Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I love my dead gay vita but I'm worried I'll eventually drop it in the toilet or something. What's the best place to buy a backup system? Amazon? I hate the idea of buying used/refurb for something I might need in a couple years.

ya, or eBay. Last year or so, either target or walmart were clearing them out for $50, but the closest store to me that had inventory was over an hour away so I didn't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

You are supposed to take those Shrink/Cut to fit jeans to a tailor

fridge corn posted:

my first ps2 game was onimusha

Mine was Oni, my grandfather randomly bought us a PS2 near launch even though people couldn't get their hands on one, but we basically used it for DVDs and PS1 games until my oldest sister went out and bought Oni

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Electromax posted:

ZoE, for MGS2 demo

Great game, I would wish for a PS4 HD collection, but I never touched my PS3 HD collection, haha.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

My first two PS2 games were GT3:A-Spec and GTA3

Lots of Gs, Ts, As and 3s

Two of my fondest PS2 memories were: 1) being blown away by Rally races in GT3, and 2) beating up bystanders with a bat on Xmas while my mom vocally regretted buying me GTA3.

My grandfather for some reason bought GT3 for his house so the grandkids could play. I asked to borrow it, he said "thats fine, just remember where you found it".... it never got returned to where I found it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Morby posted:

My mom expressed a similar regret about getting me GTA3, but her point was undercut by my great aunt laughing at the Chatterbox station. Chatterbox is still funny today. That game holds up surprisingly well in general, but the definitive console version is definitely on Xbox IMO.

Ya, couldn't you use your own music in it as well? My roommate in college got it when the GTA3/Vice city double pack was released, but I didn't play it much then since I was on to SA (I stuck to PS2 back then except for things like Halo or Fable).

The PS4 ports are pretty decent.

Man, one of the coolest things in SA was how you could set it so different cars' audio systems sounded differently. The dinky cars had tinny sounding speakers, while the low riders had heavier bass. I can't remember if the PS4 version actually does that or not. Such a small detail nowadays, but so cool back then. Did GTA4 or GTA5 even do that automatically? All cars just sounded the same to me

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I preferred The Blues Brother theme, myself.

Benny Hill theme is always appropriate to my driving style in GTA

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Region Freedom isn't free. :911:

Region Freedom costs $60

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Roshambo posted:

I'm thinking about purchasing a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 for PS4.

https://www.turtlebeach.com/us/Stea...lxoC4KEQAvD_BwE

I want to know what the chances are it will work for my Windows PC as well, but every site I look at has it listed for only PlayStation products.

If it won't work I would ask for alternative options for a wireless PC/PS4 headset.

The PS Gold headset isn't too bad. I grabbed the Uncharted 4 matte blue edition for $69 a few months back when Gamestop were clearing them out and they look great and aren't bad for the price. I think you can get those for under $70 on sale periodically. $99 is a little steep, but $70 is well worth it. You have to use Windows 10's built in VSS when connected to your PC. The PS4's VSS isn't too bad, but not as good as my Turtle Beach XP510's.

On the Amazon page for the Stealth 600, someone asked if they work on PC as well and Turtle Beach answered: "Stealth 600 for Playstation 4 may work on your PC setup but this configuration is not supported by Turtlebeach."

So they may work, but I'd assume any VSS would have to be through Windows 10 (like the PS Gold).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 16, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I get two average (for me) play sessions per charge on my controller. I don't use headsets and keep the light bar on its most dim setting. That said, I have one of those charging stands that holds two controllers and every other play session I swap them out instead of just tossing it on the arm of the couch.

their battery life is abysmal. the new versions that came with the pro are better (8 hours instead of 5, maybe more if you don't use headphones or crank the light bar). No way I am turning off vibration to save battery life though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Considering the curt/sarcastic responses in the OP FAQ I'm guessing this thread is pretty sick of "help me chose a PS4" posts but prepare yourselves cause I've got one too.

I have a 1080p Plasma and I'm looking at getting a PS4 so I can finally catch up on all the remastered Naughty Dog titles and other PS exclusives from last generation (God of War, LBP etc)

I'll probably pick up FIFA, Madden, a driving game and whatever must haves there are on Sony's version of XBLA.

This probably means I should just get the el cheapo model yeah? Do the titles/types of games I've mentioned benefit much from the Pro models?

I have a 1080p TV. My recommendation is that if you can afford to Pro's extra $100, get one. I had a launch model PS4, and not only is the Pro 10x quieter, but it does perform better. Even in non-optimized games, the boost mode does help smooth things out. Games that previously ran at 30fps with dips down to 20 or 25 now stay hammered at 30fps (or same with native 60FPS games), less stutter, etc. Though, depending on what caused the game to have dips, the Pro may have different effects.

I think on paper the CPU is 30% faster and GPU even more bumped, but actual performance isn't the same bump (obviously), but it can be noticeable if even slightly. Games that are really having issues because of the CPU, that 30% bump may not be enough to achieve full 30/60fps. So don't expect it to be beneficial across the board.

I did notice it in Doom, and same thing with Horizon when I jump between my Pro and the non-Pro I keep in the basement.

Is it night and day difference? no, you really wouldn't be disappointed with the base/slim PS4's performance. But if you don't have a PS4 and the $100 extra isn't a big deal to you in the end, may as well get it for the performance bumps and future proofing for your next TV.

DigitalFoundry has a bunch of videos comparing games on base PS4 and Pro to show performance differences.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 17, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Weavered posted:

People who have loud PS4s; how much space is behind the console? I say this as my silent console is on an open style corner unit so has just under a metre or so of space behind it but next to none around the unit, but a friends is much louder, has space around but the unit is closed at the back.

Might be worth pulling it forwards if you think it's making too much noise?

My launch PS4 on my old TV stand had at least 6" of clearance around it and it was pretty loud from early on. Only got slightly louder later before I sold it, so I know dust wasn't a big issue. My Pro in my current TV stand has much less room (maybe only 3" behind it, and that is with me cutting a big rectangle hole in my stand's back cover), and it is rarely audible. That said, I do have 2 USB fans in the cubby, one blowing in cool air near the intake and one blowing the hot air out the back so it does not recirculate. I'm not taking any chances.

After I realized I shouldn't have sold my launch PS4 because my remote play in the basement isn' t as smooth as I'd like and I want to play Gran Turismo using my racing wheel without having to lug it up and down the stairs each time, I purchased a used UC4 matte blue non-Pro/non-Slim PS4 (the launch style one with the non-touch buttons, and I think a better fan and maybe even lower power utilization). And I have it standing vertical to look all pretty with the Nathan Drake silhouette and it doesn't get that loud either.

tl;dr - I think the launch PS4's were just a special kind of loud, similar to the fat PS3's and non-slim/non-E 360s

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Sony's Tokyo Game Show conference is coming tomorrow. 11 hours from now so NA people can either night owl it or wait for reports while EU folk can leisurely watch it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjOHtdmtao

who needs sleep?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Weirdly I was just playing FFIX for the first time ever on my PS3 a few months ago, having got it for like $5 in some sale forever ago.

I played through the opening bit up until you get to the open world and then stopped, somehow instinctually knowing that the hundreds and hundreds of random turn based battles wouldn't live up to the promise of the completely charming opening act. Assuming I never play it again it will stay in my mind as the perfect throwback Final Fantasy that I never played. Almost like playing FFVII and stppping just after leaving Midgar.

I also stopped FFVIII after like thirty minutes but that's because I could tell it was bad and not gonna get better.

Ya, I'd suggest finishing IX over playing VIII. Lots of people loved VIII, but after going through most of it once (and seeing my sister beat the final boss), I have little desire to ever play it again. In my senior year of high school, I got to the final disc of IX before I had to give the game back to the person I was borrowing it from since school was ending. I never picked it back up even when I bought the game itself. Well, I didn't pick that save back up and have restarted it a couple times.

Maybe I will give it a real go on PS4. OR better yet, see if I still have the save on my memory card (probably downloaded to my PS3) and see if I can just beat the boss with no context, ha.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ended up not staying up for the announcements so am just catching up, but I think it is awesome that a few days ago we were saying how they should port the ZOE games to the PS4 for their PS2 greatness, and then Sony said "we got you".

drat, I just watched that whole thing just for that bass... impressive it was just one person doing it all

Well, there goes my $17

edit: maybe not, it keeps popping errors when I try to add to my cart on my PC, will have to try on my PS4

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 19, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

revolther posted:

If Zelda wasn't a poo poo game reissued every console cycle for nostalgic parents to shove onto their 10 year olds, I could see the comparison but...

poo poo. Maybe it is.

Bite your tongue...

codenameFANGIO posted:

lmao what is with this thread

Ya, goons say the darnedest things...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Hey everybody, for those of you that missed Sony's Tokyo Game Show presentation this morning/afternoon (if in Europe) here's a quick rundown of new stuff at the show.

Thanks for putting that together. I am most excited about the EDF games. The Iron Rain spinoff doesn't even have that bad/cheesy look at that most EDF games have.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya the PC release I got in a Square Mystery bag is basically the same PC release I had decades ago but is able to run on newer computers. The graphics look horrible on it.

While I don't have a desire to play it again, I do think they should give it the same treatment since so many people loved it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but is there a way to use any other controller with PS4 remote play? It's not that I don't like the DS4, it's that I have an xbox controller plugged in all the time anyway and I'd rather just use one device.

I think you could with that unofficial Remote Play app (which I am not even sure if it still works). There may be some drivers out there that can turn the x-input of the XB1 controller into direct input and spoof the remote play app into thinking it is a DS4.

Honestly, it just sounds like a hassle to me. I'd just look for a DS4 on sale somewhere.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

*Sees that Newegg and Amazon have Xbox One X Scorpio edition pre-orders up, scrolls down to see advertised games for the X's extra power, scrolls down to see advertised general XB1 games, closes tab*

*Checks back 1.5 hours later, pre-orders are still up, laughs and closes tab*

I do own a XBone, its a great blu ray player, too bad outside of GOW4, Halo 5 and Ryse, no game interests me that isn't on the PS4 or PC as well

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 20, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Holy gently caress the server maintenance in Gran Turismo Sport is horrible. Between the beta and main game, there have been multiple occasions where the game becomes crippled by server maintenance that they choose to do at 1am et/10pm pt. I can’t even save my progress for the gold I got in the last license test I did and the last time this happened and I assumed it would save locally, I lost 2 golds. So now I just have to wait it out so I can save and quit for the night. Horrible design and planning on their part. Do your maintenance at 5am et, would make a ton more sense.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Gonna grab a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD next week and a dock along with it and do the HD transfer thing, I will not need to de-authorize this hd+ps4 combo for each account, right?

I didn't deauthorize anything when I transferred to my Firecuda 2TB. I only have 1 account though. Just copied to my 3TB USB3 drive, swapped drives, installed firmware on new drive via the thumb drive method, then restored from my 3TB drive. It took awhile, but was worth it.

Also:
a) 500GB is not enough if you have a few replayable games (racing game, Madden or Fifa, a FPS of choice, etc.) and then whatever AAA story based game(s) you are working on (especially if you are waiting on DLC for one and don't want to reinstall all the patches in a couple months), then add in indies at 5-20GB a pop, 1TB isn't even enough.

b) If using a SSHD, I would rather have it as the internal drive and move the original HDD to external, right now my original 1TB that came with my pro is set aside while I wanted to make sure my transfer of P.T. went smoothly (even though I won't play it again) and the Firecuda doesn't die since it seems from reviews that it will either die within 6 months or last the normal lifespan of a SSHD; but if the 2TB gets full, then the 1TB will become and external add-on,

c) I am glad they let you claim your PS+ games now without having to download when you go through the console instead of the website, it used to be annoying when it auto-downloaded. The XB1 went the opposite way with only claiming before and now auto-downloading, and my 500GB + 1TB external on that is 97% full just from Gold freebies, and

d) I hate using the front USB ports for anything permanent, it looks like poo poo. I am glad the Pro has a back USB port that I use for some USB fans to push hot air out of my TV stand cubby and pull cool air in. So hoping I never have to add on the other external drive because then it will make it look messy.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 23, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

You know you can cancel a download, right?

Yep, still annoying.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I kept the standard black controller I got with the PS4 Pro to use with it, along with the PS1 20th Anniversary gray controller I had from before upgrading to the Pro. Moved my white controller for use with the PStv, and bought a Uncharted matte blue DS4 to use with my PC, replacing a 360 controller.

Also, is everyone excited for Knack on PS+ in February? its finally happening according to the email I got today from PlayStation.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Not sure if old news or anyone else posted about it, but the FF7 remake 1st class editions are back in stock on Square's site. Not really my thing, but figured I'd share if anyone missed out when they sold out previously.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Weird question here. My son is 13 and lives 50/50 with his mom or me. At his mom’s he has a PC but not a PS4. So today he says to me he wants to purchase a “PS4 emulator” for his pc. And I’m like, I’m pretty sure that a) doesn’t exist or b) is a scam or c) does exist but is extremely limited in use. I don’t hear anyone saying, “oh I’ll just play bloodborne on my pc via emulator!” Quick google search does bring up a lot of PS4 emulator peddling sites and YouTube videos. So what’s the actual deal here?

I just started playing the last guardian a bit and it’s so captivating! The cat bird is really impressive and organic. The controls are.. clunky.. to say the least. I will see how I take to it and if not then dark souls 1 will be it. I’m half excited half scared to play it because my understanding is it’s very hard and very different from BB and Sekiro. I wonder if I’d have to unlearn a ton of habits.

If this PS4 emulator was between $399 and $499 + tax, tell him the PS5 BC is not emulation and unless he has a Sony invite or wants to wait in line a Walmart on Tuesday, it's a long shot for the time being.

Extortionist posted:

The disc version. A few other people posted that their order went through at about the same time mine did, I wonder if they're affected?

I've seen people post on twitter that theirs was cancelled, so you are definitely not alone.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 19, 2020

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Guillermus posted:

The only thing I miss on my PS4 slim from a PRO is the usb at the back. I use an external 4TB drive and I hate having the cable being around the console. The design of the PS5 having two USB ports at the back, then one USB A and USB C at the front is bliss. If it wasn't because I want one with a drive, I really like how the discless looks.

Ya, I am glad they put 2 in the back. The one in the back of my Pro has usb fans that turn on and off with the console for airflow in my tv stand. So I am glad there is a 2nd USB I can use for the 5TB hdd I bought to connect to the PS5 for my PS4 games/etc to keep as much of the ssd free as possible for ps5 games.

I wonder if we backup all of our ps4 games to an external can we just connect it to the ps5 and then its ready to go for more game installations, or if they will release a separate tool, or if we'll just have to redownload everything on the PS5? I want P.T. on my PS5 unless that is part of the 1% of tested games that doesn't run on the PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Puddin posted:

Tv chat for ps5, how prevelant do you guys think that HDMI 2.1 and VRR will make a difference?

Like here in Aus the difference is around $6-700 between a decent midrange 4k tv and the Sony x90 and other brands equivalents.

acksplode posted:

I'm thinking VRR could be a big deal. I expect it'll make most games' quality mode perform way better, since the new consoles likely won't hit a stable 60FPS at 4K with all bells and whistles. I'm not sure about the other HDMI 2.1 features mattering much for PS5, I doubt many games will take advantage of 8K or 120FPS.

I'd assume most game modes will target 30fps or 60fps and stay mostly stable. So it may be most utilized in games that drop to mid-50's in a 60fps mode. There may be some games that have unlocked performance modes that hit between 60 and 120fps at lower resolutions where it comes in handy, but who knows how common that will be. Of all the consoles coming out, the Series S may be the biggest benefactor of VRR since it targets 1440p and up to 120fps, but who really knows.

My QLED does freesync over hdmi2.0 so my PS4pro doesn't take advantage of it, but my XB1X does, though most games are 30fps targets anyway and the freesync only goes down to 48fps. The freesync mostly gets utilized with my living room PC that I run at 1440p and most games hits in the 70-90fps range with the settings I put it at (its a 5600xt, so not great for 4k). I love it for that, but honestly, with the games that I mostly play on my tv, i'd be fine with a nearly locked 60fps as well (I usually put on radeon chill to get it to 60fps anyway to lower heat/fan noise). So, I do not regret upgrading to it this past spring even though my PS4 and PS5 won't utilize the freesync feature, but it will be interesting to see when I eventually upgrade my 1x to the SeriesX in a few years. Honestly, HDR was my favorite feature when bumping up from my 1080p tv to my 4k other than going up in size.

If you already have something decent enough with 4k and hdr, I'd definitely wait for a decently priced HDMI 2.1 TV, especially with eARC if you plan to upgrade sound systems as well down the line, and Dolby Vision. Otherwise, if you see something that is a really great deal later this month when the holiday sales start, it may be worth it to upgrade if you think most games/modes you'd use would be the 60fps (or 30fps) locked targets. If you are the type to keep this next tv for 10+ years, than ya.. maybe just wait or grab something now with 2.1 and vrr (LG OLED, Vizio P series Quantum, etc.) if they hit a price during the sales that you are comfortable with.