny to have the characters in the tutorial outright apologizing for how bad they are and swearing you'll just "get used to them."

Sefal posted:

Spent the whole weekend playing Persona 5, I only got to 9/15. It's really good, Would have stayed up the whole night if I didn't have to work today. .
What a strong year so far. From what I've played in the arcades, Tekken 7 is looking to be great.

I'm really excited for Tekken 7. I just learned all that New Japan Pro Wrestling stuff made it into the overseas release and I can't wait to screw around with King's Rain Maker!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

VideoGames posted:

:love:

Popcap because I would make the game a fusion of Peggle and Zuma's revenge.

Imagine four peggle balls on the edge of a cliff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just played the Prey demo. I think the game is interesting but I hate that it's called Prey. I loved (even if it wasn't that great) the old one and this one has nothing to do so I kind of feel confused about the name. About the controls, is it normal that it has a weird acceleration on both movement and looking? I feel that I can't be accurate while moving around and less so looking.

Going to pass on this one unless it is 10€ or something and only if they fix the controls because right now I hate that acceleration.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Snak posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Some people mistake the ending of TLoU as being the tired question "Should you kill a bunch of people to save someone you care about, objective "greater good"
be damned?" Yeah like, this question is relevant to the characters and the plot, but it's not the ending, and it's not what the game is asking the player. What the game is asking the player is "Having murderd a bunch of people and possible acted against the greater good and against the wishes of your loved one out of selfishness, lie to them to spare them pain?" Whether or not you agree with Joel's choice, it's explicitly against Ellie's wishes, and done for purely selfish reasons, and the end is Joel Lying to Ellie with the implication that she suspects/knows he's lying. It's really sad all around. Like, I agree with the logic that no "cure", regardless of effectiveness, would be worth giving up Ellie. Getting rid of the zombies wouldn't "save" mankind. But the real conflict is, if your relationship with someone is the most important thing, can you justify lying to them? If your relationship is based on a lie (or lies), aren't you also lying to yourself?"

It's not super deep, but it's not remotely the same conflict as "would you give up your daughter to save humanity?!?!" Which is what a lot of people seemed to the think the ending was about. It was never a question.

They killed in self defense 99% of the time. They murdered two people, 0 depending on how you look at it regarding getting Ellie out of the hospital.

Renoistic posted:

TLoU ending chat. Of course Joel did what he did in order to protect Ellie, but he also did it for his own selfish reasons.

It's obvious what Ellie would have wanted to do, and Joel made a conscious decision to veto her wishes. It all connects to earlier story beats, like Joel refusing to let Ellie use a gun. He refused to treat her like the individual she is, and made himself her legal guardian.

The whole game is about the pair developing a bond made out of love, and above all, trust and respect. In the end, he once again decides that his will, his decisions, should overrule her will. Of course he does it because he wants to protect her. But he also desperately wants to be her dad, not her equal, and in the end decides what's best for her.

And in doing so and lying about it he sort of 'regresses' her, and breaks or at least hurts that bond of trust they built. It's not a coincidence that you spend the last part as Ellie. You can totally feel the rift between them. The sense of betrayal.

In the end, Ellie decides to play along with Joel's dad fantasies. Because it's easier that way. But I'd be very, very surprised if the lingering doubts in her mind, and her intense feelings of guilt, dont grow into full-on resentment in the sequel. Lying about stuff like that might sound like a good idea at first, but it's not healthy in any way or in any situation. Basing a father-daughter relationship on it? Disastrous.

Just to make it clear. It doesn't matter whether Joel was right or not. He vetoed the wishes of Ellie, killed her mother (essentially) and, above all, lied about it. Badly. He did those things so he could continue to be a dad, and those decisions will come back to haunt him, no matter if you agree with his decisions or not.

Tldr: TLoU 2 is going to be heavy.

Her mother was already dead. The firefly lady was no mother figure.

At no point is it ever even suggested that Ellie knew she'd have to die to make a cure and it's impossible to know what she would have wanted.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 1, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In the game yeah but Joel fully admits to being on the other side at some point in his life, during the bit where they get ambushed by people who want to kill them for their stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Finished The Last Of Us. What a stupendous game, wowee! Who agrees with the ending? I'm certainly happy with it but maybe because I'm an old man dad. I'm going to let the whole game gel into the old noodle and take a break for a bit. What does Left Behind offer up? I guess it's a side story, or maybe I play the game over from another perspective.

Anyway, what a good one.

Joel Is Right (but still a bad person)

quote:

More than anything I'm team Joel because I don't trust that the Fireflies knew what the gently caress they are doing and they never actually gave Ellie the chance to consent. They deserved everything they got. He had to lie to Ellie at the end but there was an unspoken understanding Joel did the right thing.
The tape you can find right before the end saying the Fireflies have tried this already and failed because they don't know what they're doing just drives home it won't work. There's probably a way to save mankind but the Fireflies aren't going to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried using it, but it said it was expired.

Crap sorry man. I didn't even know those expired. It came with Dishonored 2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

limaCAT posted:

Imagine four peggle balls on the edge of a cliff.

This, my darling, is the Zybourne Pop.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Crap sorry man. I didn't even know those expired. It came with Dishonored 2.

No biggie.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Wandle Cax posted:

Is the last of us anime?

TLoU features a teenaged girl with big eyes in compromised positions. Clearly anime.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Failboattootoot posted:

TLoU features a teenaged girl with big eyes in compromised positions. Clearly anime.

I feel like this says creepier things about you than the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

How likely is it that Joel will have as big a role this time around? I know Naughty Dog have said Ellie will be the main character in TLOU2, but I could see some sort of scenario where they write him out of the main action of the script for awhile.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
She's no precious flower. I had a good chuckle when she took one of bills gay mags and, while leafing through it asked 'how does he walk with that thing' followed up with 'why are the pages sticky?' only to say she's loving with you.

Girl cusses like a sailor

Joel is only a bad person if, when he was a part of those Hunters, he was an accomplice in the murder of innocent people.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 1, 2017

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I just played the Prey demo. I think the game is interesting but I hate that it's called Prey. I loved (even if it wasn't that great) the old one and this one has nothing to do so I kind of feel confused about the name. About the controls, is it normal that it has a weird acceleration on both movement and looking? I feel that I can't be accurate while moving around and less so looking.

Going to pass on this one unless it is 10€ or something and only if they fix the controls because right now I hate that acceleration.

It's apparently a PS4 specific issue that the dev claims will be fixed in the final version. Dishonored 2 feels kinda lovely to this day so I don't know if I believe it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

How likely is it that Joel will have as big a role this time around? I know Naughty Dog have said Ellie will be the main character in TLOU2, but I could see some sort of scenario where they write him out of the main action of the script for awhile.

Joel is almost certainly dead in TLOU2. Although whether or not he is in the beginning remains to be seen. My guess is that he died between games or his death for the setup in the prologue.

Edit: it's also possible he is absent but he is almost certainly some sort of hallucination in the trailer and isn't actually there.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 1, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle w Benefits posted:

She's no precious flower. I had a good chuckle when she took one of bills gay mags and, while leafing through it asked 'how does he walk with that thing' followed up with 'why are the pages sticky?' only to say she's loving with you.

Girl cusses like a sailor

Joel is only a bad person if, when he was a part of those Hunters, he was an accomplice in the murder of innocent people.

It's a confirmed thing that Joel did hosed-up poo poo like everyone else when he was a bandit. He admits it as much himself on multiple occasions, not to mention his brother being pretty traumatized by the poo poo he made them do to survive. Or even just the guy standing in the road setting up the ambush; "I've been on both sides of this before."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

I agree with all of this.

This is what I'm saying though:
I think Joel absolutely did the right thing as far as killing all the people he did. gently caress the fireflies, gently caress the cure, gently caress humanity.

I'm still not sure if he did the right thing when he lied to Ellie.

That's what I'm saying. The real moral question asked by the story isn't the obvious one.

Yeah, I get it, there's a whole faction of people who insist that the fireflies were bad at science, so it was totally justified to gently caress up their plan because they wouldn't have succeeded at making a cure.
I mean, okay, sure that's possible, but it's missing the point. The point is that a cure doesn't solve poo poo. The cordycepts are not the villains of the story. Getting rid of them doesn't solve any of humanities problems.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter whether the Fireflies were right or wrong, because the real question is about honesty in relationships as oppossed to "protecting people from the truth".

It's not like "protecting people from the truth" is a them that's only introduced at the end. It's a vein that runs through the whole story. Characters constantly lie to each-other with the justification that it's to prevent panic or fear. The end of the story is basically Joel admitting that love is stronger than justice.

I see what you are saying. My bad

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Really dumb question I should know the answer to, but I don't exactly know how to google it.

Is there a way to bring a local friend with me online in games like Rocket League without having the second profile be active with PS+? I have a few dummy profiles set up, but they don't have PSN tags. When I try to bring them with me in RL, I'm asked to sign them in. I've also tried it with the guest function, but it also asks me to sign the guest into PSN. I'm spoiled from the 360 days where you could load up with 3 guests and jump into a match of Halo as long as the one profile had an active sub.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

They killed in self defense 99% of the time. They murdered two people, 0 depending on how you look at it regarding getting Ellie out of the hospital.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

That final look on her face after Joel lied to her was probably the most nuanced I have ever seen in a video game, but I still came away thinking that she saw right through him but is going to forgive it, as children have to for their parents sometimes.

edit: considering TLOU2: Early in development of 1 they described a system where the enemies wouldn't be the normal video game killbots and would sometimes act erratically, running or negotiating or maybe even taking your side. In the end none of that made it into the first game, but has there been any talk like it might be in the second? To me that would be as revolutionary as the nemesis system in Mordor but in a game I enjoy more for other reasons.

You should play This War of Mine if you haven't . This is basically what it is and it's really good. It was a also free so I'm assuming you already own it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 1, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just hope TLOU2 multiplayer is as good as the first one

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: it's also possible he is absent but he is almost certainly some sort of hallucination in the trailer and isn't actually there.
How is that an almost certainty? What hints did the trailer drop to imply this?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shadow225 posted:

Really dumb question I should know the answer to, but I don't exactly know how to google it.

Is there a way to bring a local friend with me online in games like Rocket League without having the second profile be active with PS+? I have a few dummy profiles set up, but they don't have PSN tags. When I try to bring them with me in RL, I'm asked to sign them in. I've also tried it with the guest function, but it also asks me to sign the guest into PSN. I'm spoiled from the 360 days where you could load up with 3 guests and jump into a match of Halo as long as the one profile had an active sub.

There's no 'guest' on PS4 but as long as the profile with PS+ is set as the primary profile in the system, any profile you make on it should be able to go online.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Shadow225 posted:

I have never gotten this to properly work on PS4 no matter how I tried to do it, if there is a way I would love to know the answer as well. I suspect it's broken on PSN specifically but not sure.

To the post above me: it will force the guest account to sign in with a PSN account before you can queue for a match, it doesn't have to be a PSN+ though I don't think (not sure tho). It's still annoying though because you have to basically create a secondary account just for a guest unless I am missing something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well I guess you could interpret Joel seeming to materialize out of thin air when he first walks into the house, that we never see him face on, and that he seems rather nonchalant about a room full of dead bodies all as being a little off. But I don't know if we're supposed to take the TLOU2 trailer as a literal event or as just a one-off teaser that isn't really part of the story.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ellie is 14-15 in TLoU so it's not a stretch to assume it's only 5-8 years later and Joel could easily just be a healthy 60 year old man.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

he seems rather nonchalant about a room full of dead bodies

If you aren't nonchalant about dead bodies you wouldn't last five minutes in that world

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well not so much that they're dead, but that by deduction Ellie brutally murdered them and is now playing guitar over one of their corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'd suggest watching it again because I didn't really catch it the first time but nothing adds up if you watch the trailer closely.

You have Ellie, covered in blood and surrounded in fresh bodies. Joel casually strolls in after whatever went down, completely calm, surrounded in a heavenly glow. He's pristine looking with no signs of being in a struggle. The only thing he does is ask Ellie what she is going to do and she states that she wants to kill every last one of them.

I mean, it could be a red herring or just a really odd trailer but it really feels like it's pointing towards TLOU 2 revolving around revenge for something that happened to Joel. I guess saying it's almost a certainty is an overstatement but it seems really likely to me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2017