Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it sort of did. The ending patch alone didn't 'fix' ME3 but it combined with the Citadel patch seemed to have paved over a lot of anger.

There was way more outrage over the ending of ME3. Because the ending wasn't what people wanted, and they hated the idea of 3 color choice endings.

FF15 (at least from what I hear), the plot is more... entangled? than your usual final fantasy plot. The plot is at least there, and it has a better... ending than ME3. It just needs some restructuring. It might even be better received when we get a PS5, and FFXV 4k Remaster with all DLC and patches intact.

You have to give Square props for trying. If Bioware didn't have so much hate over the ME3 DLC, they probably wouldn't have patched it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Manatee Cannon posted:

me3 wasn't just the weak ending to a game; it was the weak ending to a trilogy of games, in which you made choices that shaped your character and the universe (s)he lived in. having an awful ending was a much bigger deal with that game because it was following two critically and fan acclaimed games that were liked in large part because of the characters and the story

Yeah again this is why FFXV might fair better than ME3.

People were VERY loving UPSET about taking their Shepard through an entire trilogy, to what basically amounts to a cop-out ending. They bonded with their Shepard over what, 5 years? Nobody bonded with Noctis and his gang.

FFXV just needs more content in between. And maybe a little work done to pacing (if that can be achievable) and it'd be so far better.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i mean you couldve patched the ending of me3 if they had patched the ending for me3 and added an ending but what they did was barely add a cutscene. ffxv supposedly still has like most of the team still working on the game or something

Citadel is kind of like this. I'm sure not officially, but it's intended to somehow takeplace after the ending. Bioware was stuck with the hole they wrote themselves into, and it would have likely been embarrassing for them to retcon it and write something completely different.

FFXV doesn't need the ending to be rewritten or something. It just needs more writing in the middle.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Digirat posted:

Unfortunately mass effect 3 had a lot of really weak stuff totally unrelated to the ending, so even if they had patched in a great ending, it wouldn't have fixed the majority of it. See: Kai leng, that goddamn kid, most of the neutral dialogue options going away

It has some really good highs though, so those could have been forgiven but essentially the ending broke the camels back and opened the floodgates to bitching.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The ending to Mass Effect 3 involves the player being badly injured and walking slowly down a hallway which is always fun in videogames.

Mass Effect the first had the best villain.

Metal gear solid 4 did it first.

Then helped by doing an awesome fist fight after.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sunning posted:

GTA Online has made over $500 million in revenue. It's great for Take2 to have an ongoing service since the tend to lose money whenever they don't have a GTA or Red Dead game out for the year.

I expect a lot of upcoming games to experiment with MMO-lite features. FFXV will have an online avatar system patched in the future.

Just for clarification, I believe the $500 million was from sales of shark cards ALONE. That number was released almost a year ago.

Remember this game is consistently topping the sales charts too. I wouldn't be surprised if the total revenue (not profits) from ALL of GTA V (including last gen) surpassed 1 billion by now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I still can't call nioh better than the dark souls games. Nioh does some things better but it does have just as many flaws as any of the dark souls titles.

But as mentioned before its like they forgot to make the rest of the game challenging after the first few bosses. And they reuse levels for side missions and the enemy variety is probably less than half of any dark souls game.

I hope they at least learn and improve for a nioh 2 or whatever spiritual sequel they do (Irish or viking mythology?)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Nioh is better because when a boss has more then one phase and I beat it I don't have to beat it again for bullshit challenge reasons.

And I can coop easier.

But it does have problems. Pretty amazed for a first run at the formula. If Nioh is their demon souls I can't loving wait for their dark souls.

The boss thing I don't understand. Is it because nioh bosses don't transform and say 'ah this is my true health bar!' nioh bosses have phases too and make you restart the fight with the full health bar (for example, bozu in and out of water). Aside from that one boss at the end of the first dlc in ds3(which your complaint seems to be about) , I can't think of any dark souls bosses that actually did phases that would correlate to your complaint (okay maybe o/s in dark souls 1 too, so two boss encounters in five games, doesn't seem like something to complain about)

You're going to get a lot of people that disagree with coop. The main reason is, to even be summoned for anything, you have to beat the level yourself. Summoning someone is about the same, maybe a little better,since you can just go off and fight enemies while it match makes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Its still early enough that getting summoned takes 15 seconds, and I don't have to travel to a place to do it. much better. I understand the summon restriction hate, but it means you theoretically are going to get help that knows what the gently caress they are doing. The play everything coop restriction is bullshit. But I like to sunbro and that has been streamlined immensely.

If I want to help a rando with a rando boss, I hit the button and am in the game helping them less then a minute later. Its great.

Have you beat it? Keep playing. Maybe phases is wrong. But there are back to back bosses later. Which is just like some bullshit DS3 fights, thinking dlc here.

I've reached area 5 and level 90something. So probably over 75% through the game. Summoning is good now because the game is active. But it can be flawed in its own way, for example, you can't help someone with something new and learn it for your own game. Or get halfway through a level, drop a summon sign and help someone (small white soapstone) for a resource refill. And I can summon or be summoned anywhere, it's just other people like to choose specific places. I will admit again, the ability to go somewhere and let matchmaking find someone is great.

That's why I can't just call the coop better. It's worse especially in the context of friends or trying to complete a game together.

And I can hit a button and help someone randomly in dark souls as well *places soapstone before a boss, takes one button press* and better yet, I get to choose where they can summon me in the level. In nioh, that's a bit of a wildcard. If you try to help for umi bozu, it's a crap shoot if they've lit all torches or not. In dark souls, just place soapstone right before boss fight and you'll be summoned for it.

Nioh just does some things a little differently than dark souls and that just means it's better in some ways but can be worse in others.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

New Battlefield 1 dlc will have operations and that has the potential to be way more interesting and populated than Bf4 dlc.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

Woohoo I'm joining the pro generation, a friend of mine was hovering over the idea of getting a ps4 for when the final fantasy 7 remake comes out and he's willing to buy mine, £250 for the console, FFX/X-2, FF15 and I'm throwing in Call of Duty and Madden as well.

Just the small matter of which 4k tv to get now.

Ks7000 (the equivalent of the KS8000 in the states)

That's really your only option unless you can afford the LG oled or you find that one Sony on a better deal than the Samsung.

Everything else is a waste of money and you're better off waiting if you can't get any of the above 3 tvs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay I take back what I said before, the talky in Horizon is good for setting up an open world game. There's nothing like being on a mission from god to give you license to do all the normal open world stuff.

edit: I'm worried I'm gonna get this story and the one of Nier Automata mixed up in my head though, since both are about a post-apoaclyptic world covered with hostile machines for mysterious reasons.

Why did you mention zelda: breath of the wild in your post?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't mention it in my post (because Zelda can eat it and poor dead Metroid was the real deal) and got told I did, so I am confused.

I was making a joke as March is national apocalypse with mysterious machines and long dead civilizations open world games month.

It's like how there's a joke if someone asks about what movie this was, someone will say groundhog day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I can't wait to play that new game. Where I can shoot or slice up giant robots and their weak spots.

I also can't wait to find and discover items in out of the way paths and to learn and use new weapons and abilities. I think there might be some customization too!

I do hope I'll be able to discover what happened to the civilization that happened before this time. The lore should be rich and have lots of room for interpretation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is there any word on a white PS4 Pro? Should I just get a slim instead? The console must match my white xbox one / wii u god dammit!

Just buy a ps4 decal skin for 20 bucks. I did it and it looks great. Advantage is you can go ahead and get the pro now and not wait.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I do appreciate the summer is a drought. It means whatever we couldn't afford to buy/play is now more like summer releases for us (at 20 to 30 bucks off!)

Just getting into Zelda now which might take up a whole month then probably get into dark souls 3 dlc and mass effect but I've got Yakuza, hzd, Nier, maybe both Kingdom Hearts collection, berserk, dangan ronpa and notary games, persona as options and that's just the ps4 games that released this year alone will be out before summer starts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Multiplayer should provide a few hours of fun on its own unless they completely changed the system from me3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

I would almost buy it based on just the multiplayer if its similarly structured. ME3 multi was dope as hell.

It sounds like it could be similar, I already heard about thing s like booster packs and what not (the deluxe edition comes with a booster pack). And it is supposed to be a coop experience.

The question would be if it is fun and rewarding enough to keep you playing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

I impulse grabbed one for Forza last year and because the new one was so cheap. I haven't used it since (I did enjoy the game a lot though) and don't really think there's much incentive to own both any more, especially given most Xbox exclusives are going to be playable on the PC. One thing is for sure, I'll never compain about the PS4s interface again.

Forza is the last best thing Microsoft has I think.

Gears is great but maybe not everyone's cup of tea. Tbh, I think halo is ruined and it won't be the beast it used to be.

Even if they change it around with Scorpio or Xbox one-two, the exclusives alone will make me stay ps4. Sony would have to really gently caress it up to make me consider xbox next generation (and I've already skipped it this generation)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah 4 is just a proof of concept kind of thing. And 4answer is the only good ac game we got last gen.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fix posted:

Hey, that Nier demo was pretty damned legit. Another one to add to the list, I guess.

This list is... uh... getting kinda long here.

You know what you gotta do? Go play games so you can free up time to play even more games.

You'll be done with that list... One day....

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Drakengard 3 had dragon pissing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is seriously such a good loving first 4 months of the year, especially for ps4. Even better with a wiiu. I have to imagine some Xbone owners why only have just the Xbone are really salty about missing out on like nioh, Yakuza, Nier, and horizon. And it's gonna get worse with persona on the way, and the kingdom hearts collection and so many anime games like gravity rush 2, dangan ronpas or nonary games. If you don't have a ps4, you really are going to miss out on so much.

Sorry guys, turns out we made a deal with the devil. In order to have this fantastic year of games, trump and brexit had to happen.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wiiu wouldn't have the 3ds ones so you lose tri force heroes and link between worlds.

And no links awakening or Oracle games on wiiu either.

Still, you'd be set with both.

Joke answer: wand of gameleon

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Consensus is very dividing, almost like horizon (the very early looks). Some people like me:a and there's a few people that seem to be hating on it just to hate on it. Wait and see what your favorite reviewers say.

I'm hearing the multiplayer is pretty solid and that's all some people wanted.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

goferchan posted:

You have to do absolutely everything 100% in the game to unlock it (which is a pretty good grind) so you'll probably never want to touch it again at that point anyway . And there's narrative justification for it

Well not really. You don't have to do a good chunk of sidequests. I didn't do that ridiculous moon flower grind and I got that ending.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Basically the back end of the year could be just as bad as the front. In terms of number of games, not speaking about quality.

If we count new Zelda for front half, then there's a new Mario for back half. And as said before, expect a few announcements at e3 and destiny will be a really big release. Say what you will about destiny but it apparently has a few million unique people sign on over a monthly basis. It's a surprisingly active game.

Who knows what comes out at e3 as well. I'm sure we'll see a few smaller projects announce there and release by end of year. And there's still games that get announced at e3 and release for first half of next year like dark souls 3. So even if the back half isn't as strong as the front half, we're likely soon to have another good front half in 2018.

This summer is a great chance to catch up on games released during the front half that you didn't have money/time to get into. I wouldn't expect anything major to come out in may/june/July and August. So it's more like we've had a strong third of the year, we'll have a break for the second third, and there's still quite a few big releases for the last third.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I forgot to complain about it in my previous post but WoFF's Tama is unequivocally the worst mascot character. Seriously dropped the ball of not having the Tonberry or Cactuar conductor be in the same position without the insanely bad verbal tic.

I don't the-know what you're talking about. Seems the-totally normal to me the-dude.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Do any headsets actually connect to the ps4 wirelessly without a dingle? Just curious.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Heh, dingle

Also pretty sure no. Again, if your TV has bluetooth that might work. Then of course you need chat

I think some of the propietary little bluetooth ear pieces might connect sans dingle

Some headsets have a "base" that charges the headset and acts as the dongle. I mean it still plugs in via USB so it's essentially the same thing. If you don't use a mic you can just find a headset that uses the optical out from the PS4. But any headset needing a mic will need to plug into a PS4 USB port

Anyways yeah options are a bit limited. When the PS4 first dropped I think they mentioned in a blog they were working on BT headset or mic support but I doubt it'll ever happen at this point

Dingle, dongle apparently my phone consider dingle a real word and not dongle.

Anyways, was just curious if they actually did something about it. I guess I'll live with dongle headsets.

I imagine it's just like ps1 emulation. There's no reason Sony couldn't do it... But you're better off not hoping on it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

vandalism posted:

I just bought a ps4 pro for Nioh and Bloodborne. I'm pc gaming master race, but poo poo looks decent so far. It's also nice playing on a 42" TV. We will see how things play out.

Those games will probably both be released for pc within a month, just for the universe to spite me.

Really, the most 'missable' console this generation is a Xbox one. You'd probably want the PS4 for all of those great, quirky japanese exclusives like Yakuza Zero, but it has some solid franchises like Uncharted 4, or now soon to be Horizon Zero Dawn.

A wiiu is a good purchase but you'd basically use it for nintendo developed and published games only. And bayonetta 2/wonderful 101. Breath of the Wild is fantastic, and I think everyone needs to play it, but it's also a switch title as well.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It evens out with suspend resume meaning most of the time I am playing instantly after hitting a button. Nier Automata may load faster on my PC but I get two extra load screens every session

That's actually a pretty big deal isn't it? If you never play another game, you can do the entire game as one massive suspend/resume session. But if you only have time for 30ish minute sessions, that two extra load screens may cut into it every time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If anything, the PS3 generation is one of the reasons PS4 is so great right now, because western devs were forced to fill the vacuum left by Japanese devs who couldn't do poo poo on that system. Sony basically had to shift their portfolio emphasis to devs like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac in order to push the potential of a system that was notoriously difficult to develop for. All those studios were key in the middleware R&D network that is so strong in Sony's camp today, and they all share tech.

With the Japanese devs returning in droves on the PS4 due to a studio culture shake-up we basically get the best of both worlds, strong exclusives from all hemispheres. It's actually kind of awesome to watch. The last time this happened was back on the original playstation, and even though many of my all time favorites were on that system...games these days stand the test of time a hell of a lot better than they did at the end of the Golden Era, since the early 3D home titles looked so transitional.

One could argue that playstation 2 was just as strong. You got Jax and Daxter and the Rachet and Clank games. And we know the PS2 probably has the highest number of actually good games, just because it sold just about the most consoles as well as probably the most software titles sold in total.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, the PS2 felt like a decided shift away from western devs. Japanese title support was extremely strong on that console, but the western stuff, aside from obvious examples like God of War, just always felt like an afterthought. J&D, R&C, and Sly Cooper, while generally well respected by their fanbases, all seem like they're building to something more...but they never really get there, maybe because the conceptual art assets were so far behind what the japansese game industry had been up to in the 90s. The PS2's success in the west seemed less tied to western games and more tied to adoption rates of DVDs.

Whereas the PS1, even though it was pushing a certain type of technology, was fundamentally a joint project between Sony Japan and Sony Europe. There literally was no PS1 without the early success of SCEE and Psygnosis, subsequently backed up by FF7 and that whole tsunami of titles.

But see, when I think PS1, I still think of a lot of Japanese developed games, from Final Fantasy to Parasite Eve to PaRappa The Rapper, to Xenogears to Metal Gear Solid.

Nintendo 64 probably has better american support from Turok to Goldeneye, every RARE game like donkey kong, banjo and conker, the cruisi'n games, a exclusive version of DOOM, and finally I believe the nintendo 64 still has the most great wrestling games.

PS2 just has as a strong push from not-japanese devs as the PS1. I'm merely speaking from a games development point though. (Timesplitters is another game that got it's start on PS2). The other side of saying this is, the PS1 non-japanese support was just as weak as the PS2.

It's probably true that most of any American/European games development from NES to end of PS2, was for the PC.

Xbox has a pretty solid roster of American dev support, but... it's an american console so the first party games were american by default. You can't say that about PS2 or Gamecube.

The PS3 and the PS4 does have a marked rise of western devs. Maybe they realized those consoles finally had the power to do everything they wanted. I just couldn't let you stay with the idea that the PS1 was any better than the PS2, when in reality, they're about the same.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nintendo has always done its own thing. The switch will one day be redeemed, it could be super mario odyssey, it could be the second zelda game, or it could be an awesome new kirby game. Or maybe xenoblade chronicles 2 for those rpg fans.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah making a high power high cost machine doesn't seem that beneficial to helping xbox recover. Some people will buy it but not enough for the xbox brand to catch up to Sony.

A console probably mostly succeeds on three things: the price (Microsoft lost to Sony from the beginning when the ps4 was 100 less), exclusives (ps4 has the better/more exclusives and most Xbox ones are on pc anyway) and probably the accessibility of the system/ui (both consoles are likely tied here)

The Scorpio does not do anything that helps any of the above three points. All it is is another option for Xbox gamers to choose but it won't make up for the 20+ million console lead the ps4 has.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 27, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Did that update actually change anything about the raids or is it just kind of like a victory lap kind of thing to do for gear? I've done vog so many times, I could probably sleepwalk through it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hahah I loved that. Scroll past Metal Gear Solid 4 save files and you'd wake up the whole house

Lemme give some ps3 owners some pstd.

Quantum conundrum.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the gently caress...

This happens when people build up expectation and hype.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Rebate

I got an email about the promo don't see it anywhere else so not sure if you have to click the store link in the email or what

Can we get a screen cap or a link? I might do this for a persona 5 preorder.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Honestly it really does perform pretty badly. It's not the greatest on a regular ps4, and even on a pro, it's less than stellar.

Then there's the fact that the game mechanics are all outdated by like 5 years. It would have been a perfectly reasonable ps3 game but as a ps4 game, it's kind of weak.

I still like it a lot, but I can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

check out the TF2 thread some of us are trying to group up to play tonight 6-7 PST-ish

To add to this, this weekend is double exp plus a new free map.

I'll probably start a party soon, my psn is Ineffiablefx