Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
That's a good OP, OP.

About the KS8000 60" though, IIRC all we really know is that it's probably not a Samsung panel which might be a good thing rather than something to be avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I've read the product description of 2.8 and how much actual game is there? Or are people paying $60 for a bunch of anime cutscenes

It's an HD remaster of a 3DS game, an entirely (very short) new game, and a feature-length anime cutscene CG movie, all in one convenient package.

Edit: the 3DS game is good.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Kingdom Hearts 3 never had a release window to begin with but it's starting to look like a 2019 title by now.

Square need to fire Nomura hard and fast and a decade ago

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Hey check this out:

Crash rhymes with trash

Makes you think (that it's true (because it is))

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Anyone waiting for the "cutscene patch" to play FFXV is setting themselves up for disappointment. Its storytelling problems are largely structural and you won't miss anything by playing it today. Game's good.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Bump the difficulty down to the lowest setting and just let your eyes glaze over during the shooty parts. It's the only way to enjoy Uncharted if you're not weird enough to like its bad shooting.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Im 90% of the way through gravity rush 2 and they have no idea what the gently caress they are doing with this series.

I loved 1 but they didnt fix any of its issues and seem to have doubled down on making it unfun to play in 2

There isnt any main story still, its like a collection of kinda related threads that dont work. All the energy is sapped out too by huge pauses in between scenes while waiting for them to load or trigger or whatever.

The gameplay is terrible and shows very little core development. The alt modes are more of an anchor than a set of useful tools. And the missions are really tedious bread crumb trails to bad fights with a few cool exceptions here and there.

They need to give more control over flight without needing to pause. The 2xR1 system they have is horrible.

They need to have some kind of camera lock on so you can follow the little humanoid bosses around better. Its way too easy to lose all orientation

They need to have a combat system more akin to a character action game or brawler cause gently caress this is really unfun to play. Like the game gave me panther mode against a boss and you win by tapping square to stun lock her for 4 hits against the wall until one hit gets to count and after like 3 mins the boss dies and its the end of the second to last chapter. It makes no loving sense like nobody gave a drat about designing these fights.

Idk i really had high hopes i guess. Game is still gorgeous and probably more objectively a 7 or 8 if i wasnt frustrated but playing it makes me very frustrated so i give it a 4 for being a pain in the rear end.

Hey man, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I don't hate the game, and I want to love it, but I can't bring myself to do so. It has the design sensibilities of a Vita game, still. Which is dreadfully depressing when you think about the fact that it's made by the game director who gave us the first Silent Hill and Forbidden Siren (and Gravity Rush 1). There's some of that weirdness in GR2, but next to none of the mechanical inventiveness.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 9, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

After purchasing and failing to enjoy Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne, I decided it was still not yet time to learn from my mistakes and pulled the trigger on Nioh.

I'm... enjoying it quite a bit? It's a looty Ninja Gaiden with a thin Souls veneer. Having only beaten a couple of missions the game still has plenty of opportunities to sour me on it in the future, but for now I'm slapping on all the ninja gear and going to town as William Hayabusa.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

The difficulty level is really what deters me from picking it up, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like I might take to it better than I did Dark Souls.

While Souls veterans will probably insist otherwise, Nioh is not an easy game. That said, it has a number of things that make it significantly easier to play than Souls games. The mission-based structure (as opposed to Souls' interconnected world) lessens some of the overall stress of bring in an ultra-hostile game world. Likewise the lack of item durability (as a system) removes another potential stressor. For fights there's even a get out of jail free card in the form of a special move that powers up your attacks and renders you effectively invincible for a short duration.

It might turn out to be a deception, but Nioh definitely takes great care to make the player feel empowered through a wealth of combat options and a steady stream of loot right from the start of the first proper mission.

Game will still kill you a lot though.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm finishing up side missions in Gravity Rush 2 and on the third scene of Battle Nurse 2 where you have to breakfall at the end of a long jump off an air bus, and I have failed to breakfall like 20 times in a row and Kat just face plants every time. I have been playing this game and its prequel for a long time and the breakfall mechanics are nothing special for action games, they had become second nature a long time ago. What am I not understanding here?

The mission is dumb and bad and what I ended up convincing myself must be true so as to avoid madness, is that camera positioning matters. I sincerely hope this is not actually true because it would be insanely stupid, but I found I could pull it off only (and even then not consistently) if the camera was more or less horizontal; Kat would then gracefully roll "forward" if I held up on the left stick and timed the dodge correctly. Does she try to roll into the ground if the camera is pointed straight down...? I managed it in the end, somehow.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Hello PlayStation thread, it's been a a few weeks so this may have been addressed already but. What are people's experiences with HDR in Horizon?

I find I need to max the in-game brightness slider to remotely match image clarity/visibility with the default (50%) brightness value in SDR. This is with a KS8000, properly calibrated for HDR and SDR. Maxing an in-game brightness slider feels insanely wrong (currently running at a dusky 80%), but the game is virtually unplayable at 50% even in a darkened room.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

MZ posted:

For HDR gaming you need to set Dynamic Contrast to High on the TV.
But that absolutely destroys all subtle (and on High, not-so-subtle) color detail :negative:

UC4, TLoU, Resogun, and FFXV all look fine, the crushing darkness seems to be unique to Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Scorps posted:

FFXV Ending Chat: I thought the ending was cool to watch but unsatisfying and made no sense to me. Basically you wake up after 10 years missing, meet up with your friends with little to no fanfare at all, immediately walk up to the castle where you have the final fight, then you just leave your friends standing outside with a basically undefeatable army encroaching onto them while you go inside and kill yourself to restart the world. Then it all just happens again? What am I missing here, seems more like you hosed everyone over to an endless cycle the more I thought about it.
I feel like it would make way more sense if you sacrificed yourself and save everything (as in SEE what the results after saving them are) rather than literally going back to the beginning of the game because everyone already died.

I still enjoyed FFXV but the ending was just kinda like, WTF is going on to me especially with what happens to the other members of the gang.

Where did you get the cyclic recurrence idea from? The game is pretty explicit about the end being, in fact, the end.