Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samuringa posted:

-Dragon Quest Builders
-Yakuza Kiwami 1&2
-Final Fantasy XV
-Gravity Rush Remastered
-God of War III Remastered
-Little Big Planet 3
-Killzone Shadowfall
-InFamous Second Son

Huh, forgot that FF15 existed. On the list it goes. DQ Builders as well, I was super pissed when it didn't come out on pc.

I already played InFamous when a friend went on a trip and left me his PS4, and the rest I don't really care for.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Knack 1 and 2?
Not really interested, tbh, but thanks for dropping a suggestion.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Every time I hear someone is about to play Bloodborne for the first time I smile 😊 my favourite game of this gen and up there in the top 5 for me.
I already played it ('just' once), but I didn't get to play the DLC.
I 100% agree with you; BB is loving brilliant and replaying it is one of the reasons I ended up taking the plunge on the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF 15 is coming to the PC, isn't it?

That reminds me that I still need to get around to FF12 Zodiac Age

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes but it's a Square-Enix PC port so coin flip if it won't explode your computer on startup.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I bought Dead Rising 2: Off the Record off the current sale and it has to be the worst game I've ever played. The combat is boring and stiff and repetitive. Was this a popular game at some point? It's my fault for not watching a video before I bought it but god drat. I managed to play it for about twenty minutes last night and then deleted it. Waste of ten bucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The dead rising games aged realllllly badly

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m the extremely niche sperg who can’t play video games with oppressive time restriction mechanics.

I brute forced my way through Majora’s Mask using the Song of Slow Time and that’s the only time I’ve ever put up with count down mechanics, dead rising is literally unplayable for me and always has been

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I still think DR2 is fun but the combat has always been bad. I just like the dumb schlockiness, love the setting, and think the time limit's great. At least the survivor AI isn't as miserably bad as the original game's.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the song of slow time counts as cheating or weak strategy, there's no downside to using it and the later regions/dungeons would be very difficult or flat-out impossible to do in a single cycle without it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

If you bought a 4K TV today and needed to show off a game to justify the purchase, what would you show?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Seedge posted:

If you bought a 4K TV today and needed to show off a game to justify the purchase, what would you show?

Having gotten a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV over the summer, Horizon: Zero Dawn is by far the most visually impressive game I've played yet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-the-making-of-ps4-pros-best-4k-game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Started the first Banner Saga the other day and it's incredible (so far) what this budget title has managed to pull off. Based on some reviews I can see how the latter half of the game may become repetitive but I'm still early into the game.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Ever since the most recent patch my ps4 has been running really slow. Like taking upwards of five minutes to realize I'm online and loading in pictures takes even longer. Any idea why this might be happening and what I could do to fix it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
To those who have played the Mummy game; can you aim diagonally while standing still? This is important to know.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Finished farcry 4. I got the "bad" ending lol. Watched the good ending on YouTube and I think i prefer the bad one. Was there ever any consequence for killing amita or sabal? The whole last act of the game was dumb as hell storywise

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Renoistic posted:

To those who have played the Mummy game; can you aim diagonally while standing still? This is important to know.

Yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bug_laToBmg&t=80s

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Bumper Stickup posted:

Ever since the most recent patch my ps4 has been running really slow. Like taking upwards of five minutes to realize I'm online and loading in pictures takes even longer. Any idea why this might be happening and what I could do to fix it?

Pull the power cord while it's sitting on the menu, not running anything just to be safe, plug it back in and it should force a database check. Are you wireless or wired?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Liver Disaster posted:

Pull the power cord while it's sitting on the menu, not running anything just to be safe, plug it back in and it should force a database check. Are you wireless or wired?

Don't just cord pull.

Power the system on and hold the button until it beeps twice. This will start it in safe mode and that has the option for a database check.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

me your dad posted:

I bought Dead Rising 2: Off the Record off the current sale and it has to be the worst game I've ever played. The combat is boring and stiff and repetitive. Was this a popular game at some point? It's my fault for not watching a video before I bought it but god drat. I managed to play it for about twenty minutes last night and then deleted it. Waste of ten bucks.

The fun of Dead Rising is Frank's Groundhog Zombie Day. Play again and again, learning the geography and getting the event timing and item locations down, until you can just blitz through the game and gently caress poo poo up.

The fun is definitely not in fighting zombies. They are an environmental hazard that exist to be mitigated, not confronted. Psychos (aka bosses) exist to be chumped out with overly-powerful combo weapons and drink mixes.

I love Dead Rising but it's not for everyone. It's the definition of a B-tier game that does something different and appeals to a (relatively) small niche of people. Capcom ruined it by trying to make it a crowd-pleasing AAA franchise. There's nothing wrong with that but a lot of what works in Dead Rising are things that aren't very popular or crowd-pleasing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 24, 2017

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Boogalo posted:

Don't just cord pull.

Power the system on and hold the button until it beeps twice. This will start it in safe mode and that has the option for a database check.

Well that sounds responsible I guess.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cool, thanks!

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not really interested, tbh, but thanks for dropping a suggestion.

Idiot bitch. Fucker.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dumb question: When 'turning off' the ps4, do I just leave it in rest mode every time, or only when I'm downloading something?

Also, does rest mode continue all downloads? It says that it downloads updates, but I'm not sure if it's only updates or if I can queue up a couple games/demos and go do something else while leaving it in rest mode.

Cheers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dumb question: When 'turning off' the ps4, do I just leave it in rest mode every time, or only when I'm downloading something?

Also, does rest mode continue all downloads? It says that it downloads updates, but I'm not sure if it's only updates or if I can queue up a couple games/demos and go do something else while leaving it in rest mode.

Cheers.

Rest mode is actually the best way to download stuff. The PS4 has really really bad downloading code so when I want to download games I just put it in rest and let it do its thing.
There's no reason not to leave the machine resting all the time.
I've had mine for 2 years and only shut it down if I'm gonna be out for a few days.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

This question crops up from time to time and leads to multi-page debates that are oddly :allears:

The consensus is that rest mode is good for a) downloading poo poo while you're gone, b) resuming play quickly; and that turning off the console is good if a) you do not care about those things, and b) are going to be gone for a while (it saves on power).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I love rest mode and the ability to pres butan on controller, the tv and home theater turn on, and i'm hacking at poo poo in bloodborne in less than 30 seconds.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, sounds about right. I'll probably just use it when queuing up downloads (or if I need to suspend a game in an emergency I guess?).

Thanks again! Sorry for the dumb questions. :B

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used to hate that my Harmony was not allowed to directly power on/wake up the PS4 but realistically if I'm using the PS4 the first thing I do is pick up the controller anyway.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Sad thing about Lawbreakers is that it's actually pretty fun. The movement and shooting feel great, and the maps are fun to play on.

You could tell from a mile away though that it was going to be dead almost instantly upon launch. Which I'm sure just made people stay away from it and became some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

haveblue posted:

I used to hate that my Harmony was not allowed to directly power on/wake up the PS4 but realistically if I'm using the PS4 the first thing I do is pick up the controller anyway.

Even worse, it doesn't even work with all apps on the PS4. For example, it just straight up does not work with the NHL.tv app.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I wish my patches would start in rest mode and not when I turn the power back on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I turn my ps4 off everytime im done playing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rest mode is cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Being able to load up a game quickly is critical because I often lose the drive to start playing if I know it's going to take forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Being able to load up a game quickly is critical because I often lose the drive to start playing if I know it's going to take forever.

Same

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah gently caress if I'm gonna sit through extra load screens in Prey. I know the levels are big but YEESH

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I turn off my console when I'm not using it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fridge corn posted:

Finished farcry 4. I got the "bad" ending lol. Watched the good ending on YouTube and I think i prefer the bad one. Was there ever any consequence for killing amita or sabal? The whole last act of the game was dumb as hell storywise

Far Cry 4 had such a pathetically thin story. By the end of the game I was just like "did I blow everything up, OK, I win". I guess that was a step up from Far Cry 3's story being aggressively stupid and offensive.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Mummy Demastered (reviewed on Switch, but most things I will talk about are design-related and thus, universal.)

Mummy: Demastered - Buyer beware.

First and foremost, I will state that on Switch, it has performance issues. Even in light-usage areas. I have heard it runs fine on PC. On PS4, I suggest you do your homework.

On to the meat:

This is Contra-Vania as created by WayForward. Them that brought you such goodies as Shantae and other games that were throwbacky-but-good.

This game has great pixel animation. Neat (but sometimes a little sparse) art. It has a mechanic where if you die, a new agent (you again) takes over from the last save point, with nothing on him but the basics, and your corpse is a mummy (with all it's health and weapons and functions and special items... if you beat it, you get your poo poo back.

Where to begin..?

Aforementioned (possibly Switch-only?) Performance issues.

Controls are serviceable. They honestly wouldn't be so bad if...

...The gameplay wasn't so punishing. Bats swoop down and shoot right where you are. Mummies rise from the ground, sometimes right under you. Jumping over a mummy that is too close to you almost guarantees you will get hit by a bat or a crow flying over you. This would just be challenging if not for...

...The fact that everything endlessly respawns! So 3 mummies on the ground? You dispatch them, and look, 3 new ones come up in random spots, maybe even under you. Jump? Sure, oh wait, you just got hit by an endlessly looping wave of crows/bats flying from offscreen. Sometimes they come so often that you cannot exit the screen on the left or right without hitting one. Oh and they spawn at your "elevation" on the screen. So more often than not, they are where you are. This is not good... but is made even worse by...

...The fact that when you die, it's usually because the room just kept spawning poo poo in your way, as mentioned above. Only now there is an extra-tough bad mummy version of you firing a gun and throwing grenades and whatever else it has (that you now, do not!) at you.

What the gently caress was WayForward thinking? This is some rookie-rear end game design.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ouch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeah. It’s too bad, too because with some tweaking it could be a really solid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless the bat/mummy rooms get a lot worse as the game goes on it's not as big a deal as that review makes out.